The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Craniotomy

Forums General Melanoma Community Craniotomy

Participant

Next week, I'll be having my first craniotomy.  For those who've experienced them, how long does it make you feel better? 

Next week, I'll be having my first craniotomy.  For those who've experienced them, how long does it make you feel better? 

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Lisa,

So sorry to hear your news. Here is a link that is very informative:

Craniotomy | Preparation, Risks, Complications, Brain Surgery

What were the results of your pet/ctscans??? Is yervoy working for you..are you still a responder?

Good luck with your surgery,

Kathy

killmel
          Participant

Lisa,

What were the results of your pet/ctscans??? Is yervoy working for you..are you still a responder?

Kathy

killmel
            Participant

Lisa,

Kathy

lhaley
              Participant

Lisa,

I'm so glad they are going to do the crainotomy!  My next mri is next Wed and scared to death.  I have heard from someone in Louisiana that goes to MDA that has had 6 crainotomy's and is still working full time. 

My recovery was more difficult because my muscles were so wasted.  Because of location of tumor is different for each person. 

I was in ICU for 24 hours and then in the hospital for 2 more days.  Was told that they would have sent me home after 1 day after the ICU but didn't let me since we lived so far.

You will definitley put you on steroids if not on them now but will start to wean you off immediately.  Even with being on for so long at the end of 3 weeks I was off of them.  Expect for them not to let you drive for about a month and will most likely put you on anti-seizure meds for about 2 weeks.

Make sure and let us know how you are doing. 

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Lisa,

I'm so glad they are going to do the crainotomy!  My next mri is next Wed and scared to death.  I have heard from someone in Louisiana that goes to MDA that has had 6 crainotomy's and is still working full time. 

My recovery was more difficult because my muscles were so wasted.  Because of location of tumor is different for each person. 

I was in ICU for 24 hours and then in the hospital for 2 more days.  Was told that they would have sent me home after 1 day after the ICU but didn't let me since we lived so far.

You will definitley put you on steroids if not on them now but will start to wean you off immediately.  Even with being on for so long at the end of 3 weeks I was off of them.  Expect for them not to let you drive for about a month and will most likely put you on anti-seizure meds for about 2 weeks.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Lisa,

Linda

jmmm
                    Participant
                      My husband had a craniotomy in November. Pain was minimal…only tylenol after the first night. Dr. thought 3-5 nights in the hospital, but he was discharged in 48 hours. The nurses were amazed he was walking the halls less than 24 hours after surgery. Recover took forever…at least 6-8 weeks before he felt himself. He was just soooooo tired. I think he slept more than he was awake for the first week or two. Not sure how much was the recovery from the surgery or how much was the anti-seizure meds and steroids he was on. Once he got off all of those (at about 8 weeks), he felt better. He also had gamma knife 4 weeks after the craniotomy, so I’m sure that made things worse. It took him a good 3 months to feel good. Medicine schedule was tough for awhile…3 different meds (he was on Zelboaf, too) were all on different schedules. Make a chart and it will make it so much easier. Ask for help…you’ll need it:). I stayed with him 24/7 for the first 6 weeks (the doctor was really concerned about seizures, especially after gamma knife). He couldn’t drive for 3 months.
                      The surgery was the easiest one he’s had (scariest,but easiest,,at least in terms of pain control). He said the worst part was really the anti seizure meds and steroids.
                      jmmm
                      Participant
                        My husband had a craniotomy in November. Pain was minimal…only tylenol after the first night. Dr. thought 3-5 nights in the hospital, but he was discharged in 48 hours. The nurses were amazed he was walking the halls less than 24 hours after surgery. Recover took forever…at least 6-8 weeks before he felt himself. He was just soooooo tired. I think he slept more than he was awake for the first week or two. Not sure how much was the recovery from the surgery or how much was the anti-seizure meds and steroids he was on. Once he got off all of those (at about 8 weeks), he felt better. He also had gamma knife 4 weeks after the craniotomy, so I’m sure that made things worse. It took him a good 3 months to feel good. Medicine schedule was tough for awhile…3 different meds (he was on Zelboaf, too) were all on different schedules. Make a chart and it will make it so much easier. Ask for help…you’ll need it:). I stayed with him 24/7 for the first 6 weeks (the doctor was really concerned about seizures, especially after gamma knife). He couldn’t drive for 3 months.
                        The surgery was the easiest one he’s had (scariest,but easiest,,at least in terms of pain control). He said the worst part was really the anti seizure meds and steroids.
                        jmmm
                        Participant
                          KRob
                          Participant

The craniotomy was not the problem as much as the effects of the steroids that I was on before and after. I'm sure that you're already aware of that though. It really didn't take too long to recuperate from the surgery. The upper right parietal lobe was the location of my cranie so that may have had something to do with it.

Best to you for a swift recovery,

Karen

KRob
                            Participant

The craniotomy was not the problem as much as the effects of the steroids that I was on before and after. I'm sure that you're already aware of that though. It really didn't take too long to recuperate from the surgery. The upper right parietal lobe was the location of my cranie so that may have had something to do with it.

Karen

KRob
                              Participant

Karen

robyn44
                                Participant

Lisa- I have had 6 crani's. The recovery has been differnt for each one. I have been out of hospital within 48 hours each time. I have been able to walk within 24 hours without any problems. I go to MDA in Houston. I have 2 young children and run a psych.treatment center for children so work a lot of hours. I am back to work within 2 weeks. Taking care of the kids right away is difficult. You will be given instructions not to lift anything or carry anything heavier than 5 lbs. You can not bend over either. The steroids are awful but they taper you off quickly. I had to remain on steroids for 9 months for the first year due to edema. I have not been able to get off of the anti seizure meds due to ongoing issues with  partial seizures. I have mri at MDA on Wed. and see neurosurgeon on thurs. If all is good hope to get off Keppra soon. You will probably tire easily but I have found that if I stay active, rest when needed and follow dr. instructions I recover very quickly. I have my staples/sutures removed by sister (nurse). It is not  very painful and sounds worse than it is. Ihad a thoracotomy which was 100 times worse! Take pj's that button in the front so you wont have to put anything over your head. Just easier. Good luck and will keep you in my thoughts!

Robyn

robyn44
                                  Participant

Lisa- I have had 6 crani's. The recovery has been differnt for each one. I have been out of hospital within 48 hours each time. I have been able to walk within 24 hours without any problems. I go to MDA in Houston. I have 2 young children and run a psych.treatment center for children so work a lot of hours. I am back to work within 2 weeks. Taking care of the kids right away is difficult. You will be given instructions not to lift anything or carry anything heavier than 5 lbs. You can not bend over either. The steroids are awful but they taper you off quickly. I had to remain on steroids for 9 months for the first year due to edema. I have not been able to get off of the anti seizure meds due to ongoing issues with  partial seizures. I have mri at MDA on Wed. and see neurosurgeon on thurs. If all is good hope to get off Keppra soon. You will probably tire easily but I have found that if I stay active, rest when needed and follow dr. instructions I recover very quickly. I have my staples/sutures removed by sister (nurse). It is not  very painful and sounds worse than it is. Ihad a thoracotomy which was 100 times worse! Take pj's that button in the front so you wont have to put anything over your head. Just easier. Good luck and will keep you in my thoughts!

Robyn

mommydog
                                      Participant
                                        My husband has had two craniotomies. The surgeries themselves went well and he recovered easily and without much pain. However, since his tumors were located in and near the motor strip on the right side and had bled, he has lost the use of his left arm and leg.
                                        Deborah
                                        mommydog
                                        Participant
                                          My husband has had two craniotomies. The surgeries themselves went well and he recovered easily and without much pain. However, since his tumors were located in and near the motor strip on the right side and had bled, he has lost the use of his left arm and leg.
                                          Deborah
                                          mommydog
                                          Participant
                                            Deborah
                                            JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Robyn, if you will allow contact by putting yourpermission on the profile page, I would like to contact you about the thoracotomy.  I had one in Aug 2010 that I being a problem  and I would like to talk to someone that had one.

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

Robyn, if you will allow contact by putting yourpermission on the profile page, I would like to contact you about the thoracotomy.  I had one in Aug 2010 that I being a problem  and I would like to talk to someone that had one.

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

robyn44
                                                Participant

Robyn

kylez
                                                  Participant
                                                    Lisa, when I was a kid, I for sure never thought, hmm, maybe when I grow up one day, I’ll be on the receiving end of brain surgery. But I’ve been lucky enough (which I definitely mean sincerely) to have had two. Like, holy cow, they’re pulling out all the stops to take care of me.

Like Linda, I’m also glad to hear they’re going the resection route for you. My impression is that craniotomy may have “better” results in some situations than radio surgery. For me, so far #1 (resected) hasn’t come back, knock on wood, but #2 which got beam radiation only, came back, and was resected some months later, one year ago.

Going in for this can be kind of surreal. But the second surgery for me (a double) had a better initial recovery. I don’t know if it was the steroid bounce, or that the worst neuro symptoms from before the surgery had abated, or that I’d been through it once before, but I felt f$&@’n great waking up afterwards, as my neurosurgeon tapped me on the toe to check in on me. And of course it felt really great knowing that stuff was physically outta my head too.

Best of luck next week. -Kyle

kylez
                                                    Participant
                                                      Lisa, when I was a kid, I for sure never thought, hmm, maybe when I grow up one day, I’ll be on the receiving end of brain surgery. But I’ve been lucky enough (which I definitely mean sincerely) to have had two. Like, holy cow, they’re pulling out all the stops to take care of me.

Like Linda, I’m also glad to hear they’re going the resection route for you. My impression is that craniotomy may have “better” results in some situations than radio surgery. For me, so far #1 (resected) hasn’t come back, knock on wood, but #2 which got beam radiation only, came back, and was resected some months later, one year ago.

Going in for this can be kind of surreal. But the second surgery for me (a double) had a better initial recovery. I don’t know if it was the steroid bounce, or that the worst neuro symptoms from before the surgery had abated, or that I’d been through it once before, but I felt f$&@’n great waking up afterwards, as my neurosurgeon tapped me on the toe to check in on me. And of course it felt really great knowing that stuff was physically outta my head too.

kylez
                                                      Participant

Lisa13
                                                          Participant

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking forward to my sugery on Tuesday, but scared.  I have some problems in my right arm and right lef, so I hopefully it will get better. 

I know I feel good knowing I'm not doing WBR, but they think I should.  They suggsted a wbr because obviosly, more cells could remain, but i'm that won't happen for a while.  I'll be getting into Anti P1 in the states (Tampa). I'll have to wait for probably a week or 2 after the surgery.  So far, my ipi just did"t work after my second try, which I;m trying Anti Pd1.

Lisa

killmel
                                                            Participant

Lisa,

I am sorry that ipi did not work the scecond time around.

You are proababy very scared about not taking your doctor's recommendation to do WBR. More than likely, there are more cells in your brain waiting too grow. I hope that anti-p1 will work for you in the brain.

Will you be relocating to Tampa or commuting to Tampa every 2 weeks from  Canada. That will be expensive to commute and a hardship on your family.

I wish you the best with your surgery.

Maryann

killmel
                                                              Participant

Lisa,

You are proababy very scared about not taking your doctor's recommendation to do WBR. More than likely, there are more cells in your brain waiting too grow. I hope that anti-p1 will work for you in the brain.

Will you be relocating to Tampa or commuting to Tampa every 2 weeks from  Canada. That will be expensive to commute and a hardship on your family.

Maryann

killmel
                                                                Participant

Lisa,

Maryann

Lisa13
                                                                  Participant

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking forward to my sugery on Tuesday, but scared.  I have some problems in my right arm and right lef, so I hopefully it will get better. 

I know I feel good knowing I'm not doing WBR, but they think I should.  They suggsted a wbr because obviosly, more cells could remain, but i'm that won't happen for a while.  I'll be getting into Anti P1 in the states (Tampa). I'll have to wait for probably a week or 2 after the surgery.  So far, my ipi just did"t work after my second try, which I;m trying Anti Pd1.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                                    Participant

Hi Everybody,

Lisa

mclaus23
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Hi Lisa! I hope you are doing well. My dad was diagnosed same time as you and have been praying for you.

Maggie

mclaus23
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Hi Lisa! I hope you are doing well. My dad was diagnosed same time as you and have been praying for you.

Maggie

mclaus23
                                                                        Participant

Maggie

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics