The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CT scan WITHOUT contrast dye

Forums General Melanoma Community CT scan WITHOUT contrast dye

Participant

When looking for possible recurrence is it worth it to do the scan without the dye? if so why?

I am oppossed to the dye, but will still do the CT scan if it will show any tumors or abnormalities still. Of spine and pelvis.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies

I have been told ct scans without the dye "are not of diagonstic quality".  

Gene_S
        Participant

My husbands last CT was done without contrast and the doctor said they were not as clear so the next time it will be with the dye.

Gene_S
          Participant

My husbands last CT was done without contrast and the doctor said they were not as clear so the next time it will be with the dye.

Gene_S
            Participant

casagrayson
              Participant

What about MRIs?  Are they of any value without contrast?

Hi Susan, To my knowledge the MRI  dye enhances the results of the scan.  The dye is used to detect cancer which may require the enhancement.

Hi Susan, To my knowledge the MRI  dye enhances the results of the scan.  The dye is used to detect cancer which may require the enhancement.

casagrayson
                Participant

casagrayson
                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics