The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Checking In

Forums General Melanoma Community Checking In

Participant

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've visited as I need a break. After Artie passed and I recurred again, things hit me hard…this disease just sucks. I see people are doing well while others are having challenges. I've thought about many of you who've I communicated with in this forum; praying you're doing well. For those who are new and I haven't made your acquaintance…welcome you're in a good place with good people. I did a bit of poking around and saw many familiar names which is great! Special call out to Celeste(Bubbles) who has been a beacon of light and wealth of information!!! I saw a MRF publication in oncologist office with you on the cover and your story!!! Awesome!!!

Not sure where I left off when I took my break but after 4th recurrence (sub q to left arm pit), I didn't have to do the surgery for margins, my surgical onc at Northwestern said not necessary so I started the Nivo in November as adjuvant treatment being NED and believe I'll have my 8th dose next week. Overall, feeling fine with minor side effects; itchy skin (rash) and need to increase synthroid meds. I've had a few things removed…currently waiting on pathology for small bump removed from neck/collarbone area. A little freaked about this one…haven't had the best luck in past. Of course as we all know the waiting and anxiety is overwhelming. Keep asking myself if this is mel….then the Nivo is not working??? Hopefully they have more in the pipeline.

Wishing everyone the best! Keep on fighting!!!

Josh

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Josh!!!  Thanks for the call-out and the update!!!  I've been thinking about you! I know it is tough…sorry about the nivo itch and the synthroid business…but hang in there!!!  You got this!!!! Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Hey Josh!!!  Thanks for the call-out and the update!!!  I've been thinking about you! I know it is tough…sorry about the nivo itch and the synthroid business…but hang in there!!!  You got this!!!! Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

jenny22
              Participant

Hi Josh- Nice to see you posting….

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the path report from this latest "bump" comes back as something other than MEL.

Hoping your upcoming NIVO treatments keep you NED with only minimal side effects…

Will be looking for your next post and hoping for good news!

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                Participant

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the path report from this latest "bump" comes back as something other than MEL.

Hoping your upcoming NIVO treatments keep you NED with only minimal side effects…

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                  Participant

Best,

jenny

BrianP
                    Participant

Good to hear from you Josh.  Sorry about your latest challenges.  Hang in there.  Glad to hear you are tolerating the Nivo without too much difficulty. 

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

Good to hear from you Josh.  Sorry about your latest challenges.  Hang in there.  Glad to hear you are tolerating the Nivo without too much difficulty. 

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Brian

Mat
                          Participant

Josh, good to hear from you and that you're doing well.

Mat
                            Participant

Mat
                              Participant

Eileensulliv
                                Participant

Hey Josh! I'm happy to see your update and that you are doing well! I know this has been a bumpy road for you, but your resilience and honest feelings about this stuff is spot on. Ive done over twenty infusions of nivo so far, tomorrow's scan will tell if I get to keep my NED status! Praying for you!

Eileensulliv
                                  Participant

Hey Josh! I'm happy to see your update and that you are doing well! I know this has been a bumpy road for you, but your resilience and honest feelings about this stuff is spot on. Ive done over twenty infusions of nivo so far, tomorrow's scan will tell if I get to keep my NED status! Praying for you!

Eileensulliv
                                    Participant

_Paul_
                                      Participant

Its great to hear you are doing well on the nivo Josh. I hope you get your path reports back quickly.

Wishing the best for you – Paul

_Paul_
                                        Participant

Its great to hear you are doing well on the nivo Josh. I hope you get your path reports back quickly.

_Paul_
                                          Participant

Maureen038
                                              Participant

I'm wishing you the best news Josh!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                Participant

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                  Participant

Maureen

Momofjake
                                                  Participant

Thanks for the update Josh. I am with you. I really struggled with Artie's goodbye. I haven't posted much. I am always happy and very grateful to see NED anywhere on here! Hoping path comes back good, if not you just get after this crap fast! You are starting from a good place. 

Jake, now 18, has scans 3/7. I hate the whole process! He has been on keytruda 9 mo now. Some shrunk. Some grew. For now he just lives best he can!! 

I am glad you wrote. Let us know how it goes–either way. You have some pretty amazing peeps on here!! 

Prayers,

kerri–momofjake

Momofjake
                                                    Participant

Thanks for the update Josh. I am with you. I really struggled with Artie's goodbye. I haven't posted much. I am always happy and very grateful to see NED anywhere on here! Hoping path comes back good, if not you just get after this crap fast! You are starting from a good place. 

Jake, now 18, has scans 3/7. I hate the whole process! He has been on keytruda 9 mo now. Some shrunk. Some grew. For now he just lives best he can!! 

I am glad you wrote. Let us know how it goes–either way. You have some pretty amazing peeps on here!! 

Prayers,

kerri–momofjake

JoshF
                                                        Participant

Hi Kerri-

Thanks  for response. I've been very fortunate even though I haven't had luck with these tiny bumps removed, maybe this is the time. It's the anxiety now that always gets best of me…the looming question if it is mel…is the Nivo not working??? Just hate it.

I've read your profile and posts in past regarding Jake. I honestly never responded to any as it is too hard. I check the posts with anticipation and hope of hearing the best news.  I hate seeing this for anyone let alone a teenage boy. Is there a chance to move to Nivo if needed after scans on 3/7? Any other treatment options? Trials? I'll be prayng for Jake & family.

Josh

JoshF
                                                          Participant

Hi Kerri-

Thanks  for response. I've been very fortunate even though I haven't had luck with these tiny bumps removed, maybe this is the time. It's the anxiety now that always gets best of me…the looming question if it is mel…is the Nivo not working??? Just hate it.

I've read your profile and posts in past regarding Jake. I honestly never responded to any as it is too hard. I check the posts with anticipation and hope of hearing the best news.  I hate seeing this for anyone let alone a teenage boy. Is there a chance to move to Nivo if needed after scans on 3/7? Any other treatment options? Trials? I'll be prayng for Jake & family.

Josh

JoshF
                                                            Participant

Hi Kerri-

Josh

Momofjake
                                                            Participant

Prayers,

kerri–momofjake

JoshF
                                                              Participant

Thanks for responses everyone…appreciate it and like hearing from everyone. Guessing I should get some results next week….think path usually takes a week. It's amazing what I missed in just a couple of months… I'll try to give another update in a week or so. As always, appreciate everyone's support!!! Wishing you all the best!

JoshF
                                                                Participant

Thanks for responses everyone…appreciate it and like hearing from everyone. Guessing I should get some results next week….think path usually takes a week. It's amazing what I missed in just a couple of months… I'll try to give another update in a week or so. As always, appreciate everyone's support!!! Wishing you all the best!

JoshF
                                                                  Participant

AshleyS
                                                                    Participant

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the update. I'll be praying for you as you await scan results. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                                                      Participant

Hey Josh,

Ashley

AshleyS
                                                                        Participant

Hey Josh,

Ashley

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics