The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Delaware or Maryland – anyone else out there

Forums General Melanoma Community Delaware or Maryland – anyone else out there

Participant

I'm in "lower, slower" Delaware. Anyone else on this board from Sussex County, DE or possibly the Eastern shore of Maryland? There is not a local melanama group that I can find in my area…just a lot of breast cancer groups. Naturally, their issues/treatments are not the same as mine, so I've not attended anything they offer.

I'm in "lower, slower" Delaware. Anyone else on this board from Sussex County, DE or possibly the Eastern shore of Maryland? There is not a local melanama group that I can find in my area…just a lot of breast cancer groups. Naturally, their issues/treatments are not the same as mine, so I've not attended anything they offer.

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I used to live in Smyrna, part of lower slower De but we moved about 7 years ago to SC. The last few years Dr. Sharfman was my oncologist, at the time I was stage 1a.  I found him to be very calm and compassionate and he helped me through some medical issues that were not cancer related but my family Dr would not take seriously. 

There are 2 women who post from above the canal. One is Lear, she posts as Vivian and the other just posted the other day. 

A few months ago when I was dealing with recurrance #5 I joined a group here called survivor school.  While I was the only mel patient and didn't think it was going to help, it really did.  I learned different techniques on coping, nutrition, ect. Don't shun a group because it isn't melanoma. Finding a group with many cancers would probably be better than just breast cancer. 

As I now deal with recurrance #6 I am calling back some of the techniques I learned. 

We will both beat this!

Linda

Stage IV since 06

lhaley
          Participant

I used to live in Smyrna, part of lower slower De but we moved about 7 years ago to SC. The last few years Dr. Sharfman was my oncologist, at the time I was stage 1a.  I found him to be very calm and compassionate and he helped me through some medical issues that were not cancer related but my family Dr would not take seriously. 

There are 2 women who post from above the canal. One is Lear, she posts as Vivian and the other just posted the other day. 

A few months ago when I was dealing with recurrance #5 I joined a group here called survivor school.  While I was the only mel patient and didn't think it was going to help, it really did.  I learned different techniques on coping, nutrition, ect. Don't shun a group because it isn't melanoma. Finding a group with many cancers would probably be better than just breast cancer. 

As I now deal with recurrance #6 I am calling back some of the techniques I learned. 

We will both beat this!

Linda

Stage IV since 06

Carol Taylor
            Participant

Take your great attitude and start one. You've got a posse to help, at home and here.

Just a thought.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
              Participant

Take your great attitude and start one. You've got a posse to help, at home and here.

Just a thought.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Linny
                Participant

Believe it or not, I got a lot of moral support from two breast cancer survivors. Both were very helpful with information about lymphadenectomies and lymphedema. By the time my surgery date rolled around I already knew what to expect. If you had a lymphadenectomy, it may not hurt to talk to these folks.

The surgeon at Johns Hopkins (Lisa Jacobs) who did my lymphadenectomy specialized in melanoma and breast cancer surgery. She was awesome! 

chris206
                    Participant

Wow, you sound alot like me.  I have 3A, I went to John Hopkins and saw Dr. Sharfman, then Dr. Lange.  I did not get much satisfaction.  I had 1 positive node, but I choose not to go on with anything else.  I've never heard of Lisa Jacobs.  Did you have a lymph node dissection done?  If yes, how did that go?  I did not have that done, although I probably should have, but I was really worried about the after effects.

chris206
                      Participant

Wow, you sound alot like me.  I have 3A, I went to John Hopkins and saw Dr. Sharfman, then Dr. Lange.  I did not get much satisfaction.  I had 1 positive node, but I choose not to go on with anything else.  I've never heard of Lisa Jacobs.  Did you have a lymph node dissection done?  If yes, how did that go?  I did not have that done, although I probably should have, but I was really worried about the after effects.

chris206
                        Participant

Linny
                        Participant

Believe it or not, I got a lot of moral support from two breast cancer survivors. Both were very helpful with information about lymphadenectomies and lymphedema. By the time my surgery date rolled around I already knew what to expect. If you had a lymphadenectomy, it may not hurt to talk to these folks.

The surgeon at Johns Hopkins (Lisa Jacobs) who did my lymphadenectomy specialized in melanoma and breast cancer surgery. She was awesome! 

vivian
                          Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I live in Wilmington – in the "faster" part of DE, but I haven't found any melanoma support groups here, either.  You and I are quite some distance apart, unfortunately.  There must be many more people with melanoma in DE than just the three of us who post on here, but where they are, I do not know!  I guess we really will have to start our own groups.  By the way, I loved your upbeat posting, but in no way were you being whiny before.  You have to talk to someone, and this is a great place.  Linda Haley (used to live in DE) has been an enormous help to me since my diagnosis in November, and I noticed her response to your query.  The good thing about this forum is that even if you are feeling scared or whatever in the middle of the night, you can type out your feelings and usually someone will respond within hours.  Maybe that is better than a support group that meets weekly.

It is nice to have another Delawarean here, but I am so sorry you had to join us for this reason!  Take care.

Lear

boot2aboot
                              Participant

Tracy,

Have you heard about the 4th angel program? (http://www.4thangel.org/)

it is a mentoring program and they match you with mel peeps with similar diagnosis in your area… i live in the sticks too…so this program is great for connecting with others like yourself…scott hamilton ( the ice skater) started this organization

boot2aboot
                                Participant

Tracy,

Have you heard about the 4th angel program? (http://www.4thangel.org/)

it is a mentoring program and they match you with mel peeps with similar diagnosis in your area… i live in the sticks too…so this program is great for connecting with others like yourself…scott hamilton ( the ice skater) started this organization

vivian
                                Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I live in Wilmington – in the "faster" part of DE, but I haven't found any melanoma support groups here, either.  You and I are quite some distance apart, unfortunately.  There must be many more people with melanoma in DE than just the three of us who post on here, but where they are, I do not know!  I guess we really will have to start our own groups.  By the way, I loved your upbeat posting, but in no way were you being whiny before.  You have to talk to someone, and this is a great place.  Linda Haley (used to live in DE) has been an enormous help to me since my diagnosis in November, and I noticed her response to your query.  The good thing about this forum is that even if you are feeling scared or whatever in the middle of the night, you can type out your feelings and usually someone will respond within hours.  Maybe that is better than a support group that meets weekly.

It is nice to have another Delawarean here, but I am so sorry you had to join us for this reason!  Take care.

Lear

s M
                                  Participant

We have a non-profit group in DE called Miles for Melanoma of Delaware.  We raise funds for MRF and give skin cancer awareness info throughout the state of DE.  Our signature event is a  5K Walk/Run in September.  Last year we sent a check to MRF for $65,000 for research to help find a cure.  Go to our website http://www.miles4melanomade.org for more information.

s M
                                    Participant

We have a non-profit group in DE called Miles for Melanoma of Delaware.  We raise funds for MRF and give skin cancer awareness info throughout the state of DE.  Our signature event is a  5K Walk/Run in September.  Last year we sent a check to MRF for $65,000 for research to help find a cure.  Go to our website http://www.miles4melanomade.org for more information.

chris206
                                      Participant

Hi, I'm from Salisbury, MD, I know you wrote this awhile ago, but I just saw it.  I'm looking for an oncologist, did you ever find one in this or surrounding area??  I've been to John Hopkins, but I did not like how lost I became there.  It took forever to get them to do anything, and they kept sending the wrong information to other doctors, it was a MESS.  Its a shame, JH has the reputation but not the quality.  Since it goes on it's reputation, they are overwelmed with patients and everything just gets messed up.  So, now I'm looking for an oncologist for Melanoma.  I'm Stage 3A.  If you have any information, I'll take it.  Thanks, Chris

chris206
                                        Participant

Hi, I'm from Salisbury, MD, I know you wrote this awhile ago, but I just saw it.  I'm looking for an oncologist, did you ever find one in this or surrounding area??  I've been to John Hopkins, but I did not like how lost I became there.  It took forever to get them to do anything, and they kept sending the wrong information to other doctors, it was a MESS.  Its a shame, JH has the reputation but not the quality.  Since it goes on it's reputation, they are overwelmed with patients and everything just gets messed up.  So, now I'm looking for an oncologist for Melanoma.  I'm Stage 3A.  If you have any information, I'll take it.  Thanks, Chris

chris206
                                          Participant

chris206
                                            Participant

chris206
                                              Participant

Linny
                                                  Participant

Sorry to hear that your experience at Hopkins has been a bust. I've going there since my diagnosis and have had no problems with them. The Outpatient Center is intimidating, for sure. But Dr. Scharfmann has another office in Green Spring Station. Not sure why you're not going there. I prefer that one to the one in Baltimore but because I'm in a clinical trial, I have to go into Baltimore.

At any rate, here are some other options:

Abramson Cancer Center
                                                    University of Pennsylvania
                                                    Philadelphia, PA
                                                    (215) – 662-6065

Greenbaum Cancer Center
                                                    University of Maryland
                                                    Baltimore, MD
                                                    (410) 328-7904

University of Virginia Cancer Center
                                                    Charlottesville, VA
                                                    (434) 243-6784

Massey Cancer Center
                                                    Virginia Commonwealth University
                                                    Richmond, VA
                                                    (804) 828-0450

Linny
                                                    Participant

Sorry to hear that your experience at Hopkins has been a bust. I've going there since my diagnosis and have had no problems with them. The Outpatient Center is intimidating, for sure. But Dr. Scharfmann has another office in Green Spring Station. Not sure why you're not going there. I prefer that one to the one in Baltimore but because I'm in a clinical trial, I have to go into Baltimore.

Abramson Cancer Center
                                                      Philadelphia, PA
                                                      (215) – 662-6065

Greenbaum Cancer Center
                                                      University of Maryland
                                                      Baltimore, MD
                                                      (410) 328-7904

Charlottesville, VA
                                                      (434) 243-6784

Massey Cancer Center
                                                      Richmond, VA
                                                      (804) 828-0450

Linny
                                                      Participant

Abramson Cancer Center
                                                        Philadelphia, PA
                                                        (215) – 662-6065

Greenbaum Cancer Center
                                                        University of Maryland
                                                        Baltimore, MD
                                                        (410) 328-7904

Charlottesville, VA
                                                        (434) 243-6784

Massey Cancer Center
                                                        Richmond, VA
                                                        (804) 828-0450

chris206
                                                      Participant

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics