The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dad had seizure, in NICU

Forums General Melanoma Community Dad had seizure, in NICU

Participant

Dad (stage IV, mets through chest/ lungs/ brain) went to stay out of town with my sister for a week and some days prior to Thanksgiving so hubby and I could get away for a bit. He had started Zelboraf the week before and was on Temodar for several months prior to that. Still on Dechadron 2mg since he's had ongoing brain swelling issues. I sent all the scenarios, drs info just in case, med lists, everything, and all this on top of making sure he couldn't run away like he thought he would try to do!

Dad (stage IV, mets through chest/ lungs/ brain) went to stay out of town with my sister for a week and some days prior to Thanksgiving so hubby and I could get away for a bit. He had started Zelboraf the week before and was on Temodar for several months prior to that. Still on Dechadron 2mg since he's had ongoing brain swelling issues. I sent all the scenarios, drs info just in case, med lists, everything, and all this on top of making sure he couldn't run away like he thought he would try to do!

Anyway, she found him on the floor yesterday morning, aseep under a bedside table. Confused, unable to stand or walk at all. His doctors up here referred him to ER down there, and he is in NICU now with no talk of when he will be discharged. Only semi-alert today, still confused, etc. Had some kind of seizure in the night, apparently. Waiting on that EEG report. Has some sort of infection showing up in urine as well.

We are heading down in the morning to visit.

This is the worst shape he has been in in the 8 months we've known about the Melanoma. Not sure what to expect; none of us do, I guess.

-DF

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        dearfoam
        Participant

Still no word on the kind of seizure, but the doctor took him off Zelboraf until he sees his regular Oncologist (already has an appt for visit and EKG next week). Suspecting heart arhythma, too. Can that cause a seizure or perhaps stroke? We have not been told if there was a stroke in the mix, but my brother suspects there was.

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

I am very sorry to read about what has happened. Unfortunately, it is difficult to say
              what is causing your dad's symptoms without further tests. However, if the symptoms are
              due to melanoma it is possible that a brain met has bled causing a stroke.

A seizure can be caused by a number of things including an infection (see:
              http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003200.htm)

Heart arrhythmia can also cause serious problems (see:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac_dysrhythmia).

I encourage you to discuss your concerns with the doctor who is looking after your dad
              at the moment. I also feel that it is important not to jump to any conclusion without
              knowing more information. Perhaps, things may not be as bad as they seem to be?

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

I am very sorry to read about what has happened. Unfortunately, it is difficult to say
                what is causing your dad's symptoms without further tests. However, if the symptoms are

I encourage you to discuss your concerns with the doctor who is looking after your dad
                at the moment. I also feel that it is important not to jump to any conclusion without

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

dearfoam
                Participant

Still no word on the kind of seizure, but the doctor took him off Zelboraf until he sees his regular Oncologist (already has an appt for visit and EKG next week). Suspecting heart arhythma, too. Can that cause a seizure or perhaps stroke? We have not been told if there was a stroke in the mix, but my brother suspects there was.

dearfoam
                  Participant

shellebrownies
                    Participant

Dearfoam,

Been thinking about you; sorry to hear of your dad's new development. Sounds like it could be an increase in swelling and/or a complication of his brain mets (?). Depending on where his tumors are located, it could explain the motor issues. 

Will keep you and your family in my prayers and hope the doctors will figure this out very soon!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                      Participant

Dearfoam,

Been thinking about you; sorry to hear of your dad's new development. Sounds like it could be an increase in swelling and/or a complication of his brain mets (?). Depending on where his tumors are located, it could explain the motor issues. 

Will keep you and your family in my prayers and hope the doctors will figure this out very soon!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                        Participant

Dearfoam,

Michelle, wife of Don

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Pulling for Dad.  My family knows some of what you are goig thru.  I spent a month  in NICU last year (unconcious) then went to another month in Long term Acute Care..

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Pulling for Dad.  My family knows some of what you are goig thru.  I spent a month  in NICU last year (unconcious) then went to another month in Long term Acute Care..

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

dearfoam
                                Participant
                                  After several conflicting opinions, dad was ok’d for discharge straight from nicu yesterday. We weren’t able to since he couldn’t even stand or walk yet. We got him today instead. He is a little more with it, but nowhere near his baseline. Can walk very slowly and needs assistance walking and to stand. I was not impressed with that hospital one bit. But I digress.
                                  He had a really high white blood cell count from the uti. On antibiotics (avelox) for next 8 days. Also on low dose of keppra (anti-seizure drug) twice a day. Will wait to talk to his medical oncologist Monday regarding the Zelboraf/ Lexapro/ qt prolonging arrhythmia stuff. My brother was told his heart had a .44, with .43 normal and .45 being definite arrhythmia. So he is prob having problem, but due to meds, seizure, disease is unknown.
                                  We have an EKG appt next Wednesday already to monitor this.
                                  The neurologist said he had irritation in right frontal lobe indicating seizure, but no more details were really obtainable.
                                  Not sure how we will manage this weekend, he will not be independent, and we have no help lined up. I am not pbysically able to move or help him up. I guess that is what paramedics are for if it gets too bad.
                                  On top of this, he was really ugly with my did, so he won’t be welcome for another visit like we just had. My poor husband is down to his last threads of patience. Dad told everyone how bad I was, taking over everything like money, that I am lying about his imaginary girlfriend, etc. Pretty delusional and lots of acting out. The whole family had said it is time to ask the dr if he can go to a facility to live. No one wants to deal with him. I’m not sure how much patience I have left in me. In other words, a very rough thanksgiving.
                                    dearfoam
                                    Participant

Boy have things changed.

Dad has been so very weak, hardly eating and drinking, and sleeping 20+ hours a day. We made it through the weekend with him very peaceful and calm and "glad to be home." No more agitation or signs of distress. He has been in bed most of the time since Friday evening, but managed to get up to the sofa for a little while today (Tuesday). Monday he slept over 22 hours.

His doctors discontinued his Zelboraf treatment and gave a home hospice order. It is a huge relief emotionally. We will see how it goes from here and wether or not we can handle the physical part or have to take up some other options.

-DF

dearfoam
                                      Participant

Boy have things changed.

Dad has been so very weak, hardly eating and drinking, and sleeping 20+ hours a day. We made it through the weekend with him very peaceful and calm and "glad to be home." No more agitation or signs of distress. He has been in bed most of the time since Friday evening, but managed to get up to the sofa for a little while today (Tuesday). Monday he slept over 22 hours.

His doctors discontinued his Zelboraf treatment and gave a home hospice order. It is a huge relief emotionally. We will see how it goes from here and wether or not we can handle the physical part or have to take up some other options.

-DF

dearfoam
                                        Participant

Boy have things changed.

-DF

dearfoam
                                        Participant
                                          After several conflicting opinions, dad was ok’d for discharge straight from nicu yesterday. We weren’t able to since he couldn’t even stand or walk yet. We got him today instead. He is a little more with it, but nowhere near his baseline. Can walk very slowly and needs assistance walking and to stand. I was not impressed with that hospital one bit. But I digress.
                                          He had a really high white blood cell count from the uti. On antibiotics (avelox) for next 8 days. Also on low dose of keppra (anti-seizure drug) twice a day. Will wait to talk to his medical oncologist Monday regarding the Zelboraf/ Lexapro/ qt prolonging arrhythmia stuff. My brother was told his heart had a .44, with .43 normal and .45 being definite arrhythmia. So he is prob having problem, but due to meds, seizure, disease is unknown.
                                          The neurologist said he had irritation in right frontal lobe indicating seizure, but no more details were really obtainable.
                                          Not sure how we will manage this weekend, he will not be independent, and we have no help lined up. I am not pbysically able to move or help him up. I guess that is what paramedics are for if it gets too bad.
                                          On top of this, he was really ugly with my did, so he won’t be welcome for another visit like we just had. My poor husband is down to his last threads of patience. Dad told everyone how bad I was, taking over everything like money, that I am lying about his imaginary girlfriend, etc. Pretty delusional and lots of acting out. The whole family had said it is time to ask the dr if he can go to a facility to live. No one wants to deal with him. I’m not sure how much patience I have left in me. In other words, a very rough thanksgiving.
                                          dearfoam
                                          Participant
                                        Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics