The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Checking in

Forums General Melanoma Community Checking in

Participant

Hi everyone, I thought I would check in and let you all know that I'm still alive and kicking melanoma.

I had an annual checkup at the melanoma outpatients here in Brisbane at the Princess Alexandra Hospital this week and I'm pleased to say I am still NED.  The hospital doctor who I haven't seen before was having a hard time reading my history because I've had so many bouts of melanoma and yet here I am nearly my 13th year Stage III and still beating it.

Hi everyone, I thought I would check in and let you all know that I'm still alive and kicking melanoma.

I had an annual checkup at the melanoma outpatients here in Brisbane at the Princess Alexandra Hospital this week and I'm pleased to say I am still NED.  The hospital doctor who I haven't seen before was having a hard time reading my history because I've had so many bouts of melanoma and yet here I am nearly my 13th year Stage III and still beating it.

I have updated my patnet under " Nicky" to help anyone struggling with this disease.  I remain positive and even though I am getting on with life, I always remain vigilant.

If anyone is new to this disease, it is not necessarily a death sentence, everyone is different.  There are still people surviving melanoma, they are just getting on with their lives and may not necessarily post.

This board has always been there for me along this journey and I just want to wish you all the best and thank you.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

Congratulations on your NED status! Wow! You have been through a lot. It's inspiring to read stories like yours from a fellow Stage III warrior. I pray that NED stays with you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Linny
          Participant

Congratulations on your NED status! Wow! You have been through a lot. It's inspiring to read stories like yours from a fellow Stage III warrior. I pray that NED stays with you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Linny
            Participant

hbecker
              Participant

Nicky,

Thanks so much for posting this! We are new here – my husband had a cyst removed that turned out to be melanoma, then had a negative sentinel node biopsy and PET/CT scan. The original path report said "metastatic" because there was no evidence of melanoma on the skin. Technically the negative biopsy and scan means he is NED – but the staging is tricky because the melanoma wasn't on his skin, it was in the dermis. They think this was the primary site but don't know that for sure – but the cyst itself measured 9.5mm – pretty big, and perhaps meaning he is Stage III. Now we are waiting and waiting for appointments to see which clinical trials he should consider …

But 13 years Stage III sounds so good to me!! Thank you thank you thank you!

Hazel

melanomafighter
                  Participant
                    Congrats on Ned!!! I am Stage IIIB as well didnt have it on my skin either I am NED too!
                    Irish girl
                    Participant
                      Tks Nicky for posting, just dx with stage 3 in march 2012 and it’s stories like yours keeps me going!
                      Irish girl
                      Participant
                        Tks Nicky for posting, just dx with stage 3 in march 2012 and it’s stories like yours keeps me going!
                        Irish girl
                        Participant
                          melanomafighter
                          Participant
                            Congrats on Ned!!! I am Stage IIIB as well didnt have it on my skin either I am NED too!
                            melanomafighter
                            Participant
                            hbecker
                            Participant

Nicky,

Thanks so much for posting this! We are new here – my husband had a cyst removed that turned out to be melanoma, then had a negative sentinel node biopsy and PET/CT scan. The original path report said "metastatic" because there was no evidence of melanoma on the skin. Technically the negative biopsy and scan means he is NED – but the staging is tricky because the melanoma wasn't on his skin, it was in the dermis. They think this was the primary site but don't know that for sure – but the cyst itself measured 9.5mm – pretty big, and perhaps meaning he is Stage III. Now we are waiting and waiting for appointments to see which clinical trials he should consider …

Hazel

hbecker
                              Participant

Nicky,

Hazel

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant
                                  Nikky,people like you and Charlie (16 yrs, at stage 4 and not NET), sure shows others there is hope!
                                  JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant
                                    Nikky,people like you and Charlie (16 yrs, at stage 4 and not NET), sure shows others there is hope!
                                      Snickers60
                                      Participant

Way to go "NED" – what a fantastic name huh ?    Thank you so much for your post and congrats on your long

term NED results.  YOU GIVE US MUCH HOPE………….

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne) 

Snickers60
                                        Participant

Way to go "NED" – what a fantastic name huh ?    Thank you so much for your post and congrats on your long

Snickers60
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant
                                        Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics