The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dave’s been admitted to hospital… update

Forums General Melanoma Community Dave’s been admitted to hospital… update

Participant

I took Dave into Roswell yesterday due to the pain in his back that was not being managed by pain meds.  They admitted him, and did a brain mri as well as ct of abdomen/chest/pelvis.  Brain showed no bleeding, but possible swelling of the lining.  They did a lumbar punch to test his spinal fluid, which we haven't gotten the results of yet.  Floor doc says WBR if present. Steroids seem to help with the pain, and that worries me.

I took Dave into Roswell yesterday due to the pain in his back that was not being managed by pain meds.  They admitted him, and did a brain mri as well as ct of abdomen/chest/pelvis.  Brain showed no bleeding, but possible swelling of the lining.  They did a lumbar punch to test his spinal fluid, which we haven't gotten the results of yet.  Floor doc says WBR if present. Steroids seem to help with the pain, and that worries me.

Kushalahni has already mentioned starting a chemo combo, and not IPI.  My question to all of you… which combo shows the best response?  We need to get this under control…

Much love to you all,

Maria

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        I am sorry to hear this news sending prayers to you both. My stage 4 has been as battle with liver, brain and chest mets since July of 2011.unfortunately brain mets leave few trial options particularly if they are not yet stable so others would be better to advise. I. Am taking both Yervoy and Zelboraf. But only 4 wks in is too soon to,say if it his combo works.
        I am sorry to hear this news sending prayers to you both. My stage 4 has been as battle with liver, brain and chest mets since July of 2011.unfortunately brain mets leave few trial options particularly if they are not yet stable so others would be better to advise. I. Am taking both Yervoy and Zelboraf. But only 4 wks in is too soon to,say if it his combo works.
        hope4cure1
        Participant

Oh, Maria.  I wish I could cook up something right here that would help Dave.  My husband had a complete response to Carboplatin/Abraxane/Avastin (liver, lymph node mets), but that combo doesn't usually have a great response rate.  I only offer this info in case your doctor happens to suggest this combo. Then I'd be happy to share with you what you might want to know about our experience re side effects, etc.  No one's thrown in the towel yet, so I'm sure they are looking at the best options for Dave right now.  Big hugs and good wishes are being sent your way!.

Hope

hope4cure1
          Participant

Oh, Maria.  I wish I could cook up something right here that would help Dave.  My husband had a complete response to Carboplatin/Abraxane/Avastin (liver, lymph node mets), but that combo doesn't usually have a great response rate.  I only offer this info in case your doctor happens to suggest this combo. Then I'd be happy to share with you what you might want to know about our experience re side effects, etc.  No one's thrown in the towel yet, so I'm sure they are looking at the best options for Dave right now.  Big hugs and good wishes are being sent your way!.

Hope

hope4cure1
            Participant

Hope

aldakota22
              Participant

sorry that Dave has so much pain.Praying that the choice you decide on is an answer for a very good response.Keep us posted.  Al

NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Maria, I hope whatever is decided promotes a response. Just out of curiosity, why no ippi?
                    best to you both,
                    karen
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                      Maria, I hope whatever is decided promotes a response. Just out of curiosity, why no ippi?
                      best to you both,
                      karen
                      NYKaren
                      Participant
                        best to you both,
                        karen
                      aldakota22
                      Participant

sorry that Dave has so much pain.Praying that the choice you decide on is an answer for a very good response.Keep us posted.  Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

Phil S
                          Participant
                            Maria, Sorry to read your post, that Dave is in pain, hope they get that discomfort under control. I have heard of a few cases where they have offered Ipi along with a chemo drug. It seems new drug combinations may be the future of melanoma treatment. I would ask about the possibility of chemo, like Avastin and Ipi given together. That way, maybe Dave’s brain will continue to remain stabilized on the Avastin while the Ipi is doing the longer immune response! Just a thought to discuss with doctors. Please take care and know that others are sending you both healing thoughts! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                            Phil S
                            Participant
                              Maria, Sorry to read your post, that Dave is in pain, hope they get that discomfort under control. I have heard of a few cases where they have offered Ipi along with a chemo drug. It seems new drug combinations may be the future of melanoma treatment. I would ask about the possibility of chemo, like Avastin and Ipi given together. That way, maybe Dave’s brain will continue to remain stabilized on the Avastin while the Ipi is doing the longer immune response! Just a thought to discuss with doctors. Please take care and know that others are sending you both healing thoughts! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                                gabsound
                                Participant
                                  Maria,

Oh how I feel for you. I think it must be harder to watch your husband go through all this than to go through it yourself. I know I wouldn’t want to trade places with my husband.

Sorry that you had to go to the hospital. I think the steroids will always help when there is swelling, so I don’t know that that should scare you.

I believe my Oncologist also recommended the same combo of 3 drugs as the other post. Maybe this will get things calmed down so that he can then go on the Yervoy.

Praying for a turn around for you and Dave.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                  Participant
                                    Maria,

Oh how I feel for you. I think it must be harder to watch your husband go through all this than to go through it yourself. I know I wouldn’t want to trade places with my husband.

Sorry that you had to go to the hospital. I think the steroids will always help when there is swelling, so I don’t know that that should scare you.

I believe my Oncologist also recommended the same combo of 3 drugs as the other post. Maybe this will get things calmed down so that he can then go on the Yervoy.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                    Participant
                                      Maria,

Julie in Las Vegas

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Maria, I am sorry to read that Dave has been admitted to hospital. A chemo combo could
                                        be worth trying. However, from the info that I have seen over the last few years it is
                                        not certain if any combo is significantly better than a single agent such as DTIC
                                        (dacarbazine).

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/melanoma/HealthProfessional/Page9#Section_467
                                        "The objective response rate to DTIC and the nitrosoureas, carmustine (BCNU) and
                                        lomustine, is approximately 10% to 20%.[2,26-28] Responses are usually short-lived,
                                        ranging from 3 to 6 months, though long-term remissions can occur in a limited number of
                                        patients who attain a complete response."

From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10561349?dopt=Abstract
                                        "Several single-institution phase II trials have reported that the Dartmouth regimen
                                        (dacarbazine, cisplatin, carmustine, and tamoxifen) can induce major tumor responses in
                                        40% to 50% of stage IV melanoma patients … only a small, statistically nonsignificant
                                        increase in tumor response for stage IV melanoma patients treated with the Dartmouth
                                        regimen compared with dacarbazine. Dacarbazine remains the reference standard treatment
                                        for stage IV melanoma."

See also: Avastin for metastatic melanoma
                                        http://cancertreatments.typepad.com/cancer_treatment/2009/05/avastin-for-metastatic-melanoma.html

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Maria, I am sorry to read that Dave has been admitted to hospital. A chemo combo could
                                          be worth trying. However, from the info that I have seen over the last few years it is
                                          not certain if any combo is significantly better than a single agent such as DTIC
                                          (dacarbazine).

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/melanoma/HealthProfessional/Page9#Section_467
                                          "The objective response rate to DTIC and the nitrosoureas, carmustine (BCNU) and
                                          lomustine, is approximately 10% to 20%.[2,26-28] Responses are usually short-lived,
                                          ranging from 3 to 6 months, though long-term remissions can occur in a limited number of

"Several single-institution phase II trials have reported that the Dartmouth regimen
                                          (dacarbazine, cisplatin, carmustine, and tamoxifen) can induce major tumor responses in
                                          40% to 50% of stage IV melanoma patients … only a small, statistically nonsignificant
                                          increase in tumor response for stage IV melanoma patients treated with the Dartmouth
                                          regimen compared with dacarbazine. Dacarbazine remains the reference standard treatment
                                          for stage IV melanoma."

http://cancertreatments.typepad.com/cancer_treatment/2009/05/avastin-for-metastatic-melanoma.html

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

(dacarbazine).

for stage IV melanoma."

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

s Mom
                                            Participant

Dear Maria,

Both you and Dave are in my thoughts and prayers!!!  Good thing you brought him in.  Keep us updated and in the meantime, sending BIG hugs and good thoughts :))))))))

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                              Participant

Dear Maria,

Both you and Dave are in my thoughts and prayers!!!  Good thing you brought him in.  Keep us updated and in the meantime, sending BIG hugs and good thoughts :))))))))

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                Participant

Dear Maria,

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics