The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dabrafenib and Trametinib combo Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Dabrafenib and Trametinib combo Trial

Participant

Is there anyone out there who is actively in this trial?  My SIL is considering it.  I have tried to understand which is which, but unless I am misreading, neither of these are the same as vemurafenib, which was what we understood to be the treatment of choice now that she is B RAF positive.  If there is a thread that already addresses this, I apoligize.

a

Is there anyone out there who is actively in this trial?  My SIL is considering it.  I have tried to understand which is which, but unless I am misreading, neither of these are the same as vemurafenib, which was what we understood to be the treatment of choice now that she is B RAF positive.  If there is a thread that already addresses this, I apoligize.

a

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Dabrafenib and vemurafenib both target the same BRAF mutation in melanoma cells. They are chemically very similar but not identical, so their activity and side effects may be a little different. Vemurafenib is already FDA approved and commercially available as Zelboraf. Dabrafenib is a little farther back in the development pipeline, but it shows promise of being as good as or better than Zelboraf. The main problem with vemurafenib is that melanoma cells tend to become resistant to it after 8 months or so. Trametinib was developed to attack a different protein in melamona cells (MEK instead of BRAF). The hope is that this 1-2 punch against both BRAF and MEK at the same time will kill the melanoma DEAD and prevent resistant cells from taking over. If I had melanoma, I would be delighted to get into the combo trial.

POW
          Participant

Dabrafenib and vemurafenib both target the same BRAF mutation in melanoma cells. They are chemically very similar but not identical, so their activity and side effects may be a little different. Vemurafenib is already FDA approved and commercially available as Zelboraf. Dabrafenib is a little farther back in the development pipeline, but it shows promise of being as good as or better than Zelboraf. The main problem with vemurafenib is that melanoma cells tend to become resistant to it after 8 months or so. Trametinib was developed to attack a different protein in melamona cells (MEK instead of BRAF). The hope is that this 1-2 punch against both BRAF and MEK at the same time will kill the melanoma DEAD and prevent resistant cells from taking over. If I had melanoma, I would be delighted to get into the combo trial.

POW
            Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
              Participant

I've been on this trial since May of last year – going on 16 months now.  See my profile – everything is still good with me.  I heartily recommend it, and hope your SIL can get on this combo.  From what I hear at the clinic, the results so far are very promising.  Also, the side effects are much less than those encountered with vemurafenib as a single agent.  I've only had isolated episodes of high fever, accompanied with chills, shakes and sweats (I actually like these episodes, as they elicit lots of sympathy from family).

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                Participant

I've been on this trial since May of last year – going on 16 months now.  See my profile – everything is still good with me.  I heartily recommend it, and hope your SIL can get on this combo.  From what I hear at the clinic, the results so far are very promising.  Also, the side effects are much less than those encountered with vemurafenib as a single agent.  I've only had isolated episodes of high fever, accompanied with chills, shakes and sweats (I actually like these episodes, as they elicit lots of sympathy from family).

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

LynnLuc
                    Participant

http://chicago2012.asco.org/ASCODailyNews/LBA8500.aspx   Dabrafenib Extends Progression-Free Survival in Metastatic Melanoma, Has High Clinical Activity in Brain Metastases

http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=114&abstractID=97727                                                                                                     

BREAK-MB: A phase II study assessing overall intracranial response rate (OIRR) to dabrafenib (GSK2118436) in patients (pts) with BRAF V600E/k mutation-positive melanoma with brain metastases (mets).

Updated safety and efficacy results from a phase I/II study of the oral BRAF inhibitor dabrafenib (GSK2118436) combined with the oral MEK 1/2 inhibitor trametinib (GSK1120212) in patients with BRAFi-naive metastatic melanoma.

Hope these help!!~ Lynn

LynnLuc
                      Participant

http://chicago2012.asco.org/ASCODailyNews/LBA8500.aspx   Dabrafenib Extends Progression-Free Survival in Metastatic Melanoma, Has High Clinical Activity in Brain Metastases

http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=114&abstractID=97727                                                                                                     

BREAK-MB: A phase II study assessing overall intracranial response rate (OIRR) to dabrafenib (GSK2118436) in patients (pts) with BRAF V600E/k mutation-positive melanoma with brain metastases (mets).

Updated safety and efficacy results from a phase I/II study of the oral BRAF inhibitor dabrafenib (GSK2118436) combined with the oral MEK 1/2 inhibitor trametinib (GSK1120212) in patients with BRAFi-naive metastatic melanoma.

Hope these help!!~ Lynn

LynnLuc
                        Participant

Hope these help!!~ Lynn

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics