The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

confused �

Forums General Melanoma Community confused �

Participant
      I keep reading lots of articles that say now is the best time to get melanoma. However I don’t understand that cos there is no cure. Could someone please explain?
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Actually, I don't think there ever is a *good* time to get melanoma.  

But if you have to have it, then now is a better time (than the past) because even though there isn't a universal cure, many new drugs have become avialable within the last couple of years. And these drugs are considerably more effective in achieving durable remission for more people.  Also as doctors and researchers continue, more and better treatments will become avialable.  So it's starting to look up!  

And this is good news!

Just my 2 cents,

Julie

kpcollins31
            Participant

I agree – there is no good time. However, I feel like we at least have some viable treatment options now versus what was available only a few years ago.

Kevin

kpcollins31
              Participant

I agree – there is no good time. However, I feel like we at least have some viable treatment options now versus what was available only a few years ago.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                Participant

Kevin

Julie in SoCal
                Participant

But if you have to have it, then now is a better time (than the past) because even though there isn't a universal cure, many new drugs have become avialable within the last couple of years. And these drugs are considerably more effective in achieving durable remission for more people.  Also as doctors and researchers continue, more and better treatments will become avialable.  So it's starting to look up!  

And this is good news!

Just my 2 cents,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

And this is good news!

Just my 2 cents,

Julie

becky15
                    Participant
                      You often hear people say there is no cure for melanoma but for the majority the original excision/ wide excision alone is the cure.
                        JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

90-95% of those caught very early never have another problem.  For a few people at Stage IV IL-2 has provided a cure.  It is now hoped that the new treatments with Ipi (Yervoy) and PD-1 will add to the treatments likely to provide a "cure" to some.  Time will tell.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

90-95% of those caught very early never have another problem.  For a few people at Stage IV IL-2 has provided a cure.  It is now hoped that the new treatments with Ipi (Yervoy) and PD-1 will add to the treatments likely to provide a "cure" to some.  Time will tell.

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

becky15
                            Participant
                              You often hear people say there is no cure for melanoma but for the majority the original excision/ wide excision alone is the cure.
                              becky15
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics