The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Checkin In!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Checkin In!!

Participant

How ya doin` Ladies & Germs?, im doing ok, a little more "nerve" pains then normal, is it the Nivo, is it my lungs, is it something "brewing" somewhere else? i do have a CT {with & without contrast} for my freakin` "Head", im sure iv told you, im severly "Claustrophobic" and have not done an MRI or PET in some time, Adavans no longer work & my anxiety level has gone way extreme, it played a roll in my backing out of the surgery, i know it did..CT scans are no sweat, a big ass Doughnut, 5 minutes tops & im outta there! i just cant beleive my Onco didnt order one sooner for the ol` head knowing my anxiety of MRI`s and such, "I" didnt even think to ask all this time that have gone by till i saw that 2nd opinion Onco remember? it actually hit me like  ton of bricks while i was waiting to see him! "Why hasnt she ordered a CT for me if im that crazy about it? i did ask her why, and shes right, CT`S arnt the best of scan pertaining to the Brain, and is very limited but, "i" then asked her "Will It Light Up Any Tumors If There Is Any? she said "well yes" & i just kept my mouth shut…it just made me more upset. Ive learned the chances of tumor travel from lungs to brains is high…in the past month iv had ringing in both ears, i feel "puffy" in my head & a bit of neck pains, no head aches, just minor neck {back of head, in neck area and my nose will leak clear, runny snot if i bend over! just one nostrol though haha…So, of course we think "everything" is cancer hahah…So, i have my CT this Wed at 3:30pm, hopefully Friday ill have results…Take care guys, all my love yer way, i did my best puttin in my 2 cents & replied to alotta post`s from folks, i just havnt been myself…

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

I feel ya on that anxiety Mike, it's NOT fun. I will say if there is anything suspicious in the CT of your head… they will need to do a brain MRI to get better images. MRIs are nightmares for myself as well… brain being the worst. Since my body has been falling apart this year I've had mutiple other MRIs for other parts of my body too.. HATE them. So, IF you need a brain MRI (but I am keep positive thoughts you will NOT need one) you can ask to be sedated. Sedation is not uncommon to use for severely claustrophobic patients that need MRI.

WIshing you all the best as always and a Happy Thanksgiving! 

Mark_DC
          Participant

Hi Mike – I know its a real pain and also that CT is a piece of cake compared to MRIs both because of the claustrophobia and that it takes a long time and you have to remain still. I have had to do brain and leg mRI in the same session with and without contrast which was around two hours. Then they asked me to retake!

my only advice is that if you do do an MRI then try to listen to classical music (not mich help for brain mri since its so noisy) and somehow try to meditate your way through it by thinking of things you like or love. That and religion might help too (it has helped me get through thr MRI).plus i ask the operator to explain what he is doing and how long each burst will last. I really really hate MRI (and would love my oncologist to experience it sometime!) but this is how i try to handle. And a drink afterwards of course.

good luck with the scans and also the surgery – i would dread it too, i put off mine for tvec, good luck psyching yourself up and maybe having a list of films that you want to watch while recovering

best wishes

mark

casagrayson
            Participant

My way to get through a brain MRI:   Take Xanax when I get to the facility.  Lie down on table, and close my eyes before they ever come near me with the head guard.  Don't open eyes until they pull me out!

jennunicorn
                Participant

Yes me too Susan! Was going to mention, Mike, I fully drug myself (I may over medicate a little, I tend to black out and not remember the MRI or half that day afterward… don't tell my onc, haha) and I close my eyes as soon as I put those ear plugs in! So nerve wracking, wish they'd just have open MRIs offered everywhere. 

bjeans
                Participant

Mike – drugs for this week! Doesn’t have to be adavan.

And there is help available – even for claustrophobia. Sometimes we try to ignore terror or face it, but it catches us so we bolt – I have done this, not for claustrophobia but for another phobia. 

But instead of trying to break through the wall of terror we can go around it. There are skills that can be learned – through self-hypnosis and other techniques, that practitioners who deal with phobias can help with. Asking for help in order to get the medical treatments we need is scary and brave too. But the outcome can be worth it. Just my take. YMMV. 

Hang in there and think of everyone who’s got your back. 

Beth the Wife

MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    Thank you all again, as usual when “i” need some support you all are there & thank you!…
                    Matter a fact im here now waiting to get my Cocktail (IV contrast juice) to gulp down for my CT..thanks guys talk 2 yas soon..
                    TexMelanomex
                    Participant

Hey Big Mike, hopefully the scans went well brother. Some good advice here about the MRI, I'm one of those odd ducks that doesn't really mind the MRI machinew but maybe you just need something different than Attivan, maybe a Valium would do the trick…I'm a cheap date but I had one once before a minor surgery and I might as well have been on another planet. Like some others have said, they can even go full sedation if needed but maybe I'm getting way ahead of myself because the CT scans are clean and no MRI will be needed!

Warrior on brother!

MelanomaMike
                        Participant

Brother Tex!, good to see ya man, ya know, i believe we {wife or I} threw that at them & they said "no" because i needed to be coherrent for the scan {or something like that its been awhile}, i should bring it up again cuz of the fact im hearing here on MRF it can be done! WTH!? i hate having this defect, it effects my treatment severely and i cant "over power" it by telling myself this is Life or Death just do it!..it doesnt work..im gunna ask again, especially if the CT isnt clear or on my next round of MRI & PET scans…Happy Thanks Givin to ya brother! we made it! 2018!…

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics