The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clinical trial vs IL2

Forums General Melanoma Community Clinical trial vs IL2

Participant
      My most recent PET showed multiple bilateral lung nodules. I’ve had the biopsy and we are waiting for the results – I’m hoping it was dust bunnies on the scanner. Dr Ibrahim is having it tested for BRAF gene. If it is positive she is suggesting I participate in a Single Arm Open-label Phase II study of Vemurafenib followed by Ipilimumab. My question is this, should I try the IL-2 before attempting the study? After reading multiple reports it sounds like if you do Ipilimumab you can’t then do INterluken but the reverse is not true. Any advice would be most welcome.

My most recent PET showed multiple bilateral lung nodules. I’ve had the biopsy and we are waiting for the results – I’m hoping it was dust bunnies on the scanner. Dr Ibrahim is having it tested for BRAF gene. If it is positive she is suggesting I participate in a Single Arm Open-label Phase II study of Vemurafenib followed by Ipilimumab. My question is this, should I try the IL-2 before attempting the study? After reading multiple reports it sounds like if you do Ipilimumab you can’t then do INterluken but the reverse is not true. Any advice would be most welcome.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janet Lee
        Participant

I wish I had sonething to share with you. I noticed you mention Dr. Ibrahim, who is treating my husband, Don, at DFCI. I'm assuming it's the same melanoma oncologist. I will be looking forward to seeing helpful posts from others on this site, as there is so much to learn! Best of luck to you.

Janet

Janet Lee
          Participant

I wish I had sonething to share with you. I noticed you mention Dr. Ibrahim, who is treating my husband, Don, at DFCI. I'm assuming it's the same melanoma oncologist. I will be looking forward to seeing helpful posts from others on this site, as there is so much to learn! Best of luck to you.

Janet

Janet Lee
            Participant

Janet

awillett1991
              Participant
                These are all FDA approved drugs so the decision is yours. I haven’t heard anything about not being able to do Ipi then Il 2, just maybe not in a trial, they have lots of rules.

I did Zel 5 mos, stopped it, -> Ipi -> SRS -> Zel-> finished Ipi on time and still on Zel. Here is what I learned.

Zel -> Ipi too quickly can often cause grade 3,& 4 rash adverse events. Somehow I avoided it. Ask their time frames for switching.

Ipi & Zel together or Zel following Ipi quickly can lead to significant liver toxicity issues. I was also hospitalized for muscle pain so bad I could barely breathe. I believe they stopped the Zel + Ipi combo trials

I was only on the 3 mg/kg dose of Ipi, but this appears to be 10 mg/kg. I’d ask if the side effects are worth it for the higher dose.

Good luck!

Janet Lee
                  Participant

How long have you been treated altogether? Are you happy with Dr. Ibrahim?

Janet Lee
                    Participant

Hstevens0072
                      Participant
                        I was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and started off with Dr Christopher Seidler at Harrington Hospital. He is affiliated with Umass in Worcester. I was, and still am, happy with his care but friends and family encouraged me to get a second opinion so I also have Dr Ibrahim. I like both of them very much – they are very much in sync about my course of treatment. I prefer to go to Dana Farber because the results are available so much faster and because the equipment at DF seems more state of the art. I have to admit the first time I had a PET at Harrington and it was in a huge tractor trailer that bounces all over MA and CT, well, it made me nervous. Are you happy with Dr Ibrahim?
                        Hstevens0072
                        Participant
                          I was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and started off with Dr Christopher Seidler at Harrington Hospital. He is affiliated with Umass in Worcester. I was, and still am, happy with his care but friends and family encouraged me to get a second opinion so I also have Dr Ibrahim. I like both of them very much – they are very much in sync about my course of treatment. I prefer to go to Dana Farber because the results are available so much faster and because the equipment at DF seems more state of the art. I have to admit the first time I had a PET at Harrington and it was in a huge tractor trailer that bounces all over MA and CT, well, it made me nervous. Are you happy with Dr Ibrahim?
                          Janet Lee
                          Participant

So far, we plan to stick with Dr. Ibrahim. We've only met her once, other appointment was covered by everyone but her. Getting the best and right treatment is what counts, and quickly! DFCI fits the bill. We had radiation and cyberknife in Worcester at St Vincent hospital, both supported by the team at Dana Farber.

P.S. I think I've been in that same PET Trailer when it's parked in Worcester!

Best of luck.

Janet

Janet Lee
                            Participant

So far, we plan to stick with Dr. Ibrahim. We've only met her once, other appointment was covered by everyone but her. Getting the best and right treatment is what counts, and quickly! DFCI fits the bill. We had radiation and cyberknife in Worcester at St Vincent hospital, both supported by the team at Dana Farber.

Best of luck.

Janet

Erinlisay38
                              Participant
                                I was also on that trailer in Worcester for my PET scan lol … and i also have been seein Dr Ibrahim since August … Ippi was my first treatment ,didn’t seem to help much tumors have all grown and I have new ones besides one small tumor shrunk a little so i dont know what to think … now tomorrow I am going to DF to start the PD1 trial fingers are crossed 🙂
                                Hstevens0072
                                Participant
                                  I’m wishing you the best of luck! I go to DF on Wednesday for biopsy results and treatment planning I hope/think/guess. The PD1 trial sounds very promising 🙂 wasn’t that trailer the weirdest thing? It was my first PET so I had no idea what to expect… But it certainly wasn’t that! I keep waiting for it to drive away with me locked inside!
                                  Erinlisay38
                                  Participant
                                    Thanks and yeah scans on a truck weird lol I’ve read pretty good things about the pd1 so I’m excited to start I was supposed to start last Friday but this nasty snow im not looking forward to the boring hour drive on rt 9 but im ready to go kick this beast melanomas butt lol I’m also wishing you luck for Wednesday hope the biopsy shows the results you are hoping for good luck !
                                    Erinlisay38
                                    Participant
                                      Thanks and yeah scans on a truck weird lol I’ve read pretty good things about the pd1 so I’m excited to start I was supposed to start last Friday but this nasty snow im not looking forward to the boring hour drive on rt 9 but im ready to go kick this beast melanomas butt lol I’m also wishing you luck for Wednesday hope the biopsy shows the results you are hoping for good luck !
                                      Erinlisay38
                                      Participant
                                        Hstevens0072
                                        Participant
                                          I’m wishing you the best of luck! I go to DF on Wednesday for biopsy results and treatment planning I hope/think/guess. The PD1 trial sounds very promising 🙂 wasn’t that trailer the weirdest thing? It was my first PET so I had no idea what to expect… But it certainly wasn’t that! I keep waiting for it to drive away with me locked inside!
                                          Hstevens0072
                                          Participant
                                            Erinlisay38
                                            Participant
                                              I was also on that trailer in Worcester for my PET scan lol … and i also have been seein Dr Ibrahim since August … Ippi was my first treatment ,didn’t seem to help much tumors have all grown and I have new ones besides one small tumor shrunk a little so i dont know what to think … now tomorrow I am going to DF to start the PD1 trial fingers are crossed 🙂
                                              Erinlisay38
                                              Participant
                                                Janet Lee
                                                Participant

Best of luck.

Janet

Hstevens0072
                                                  Participant
                                                    Janet Lee
                                                    Participant

Hstevens0072
                                                      Participant
                                                        Thank you. I hadn’t considered asking about dosages but now I will. After reading the entire trial application I may be more frightened of the side effects than the cancer.
                                                        Hstevens0072
                                                        Participant
                                                          Thank you. I hadn’t considered asking about dosages but now I will. After reading the entire trial application I may be more frightened of the side effects than the cancer.
                                                          Hstevens0072
                                                          Participant
                                                          awillett1991
                                                          Participant
                                                            These are all FDA approved drugs so the decision is yours. I haven’t heard anything about not being able to do Ipi then Il 2, just maybe not in a trial, they have lots of rules.

I did Zel 5 mos, stopped it, -> Ipi -> SRS -> Zel-> finished Ipi on time and still on Zel. Here is what I learned.

Zel -> Ipi too quickly can often cause grade 3,& 4 rash adverse events. Somehow I avoided it. Ask their time frames for switching.

Ipi & Zel together or Zel following Ipi quickly can lead to significant liver toxicity issues. I was also hospitalized for muscle pain so bad I could barely breathe. I believe they stopped the Zel + Ipi combo trials

I was only on the 3 mg/kg dose of Ipi, but this appears to be 10 mg/kg. I’d ask if the side effects are worth it for the higher dose.

Good luck!

awillett1991
                                                            Participant

Good luck!

ad2424
                                                              Participant

I also (possibly) have multiple bilateral lung nodules. I say possibly because they have been stable for a year and perhaps they are non viable. I did IL-2 because I was in good shape, the nodules were small and I felt that I had time if it failed to do other therapies.

IL-2 is difficult but doable.

Hstevens0072
                                                                  Participant

Thank you for the response.  Did you do interferon prior to the IL-2?  Just wondering how/if it compares.  Did you work during the time you were treated with IL-2 – during the break between treatments?  Stable for a year – that sounds great.  I wish you continued success!

Hstevens0072
                                                                    Participant

Thank you for the response.  Did you do interferon prior to the IL-2?  Just wondering how/if it compares.  Did you work during the time you were treated with IL-2 – during the break between treatments?  Stable for a year – that sounds great.  I wish you continued success!

Hstevens0072
                                                                      Participant

Hstevens0072
                                                                        Participant

Hstevens0072
                                                                          Participant

ad2424
                                                                            Participant

Thank you.

I did not do interferon.

The first week after treatment it was more comfortable to work from home, although I may have gone in a day or two by the end of that first week.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

ad2424
                                                                              Participant

Thank you.

I did not do interferon.

The first week after treatment it was more comfortable to work from home, although I may have gone in a day or two by the end of that first week.

ad2424
                                                                                Participant

Thank you.

I did not do interferon.

Hstevens0072
                                                                                  Participant

ad2424
                                                                                  Participant

I also (possibly) have multiple bilateral lung nodules. I say possibly because they have been stable for a year and perhaps they are non viable. I did IL-2 because I was in good shape, the nodules were small and I felt that I had time if it failed to do other therapies.

ad2424
                                                                                    Participant

TSchulz
                                                                                      Participant

Personally, I would try IL-2 (like I did) before trying other treatments.  Especially if you are physically able and your disease is not currently rapidly progressing, life threatening, or causing you tons of pain.   If it works for you, you may have a long term durable response and not have to worry about medications and treatments in the future.  If it doesn't, you have not closed any doors to other treatment options.  It is difficult, very difficult, but most treatment centers who do HD IL-2 are very good at getting people through it.  

For me, I am trying to avoid using the BRAF inhibitors for as long as possible – in any form.  While we need people to enroll in trials combining medications and different regimens,  I feel that if my disease is stable enough I would take every shot at long term, durable response and not taking pills everyday. 

Also, why is she suggesting only this trial when the PD-1 trials seem to be progessing with such good results?

Good luck, these decisions are so hard.

Best, Troy

Hstevens0072
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Hi Troy,

Received test results today and I am negative for BRAF. Ipilimumab is scheduled to start March1 but in the meantime Dr I is trying to get me into a PD1trial.
                                                                                            We talked about INterluken but for now I think I’ll try something else.

These decisions are indeed hard. Here’s hoping I’ve made the right one.

Holly

Hstevens0072
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Hi Troy,

Received test results today and I am negative for BRAF. Ipilimumab is scheduled to start March1 but in the meantime Dr I is trying to get me into a PD1trial.

Holly

Hstevens0072
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Hi Troy,

Holly

TSchulz
                                                                                              Participant

Personally, I would try IL-2 (like I did) before trying other treatments.  Especially if you are physically able and your disease is not currently rapidly progressing, life threatening, or causing you tons of pain.   If it works for you, you may have a long term durable response and not have to worry about medications and treatments in the future.  If it doesn't, you have not closed any doors to other treatment options.  It is difficult, very difficult, but most treatment centers who do HD IL-2 are very good at getting people through it.  

For me, I am trying to avoid using the BRAF inhibitors for as long as possible – in any form.  While we need people to enroll in trials combining medications and different regimens,  I feel that if my disease is stable enough I would take every shot at long term, durable response and not taking pills everyday. 

Also, why is she suggesting only this trial when the PD-1 trials seem to be progessing with such good results?

Best, Troy

TSchulz
                                                                                                Participant

Best, Troy

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics