The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clinical trial questions for newbie

Forums General Melanoma Community Clinical trial questions for newbie

Participant
      When does a patient usually seek out a clinical trial? Is it after all current avenues of treatment fail or should a patient always be on the look out for a trial? It’s so confusing with all the different trials out there and I imagine it would be tough for the average patient to decide which one to choose especially since that decision can be a life or death one. Is it the patients responsibility to seek out these trials or the doctors? I imagine the doctors are so busy with day to day treatments of their patients that they wouldn’t have time to screen every patient for admission to every clinical trial since every patient is unique.

Cheers
      John

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Whether or not one wants to pursue a clinical trial option depends on many things.

1. First and foremost would be whether or not there is a viable treatment option for your condition. Back in the dark ages of melanoma (before 2011) when there were NO FDA approved treatment options other than interferon (which did absolutely nothing to improve OS and made you sick as a dog) or IL2 which as administered back then was a stay in the intensive care unit and a 10% response rate and given its toxicity was not generally an option unless you were Stage IV with inoperable disease – we all wanted a chance at a treatment via a clinical trial as ipi and nivo were cooking along there and outcomes to them were looking better than the options noted. So….if you have viable treatment options with odds that are as good or better than any current trial drugs – regular standard therapy is generally preferred.

2. Personality and money. Clinical trials are not for the faint of heart. They are their own crazy in addition to the treatment. Plus, they can be expensive. Most are not “free” as many may think. Pricing is variable, but for my nivo trial in 2010 the only thing that was “given” to me was the trial drug and the labs THEY wanted to draw for the study. All other expenses (from nursing in the unit, to tubing, to doctor visits, to REQUIRED for participation scans and labs – not to mention travel to the location) were my problem. If my insurance company covered them great. But if they didn’t and/or costs like deductibles and patient percentages not covered – they were mine to pay. Further, most trial paper work comes with a disclaimer that states if you grow three heads, have side effects, or any other untoward event – the coverage for diagnosing and treating that event is NOT the responsibility of the doc or institution running the trial nor the drug manufacturer. So, that’s fun. You really have to pay attention to the fine print.

3. Understanding what you are offered. Phase 1 trials are basically dosing trials. They are not technically done to see who they cure, rather they are done to determine the amount of med needed to get a response versus the amount of drug that makes people freak. Using my phase 1 nivo trial as an example – we were divided into 3 arms of Stage IV patients with active disease and 3 arms of Stage IV patients who had their disease removed via surgery or radiation. The first arm got only 1mg/kg of the drug. When we did not spontaneously combust, the next got 3mg/kg. And the third got 10mg/kg. The results of this and other studies at that time led to the use of the 3mg/kg dosing schedule which has now been rounded to the 240 mg dose every 2 weeks or the 480 mg dose every 4. Additionally, the drugs used in Phase 1 trials are relatively new with little data in humans to back up their use. So, there is a risk that they will not benefit the rattie as much as desired. HOWEVER, the good thing about Phase 1 trials is that everyone gets the drug. In Phase 2/3 trials – the trial drug is often randomized. With some arms getting nothing or a lesser drug. The recent/ongoing trials for ipi/nivo as adjuvant for melanoma are a pretty good deal because the participants get either the desired combo or nivo alone. So even if you get “only” the nivo arm, you are still getting a good treatment. Unfortunately, not all trial options are that good. I’ve ranted for years about everybody and his brother putting valid trial drugs for melanoma up against dacarbazine (a drug known to have little effect). Something that I feel at this point in time is simply unconscionable!!! I digress, but you get the idea.

4. Your doc’s role. Your doctor, if they deserve the license under which they practice ABSOLUTELY SHOULD discuss trial options with their patients when appropriate and help find the one that will best suit their patient’s needs!!!!!!!!!!!! However, the odds of attaining this service with a local one is small. If things get beyond the treatment options they have available, they will usually just send the patient to a bigger facility that does more research – which I guess is okay. The patient can then meet with docs who are more specialized and who have access to clinical trials. NOW – THOSE docs should still be frank about how good a fit the trials at their institution may or MAY NOT be for the particular patient. Some are. Some aren’t. I’ve experienced both. Sadly, many will simply try to enroll you in what they are running, rather than telling you about trial options elsewhere that may actually be better for you. I can say with complete authority that Jeff Weber, currently of NYU is a straight shooter whom I have known to tell patients when appropriate, that what he has open currently is not really their best bet, BUT the trial being run by so-and-so would be a better option and hook them up with the other physician.

5. Trial navigators can be used to help patients find trials they need. I have mixed opinions on this one, because – like the docs – some do a really good job and some do not. Many institutions and foundations have this service. In fact, I believe MRF has some.

6. There is no advocate for the patient better than the patient – when you or a family member is able physically and mentally to do the task. Searching for trials is absolutely daunting. But, it is doable for many. This site: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ – is fairly navigable. You can put in your disease and stage. You can put in a particular drug if you like. You can put in “recruiting” as a filter. For instance – here is what it looks like for Stage IV melanoma, actively recruiting trials: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?recrs=ab&cond=Stage+IV+Melanoma&term=&cntry=&state=&city=&dist= 198 trials are listed. You can click on each one. When you do that you will see the drugs used and the arms offered. You can google the drugs as needed to see what sort they are. Below that, inclusion and exclusion criteria are listed. Below that, all locations that the trial is being offered is noted – across the globe – not just the US. And often a trial coordinator is listed as well. I always tell folks – if you are at all interested in a trial – CALL!!!! Even if you are not certain you WANT to do it or if you actually qualify. It never hurts to ask questions and learn more. My husband found all the trial options I ever looked at via a trip to the institution at which they were offered including the Phase 1 nivo trial I participated in. HOWEVER, he found the nivo trial by calling regarding a different trial entirely!!!!

7. This may have been way more than you were interested in and your eyes may well have glazed over by now!!! I am still here because of my participation in my trial. I am certain of it. However, it is important to know what you are getting into. Hope this has been of some use.

yours, celeste

JudiAU
            Participant
              Thank you Celeste. This information is so helpful.
              mrhubahuba
              Participant
                Wow, amazing education on clinical trials, thanks Bubbles! Your response to my question is something that’s hard to find on internet if it even exist. I am sure I am not the only one on the board curious on how trials work and when we resort to them
                I am a planner and like to know my options in the event current meds don’t work. I always say it’s good to have a plan A, plan B etc etc.
                I recently was put on Tafinlar and mekinist after having bad reaction to braftovi and Mektovi ( high AST and alt levels and bad hives)and being on Opdivo for 6 months than going to stage 4 while on it makes you start thinking about other options. Weird thing is the braftovi appeared to work really well. My LDH level went from over 3000 to 500 in 10 days.
                I just like to know what’s out there in the event I don’t respond or my body rejects meds. Luckily I am under the care of Dr Jeff ” the wizard” Weber. He is at the top of the food chain in the melanoma world and I thank God I am under his care, truly a lifesaver. I am also becoming an autodidact when it comes to melanoma so I understand it better. BTW I told Dr Weber you call him the wizard and his nurses who were in the room started laughing. He definitely remembers you, I guess your unforgettable lol.

Cheers
                John

Bubbles
                Participant
                  BAHAHAHA!!! I just be me – everyday, everywhere!! Much to my husband’s chagrin, at times!!! Glad this helped, John!

Yes, it is frustrating that meds that work very well on our melanoma can cause havoc with our bodies in other ways. I hope the Taf/Mek combo will work well for you. Hang in there! Celeste

ed williams
                  Participant
                    Hi there John, reading your reply made me think of something , what is next for those who progress? I think having access to Dr. Weber puts you in a great position to inform the board to what Dr. Weber is up to and his view point of what next great option is out there after immunotherapy or target therapy. If we could get other patients like yourself and those who are at the big melanoma centers like MD Anderson and The Angeles Clinic (melanoma Mike) to post what is up coming or opening at their hospitals could be valuable information to many out there. Tils, TLR-9 injections+Pd-1, Lag-3+Pd-1, NKTR -214 + Pd-1, OXPHOS (oxidative phosporylation) at MD Anderson, Oncolytic Virotherapy, cancer vaccine, Bispecifics, Antibody Drug Conjugates, CARS, and re-challenge of Braf+Mek drugs after a period of time are also areas of research. Here are two video’s from The Angeles Clinic Aim at Melanoma series from early this year with Dr. Omid Hamid and Dr. Micheal Davies getting into various topics, OXPHOS is at 32 min mark of second video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbSHUEbhTho&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwup6wOizdo
                    mrhubahuba
                    Participant
                      Both great videos but the Dr Hamid one is really inspiring and should give all melanoma patients hope. The vaccine was really interesting, bespoke treatment, I like that. Now the question is when will these new treatments be available. Thanks for sharing these.

Cheers
                      John

Nadia1
                      Participant
                        John, thank you for posting your question. My mom couldn’t tolerate taf/mek or Braftovi/mektovi and after progressing on a clinical trial (PV10 + pembro) her new doctor at MSK suggested Vem/Cobi at 1/4th dosage and she went from being bedridden to fully functioning. Now she is resistant (after increasing and tolerating well increased dosages!) and I’m looking at trials vs ipi/Nivo (despite failing both previously) after SBRT for returning bone met. I feel like many people don’t get the option to start targeted therapy at lower doses!! It might be an option for you.

That said, thank you so much Celeste for this primer!!! I didn’t know you can call the investigator and (maybe) they would answer questions because the experience we had with our local hospital and trial was so odd- thankfully at MSK now and will also reach out to Dr Weber!!!

Ed thank you for your list and link! I do hope we hear from Mike soon.

Mark have you done genetic tests? I would like to post a question asking the board about the best tests- we are doing Impact finally after being told any testing is useless by several previous providers and second opinion docs since 2014!

Best, Nadia

ed williams
                        Participant
                          Hi Nadia, just a comment on genetic tests that you asked Mark about. Big centers that are doing research seem to be leading the way when it comes to getting blood and tissue samples as part of the process of making decisions especially if they have clinical trials. It kind of goes hand in hand with the mice research like what is going on at Yale with Dr. Sznol see following video starting at 6:40 min mark. There are specific mutations that they are looking for as well as staining of tissue and looking for T-regs or Interferon Gamma level as well as CD8+ levels, Lag-3, etc etc. Each study drug seems to have a specific target, so tissue and blood sample help to develop the data. Over the last few years big centers have used Foundation one gene test to see what specific genes are present that might qualify patient for already approved drugs from other cancer types. Tapur (link to follow) is also another example of looking at Genetic profile to see if you might qualify for other cancer drugs.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT86WjvZsB0&list=PLOnM_erAQqIAgXCqT_bxbFCtQV58IAuJZ&index=9&t=0s https://www.tapur.org/patients
                          ed williams
                          Participant
                            Here is one more link for genetic profile type tests called NCI-Match.https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/nci-supported/nci-match
                          MelanomaMike
                          Participant
                            Hi John, this Melanoma Mike that you’ve heard of in round about topics like Melanoma, or cancer & such haha, nice to meet ya…So, your asking about Trials?, I see our sister Celeste gave you an awesome answer, Trials are Night & Day compared to regular FDA approved meds, Clinical Trials are a pain in the ass! & That’s putting it lightly, they stand a good chance of working don’t get me wrong but, try and use the top of the line immunotherapys FIRST, plus there’s other avenues to, radiation, surgery’s, TIL shots, Vaccines etc. assuming your eligible. There’s so many Trials for “Solid Tumors” (that’s what ours is in a nutshell) Trials may not nessesarilly name Melanoma as one or more cancers to be treated, look for the name Solid Tumors when looking, you’ll see that mostly, especially in phase 1, 1b trials. As trials progress to phase 2 then you’ll see Melanoma listed a lot more cuz actual data is avail on Mel.,.Haven’t you recently started Yervoy?….In your bio, unless you got the dates wrong, you stated in late November that your team will test for the B-RAF Gene, you where diagnosed in March? And their just now testing that? Just curious bro!….my doctor, Dr. Hamid seems to have taken the reigns in searching for the best trials, so YES, your doc & team should help you….
                              mrhubahuba
                              Participant
                                Pleasure getting response from the famous, or perhaps infamous melanoma Mike. I have actually read most of your post and you have been a huge inspiration. I am unfortunately a control freak and like to plan things out and see what my options are just in case approved treatments don’t pan out, hence my question about the trials. I am actually under the care of Dr Weber at NYU and am extremely confident in his abilities. I actually posted today my latest scan results on this blog, 50% reduction in tumors!!!
                                As for my bio, I guess I should update that everytime I change meds or get scans. Your a real fighter man, keep it up and Happy Holidays!
                          Viewing 1 reply thread
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics