The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clinical trial advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Clinical trial advice

Participant

I'm currently stage 3a, about to have surgery to remove lymph nodes. After that I will start Interferon. I live in Memphis and there are no clinical trials available here. There is one available at Vanderbilt in Nashville (4 hour drive). It involves using ipilimumab, but it is a double blind study. I'm just wondering if that would even be worth my time. I know most all of this is a wait and see kind of thing, but I'm only 32 and would like to do whatever I can to reduce my chances of it coming back.

I'm currently stage 3a, about to have surgery to remove lymph nodes. After that I will start Interferon. I live in Memphis and there are no clinical trials available here. There is one available at Vanderbilt in Nashville (4 hour drive). It involves using ipilimumab, but it is a double blind study. I'm just wondering if that would even be worth my time. I know most all of this is a wait and see kind of thing, but I'm only 32 and would like to do whatever I can to reduce my chances of it coming back. The good thing is that my PET/CT scans were clear and that I only had one sentinel node with a micrometastases.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        debbieVA
        Participant

Hello Dana….

I just met you in chat…You sound lovely…even tho you don't like to cook!  LOL!  Wishing you a lovely happy Thanksgiving with your family.  I know you are headed into your LND….not the best kind of Birthday present…but keep your spirits up~!  Praying for a speedy recovery.  Best to you!

Debbie Stage 4 NED 

debbieVA
          Participant

Hello Dana….

I just met you in chat…You sound lovely…even tho you don't like to cook!  LOL!  Wishing you a lovely happy Thanksgiving with your family.  I know you are headed into your LND….not the best kind of Birthday present…but keep your spirits up~!  Praying for a speedy recovery.  Best to you!

Debbie Stage 4 NED 

ValinMtl
            Participant

Hi Dana, please be careful of double blind studies.  If I recall correctly, should you end up not with ipilimumab, and receive say 'placebo'…this could prevent you from participating in any further ipilimumab trials.  Do verify this with your doctor.  I was offered a study with ipilimumab on one arm and the other with placebo when I was stage 3b…I nixed it because I was certain I'd end up on the placebo arm.  I did interferon, didn't work but hey a friend did interferon about 15 years ago and he had an unknown primary..still doing well.  I'm now stage IV and on compassionate ipilimumab trial, glad I waited.

Best wishes on all your decisions, glad to hear your PET/CT scans were clear.  Val

KatyWI
                Participant

Val makes a good point, but I think this particular Ipi study is "lower risk" in terms of getting excluded from further Ipi trials.  Here's why I think so:  Ipi is likely to be approved for stage IV patients in March.  The study Dana's considering is for stage III/fully resected patients.  If she goes on the trial and sometime later progresses to stage IV, assuming Ipi gets approved, she won't have to be in a trial to access Ipi.  The chance of getting placebo is a real concern in any trial, but for this trial at least, I don't think exclusion from future trials is a big concern.  It's a worthwhile question to post to the lead investigator on the study, if you continue to consider the adjuvant Ipi trial.

Dana, good luck with your decision. 

KatyWI

KatyWI
                  Participant

Val makes a good point, but I think this particular Ipi study is "lower risk" in terms of getting excluded from further Ipi trials.  Here's why I think so:  Ipi is likely to be approved for stage IV patients in March.  The study Dana's considering is for stage III/fully resected patients.  If she goes on the trial and sometime later progresses to stage IV, assuming Ipi gets approved, she won't have to be in a trial to access Ipi.  The chance of getting placebo is a real concern in any trial, but for this trial at least, I don't think exclusion from future trials is a big concern.  It's a worthwhile question to post to the lead investigator on the study, if you continue to consider the adjuvant Ipi trial.

Dana, good luck with your decision. 

KatyWI

ValinMtl
                  Participant

Hi Dana, please be careful of double blind studies.  If I recall correctly, should you end up not with ipilimumab, and receive say 'placebo'…this could prevent you from participating in any further ipilimumab trials.  Do verify this with your doctor.  I was offered a study with ipilimumab on one arm and the other with placebo when I was stage 3b…I nixed it because I was certain I'd end up on the placebo arm.  I did interferon, didn't work but hey a friend did interferon about 15 years ago and he had an unknown primary..still doing well.  I'm now stage IV and on compassionate ipilimumab trial, glad I waited.

Best wishes on all your decisions, glad to hear your PET/CT scans were clear.  Val

ChristineL
                    Participant

Hi,

Just want to mention that I was rejected from this trial because I didn't have "enough" cancer in my lymph node to qualify.  You may want to check that first to make sure you're eligible (need 1mm in node).  Unless of course the oncologst already told you that you were good to go, and then I'll just shut up… 🙂    Good luck with your decision, whatever you decide, it will be the right one!

ChristineL
                      Participant

Hi,

Just want to mention that I was rejected from this trial because I didn't have "enough" cancer in my lymph node to qualify.  You may want to check that first to make sure you're eligible (need 1mm in node).  Unless of course the oncologst already told you that you were good to go, and then I'll just shut up… 🙂    Good luck with your decision, whatever you decide, it will be the right one!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics