The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Crohn’s, Remicade (Infliximab), and Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Crohn’s, Remicade (Infliximab), and Melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board but love the positivity and support I've come across! My husband is 28 and was diagnosed in April with a stage 1A melanoma on his side. It was caught early, at his annual skin exam, so treatment consisted of a wide local excision and now dermatology check-ups every 3 months. He has been getting remicade (infliximab) infusions for the past 8 years, which started shortly after he was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease.

After doing some preliminary research regarding infliximab and other anti-TNF biologic medications, he consulted with his gastroenterologist and an oncologist to discuss whether it is still in his best interest to take remicade, and ultimately he decided to continue the remicade for now. While there is of course no way of knowing why he got melanoma, he is fair skinned and despite his best efforts to protect his skin, he has been sunburned a few times in his life. He also has some family history, as his grandpa and uncle both had early stage melanomas removed.

I found a couple threads on this board about infliximab and melanoma, but many of them are several years old, so I’m wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation and decided to continue or stop taking remicade, or has any other relevant insights to share on this matter.

Thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Most of those posts likely relate to Stage IV melanoma patients receiving immunotherapy.  Certain side effects from immunotherapy (e.g., colitis) are treated with remicade when prednisone is insufficient.

Go_Cats215
            Participant

Thanks! I did come across several posts discussing how helpful remicade can be in treating side effects from immunotherapy.

Some studies suggest that longterm use of anti-TNF medications reduce the immune system's surveillance response, theoretically increasing melanoma risk. It seems that the real-life risk is harder to estimate. One physician told us that if someone taking remicade for something else (such as psoriasis) develops melanoma, they contraindicate further use of remicade due to the increased risk, but that there aren't as many treatment options for Crohn's, which makes the decision trickier in those cases. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics