The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Delaying Scans due to Injury

Forums General Melanoma Community Delaying Scans due to Injury

Participant

Just wanted to get a pulse on if I am being crazy or not… regrettably, I partially tore my achilles playing softball last night. I was scheduled to have my routine 6-month followup CT scans on Monday but I delayed them until July so I can get through this achilles recovery. I am stage 4 but approaching 2.5 years NED after a successful bowel resection a couple years ago. I feel fine and have no symptoms that would indicate a reoccurrence but I also recognize that symptoms are not always present. Although I am ok with a 2 month delay in scans, does that seem like too big a risk?   

Kevin

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Kevin,

Glad you feel like playing ball, but sorry you crash landed!  I doubt your injury would confuse anything on a CT scan…1. They're probably not scanning your ankles and 2.  CT's don't "light up" with inflammation the way PET scans do in a confusing sort of way…esp with you having a known, specific injury.  However, the every three month then every 6 month scan routine is a rather arbitrary "rule" that somebody just made up….so I think you are fine to wait.  You'd hate to have the scans….meet up with a flip/flopping radiologist…and have to repeat them all just for clarity.

Hope your injury resolves quickly!!!  Good luck, celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Hey Kevin,

Glad you feel like playing ball, but sorry you crash landed!  I doubt your injury would confuse anything on a CT scan…1. They're probably not scanning your ankles and 2.  CT's don't "light up" with inflammation the way PET scans do in a confusing sort of way…esp with you having a known, specific injury.  However, the every three month then every 6 month scan routine is a rather arbitrary "rule" that somebody just made up….so I think you are fine to wait.  You'd hate to have the scans….meet up with a flip/flopping radiologist…and have to repeat them all just for clarity.

Bubbles
            Participant

Hey Kevin,

Janner
              Participant

The only one who has to be ok with this is you!  Remember, not all institutions even scan stage III/IV regularly let alone every 6 months.  Go with your gut!

Janner
                Participant

The only one who has to be ok with this is you!  Remember, not all institutions even scan stage III/IV regularly let alone every 6 months.  Go with your gut!

Janner
                  Participant

DZnDef
                    Participant

Nope.  Not crazy.

DZnDef
                      Participant

Nope.  Not crazy.

DZnDef
                        Participant

Nope.  Not crazy.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics