The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clinical Trial – Interferon vs. Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Clinical Trial – Interferon vs. Yervoy

Participant

I have completed all tests and received the clearance to participate in the trial viewing Interferon vs. Yervoy in an adjuvant therapy trial. I am 12 weeks post surgery and will begin treatment tomorrow. While I have commented on some postings, I have not posted since my initial diagnosis early July – what a wonderful, supportive group to be a part of. I was hoping to receive Yervoy in the trial but I was selected through radomization to receive Interferon.

I have completed all tests and received the clearance to participate in the trial viewing Interferon vs. Yervoy in an adjuvant therapy trial. I am 12 weeks post surgery and will begin treatment tomorrow. While I have commented on some postings, I have not posted since my initial diagnosis early July – what a wonderful, supportive group to be a part of. I was hoping to receive Yervoy in the trial but I was selected through radomization to receive Interferon. I am aware of all the side effects but if anyone has any recommendations of items to bring with me for 'comfort measures' or perhaps items that I should make sure I have within the home, I would appreciate feedback. It is always nice to know the 'tricks' that worked for others to keep comfortable during this time.

I am hoping that the side effects are minimal as the M4M Walk in our area is scheduled for the 18th of September. I will have 40+ family members/friends walking with me that day and we have raised over $8500 to date and keep going!!

Blessings to everyone –

Kim

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Kim,

Wishing you the best as you start this trial.  I'm originally from Smyrna and my husband worked for over 20 years at Johnson Control in Middletown.  We now live in SC.  We do have a few on the board from Delaware. Lear is also a patient at the Helen Graham Cancer Center. 

Please let us know how you do. We have a few on the board that recently started interfuron. I haven't done it but many have posted in the past to start on anti-depressants before they start the drug. You might want to consider talking to your Dr about this.

Linda    Stage IV since 06, presently NED

lhaley
          Participant

Kim,

Wishing you the best as you start this trial.  I'm originally from Smyrna and my husband worked for over 20 years at Johnson Control in Middletown.  We now live in SC.  We do have a few on the board from Delaware. Lear is also a patient at the Helen Graham Cancer Center. 

Please let us know how you do. We have a few on the board that recently started interfuron. I haven't done it but many have posted in the past to start on anti-depressants before they start the drug. You might want to consider talking to your Dr about this.

Linda    Stage IV since 06, presently NED

MariaH
            Participant

Hi Kim,

I'm sure you'll get many responses, as there are a few people who have started interferon in the last few weeks.  The most important things to have on hand is ibuprofen and tylenol (alternating between the two helps control fever and chills the best) as well as lots and lots of water!  Bananas were a staple in our household for the year my husband did the maintenance injections.

Best of luck in the walk, but don't be disappointed if you're not able to finish it.  The month of infusions is pretty tiring, and you need to rest as much as possible. 

Best of luck to you,

Maria

MariaH
              Participant

Hi Kim,

I'm sure you'll get many responses, as there are a few people who have started interferon in the last few weeks.  The most important things to have on hand is ibuprofen and tylenol (alternating between the two helps control fever and chills the best) as well as lots and lots of water!  Bananas were a staple in our household for the year my husband did the maintenance injections.

Best of luck in the walk, but don't be disappointed if you're not able to finish it.  The month of infusions is pretty tiring, and you need to rest as much as possible. 

Best of luck to you,

Maria

Donna M.
                Participant

Hi Kim,

I started Interferon on 8/22, and I'm doing pretty well (knock wood).  The side effects have not been too bad for me.  I have noticed that the fatigue is building a bit, and that a nap is really helpful these days.  The treatments are quick (my infusion is 20 minutes and I'm getting 27 million units), so by the time you get settled you'll be done.  Hopefully your treatments will be late in the day so that you can just go home and sleep through any side effects you might have.

One of the most important things you can do is drink tons of water.  I definitely notice a difference in the way I feel after treatment if I'm not drinking at least 3 quarts every day.  It can also be difficult to eat because you're so full from drinking water, so small meals throughout the day makes that easier.

Trying to keep a positive attitude is important.  If you end up having to take a couple of days off because your white cells or liver enzymes aren't cooperating, try not to get down about it.  It's not anything you're doing or not doing to cause it…it just happens.  I look at those days as mini-vacations.  =)

I will keep you in my thoughts as you begin your journey today that your treatments will be tolerable for you. 

Congrats on the money you've raised for the walk!

Best wishes,

Donna

Donna M.
                  Participant

Hi Kim,

I started Interferon on 8/22, and I'm doing pretty well (knock wood).  The side effects have not been too bad for me.  I have noticed that the fatigue is building a bit, and that a nap is really helpful these days.  The treatments are quick (my infusion is 20 minutes and I'm getting 27 million units), so by the time you get settled you'll be done.  Hopefully your treatments will be late in the day so that you can just go home and sleep through any side effects you might have.

One of the most important things you can do is drink tons of water.  I definitely notice a difference in the way I feel after treatment if I'm not drinking at least 3 quarts every day.  It can also be difficult to eat because you're so full from drinking water, so small meals throughout the day makes that easier.

Trying to keep a positive attitude is important.  If you end up having to take a couple of days off because your white cells or liver enzymes aren't cooperating, try not to get down about it.  It's not anything you're doing or not doing to cause it…it just happens.  I look at those days as mini-vacations.  =)

I will keep you in my thoughts as you begin your journey today that your treatments will be tolerable for you. 

Congrats on the money you've raised for the walk!

Best wishes,

Donna

zuleima
                    Participant

Hi Kim,

Don't be affraid. Negative effects are stronger in the first days, then they almost disappear. It was like this in my case. I had chills and fatigue in the first administration, then everything was ok.  Is very important to have something to do if you stay in the hospital. Aa laptop would be ideal. So you can watch movies and chat with friends.

Keep us informed! Kiss!

Zuleima

zuleima
                      Participant

Hi Kim,

Don't be affraid. Negative effects are stronger in the first days, then they almost disappear. It was like this in my case. I had chills and fatigue in the first administration, then everything was ok.  Is very important to have something to do if you stay in the hospital. Aa laptop would be ideal. So you can watch movies and chat with friends.

Keep us informed! Kiss!

Zuleima

MikeWI
                        Participant

I Started Inerferon on 9/6, the first few days were the worst of it.  After those few days it really was not that bad, just been very tired.

I would recomend a anti depresant as it does depress.  Drink plenty of water.

I have 6 treatments down with 14 more to go..

MikeWI

MikeWI
                          Participant

I Started Inerferon on 9/6, the first few days were the worst of it.  After those few days it really was not that bad, just been very tired.

I would recomend a anti depresant as it does depress.  Drink plenty of water.

I have 6 treatments down with 14 more to go..

MikeWI

Donna M.
                            Participant

Personally, I would recommend against going for the anti-depressant until you see if you need it.  I have not been depressed at all, and I'm halfway through my treatments now.  We're all different.  You may not need it.

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

I woud qualify the start of anti-depressamts based on the the person.  If one tends to have depresssion problems or be a "down" personality, I cn see starting them early.  If one tends to be very stable or upbeat, then Ian see waiting and having someone to advise you if you seem to be getting to far down.  Sometimes it's hard to tell for  oneself.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

I woud qualify the start of anti-depressamts based on the the person.  If one tends to have depresssion problems or be a "down" personality, I cn see starting them early.  If one tends to be very stable or upbeat, then Ian see waiting and having someone to advise you if you seem to be getting to far down.  Sometimes it's hard to tell for  oneself.

Donna M.
                                  Participant

Personally, I would recommend against going for the anti-depressant until you see if you need it.  I have not been depressed at all, and I'm halfway through my treatments now.  We're all different.  You may not need it.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics