The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Charlie 24 Melanoma Zero

Forums General Melanoma Community Charlie 24 Melanoma Zero

Participant

In June of 1987 a surgeon stuck a knife in me, carved out a lump in my armpit that turned out to be melanoma.  Stage III with an unknown primary it was.  Yes, you read that right, June of 1987……………twenty four years ago.

Following that knife fight, melanoma lay silent in my body until 1996 when it then reared its' ugly head and made me Stage IV.  Since 1996 I have had had six recurrences, still have active disease and still am Stage IV with months to live………………..or so the story goes.

In June of 1987 a surgeon stuck a knife in me, carved out a lump in my armpit that turned out to be melanoma.  Stage III with an unknown primary it was.  Yes, you read that right, June of 1987……………twenty four years ago.

Following that knife fight, melanoma lay silent in my body until 1996 when it then reared its' ugly head and made me Stage IV.  Since 1996 I have had had six recurrences, still have active disease and still am Stage IV with months to live………………..or so the story goes.

Well over a third of my life and damn near half of it has been saddled  with melanoma wanting to murder me.  In the process I started  a business, lost a business, made a fortune, lost a fortune, had a wife and got bled by a wife, loved and lost true love in my arms with her last breath.

Over the years of being here I have physically met people, touched them, embraced them, been in their homes, shared with their families and watched them die from melanoma.

Each time a friend would die, I screamed to who would listen "take me instead", and so far, whoever decides that says no.

I do not know why I am alive and others are not and that bothers me.

But, whatever the deal is, all I know is to keep banging on melanoma……………..and that is just what I am doin

Charlie S

Viewing 27 reply threads
    • Replies
        rtsmichele
        Participant

You are an amazing man, Charlie!  Keep on keepin' on . . .

XO,

Michele  🙂

rtsmichele
          Participant

You are an amazing man, Charlie!  Keep on keepin' on . . .

XO,

Michele  🙂

lhaley
            Participant

Can't wait to see the post where it's Charlie 25, mel 0.  That would be a quarter of a century!

Who knows why some of us are here and others aren't. You've dealt with this for a long time and have had to deal with your own demons during that time, isn't that enough! You have given your team much experience that they are now using on others.

Maybe your still here because you help educate others. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. Just this weekend 3 people lost their lives on a local lake in 3 different accidents. All young.

Keep passing on information.  Today I had another one of those days where I ended up seeing both Amin and White. I for one appreciate your passing along the names of Doctors who consider my thoughts also!  At 4:45 tonight Amin had to run to catch a flight. Lisbeth caught White and asked him to do a FNA so I didn't have to come back tomorrow.  After considerable teasing he complied.

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

Can't wait to see the post where it's Charlie 25, mel 0.  That would be a quarter of a century!

Who knows why some of us are here and others aren't. You've dealt with this for a long time and have had to deal with your own demons during that time, isn't that enough! You have given your team much experience that they are now using on others.

Maybe your still here because you help educate others. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. Just this weekend 3 people lost their lives on a local lake in 3 different accidents. All young.

Keep passing on information.  Today I had another one of those days where I ended up seeing both Amin and White. I for one appreciate your passing along the names of Doctors who consider my thoughts also!  At 4:45 tonight Amin had to run to catch a flight. Lisbeth caught White and asked him to do a FNA so I didn't have to come back tomorrow.  After considerable teasing he complied.

Linda

KRob
                Participant

Don't know if there is an answer to your question, but I am glad that you are with us. You've been the source of much inspiration and even more smiles here 🙂

KRob
                  Participant

Don't know if there is an answer to your question, but I am glad that you are with us. You've been the source of much inspiration and even more smiles here 🙂

KRob
                    Participant

KRob
                      Participant

Lori C
                        Participant

You are alive because you are supposed to be I think; I've become decidely more mystical of late.  You are just not through here yet.  I'm sure there are scientifically dissectible reasons that could be cited, but I believe ultimately, if you wake up today, it's because there's still something you are supposed to be doing.  Glad you are here Charlie!

Lori

Lisa13
                            Participant

Charlie,

You give all of us HOPE!  Your attitude is amazing and is likely one of the reasons why you are still here. You may have had 6 reoccurence and still have active disease, but you don't ever let the disease win you over!  Keep up the fight Charlie – it's yours to win!

I have 15 "spots" on my lungs which put me at Stage 4 after 2 months of being diagnosed. Your strength inspires me and I'm not going to let this beast win either!

Lisa

Lisa13
                              Participant

Charlie,

You give all of us HOPE!  Your attitude is amazing and is likely one of the reasons why you are still here. You may have had 6 reoccurence and still have active disease, but you don't ever let the disease win you over!  Keep up the fight Charlie – it's yours to win!

I have 15 "spots" on my lungs which put me at Stage 4 after 2 months of being diagnosed. Your strength inspires me and I'm not going to let this beast win either!

Lisa

Lori C
                              Participant

You are alive because you are supposed to be I think; I've become decidely more mystical of late.  You are just not through here yet.  I'm sure there are scientifically dissectible reasons that could be cited, but I believe ultimately, if you wake up today, it's because there's still something you are supposed to be doing.  Glad you are here Charlie!

Lori

Carol Taylor
                                Participant

I like your style, Charlie! And I like your numbers. Congrats and thanks!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                  Participant

I like your style, Charlie! And I like your numbers. Congrats and thanks!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Kimmer
                                    Participant

Queen of Guilt here…I don't understand why some of us go free either, but guess we just have to be grateful and look to live happy lives.  Seems that is our task and obligation.

Congratulations Charlie!  I wish you only joy.

Take good care, k.

Kimmer
                                      Participant

Queen of Guilt here…I don't understand why some of us go free either, but guess we just have to be grateful and look to live happy lives.  Seems that is our task and obligation.

Congratulations Charlie!  I wish you only joy.

Take good care, k.

BarbieGirl
                                        Participant

Hey, ya ol' fart!  I'm glad we've met and I'm glad you've been in my home.  You're welcome back anytime, ya know! 

I'm still wondering who's body we saw on our way to the airport.. hahahaha!!

You keep on banging the sh*t outta melanoma… whatever you're doing is working for YOU!!

Thanks for your inspiration, thanks for being a "poster child" of HOPE for those of us who see none, and thanks for just being YOU.  I love you, guy!  *Hugz*

~Lisa~

ps.. I finally sent you my original path report—did you get a chance to look over it? 

killmel
                                            Participant

Hi Charlie,

Congratualations

I am a newbie & so impressed with your attitude.

I reviewed your history but it stopped in 2004.

I would be interested in knowing what treatments (besides surgery) you have had since 2004.

You arre amazing man.

Thank you fro taking time to post your treatments.

Tammy

killmel
                                              Participant

Hi Charlie,

Congratualations

I am a newbie & so impressed with your attitude.

I reviewed your history but it stopped in 2004.

I would be interested in knowing what treatments (besides surgery) you have had since 2004.

You arre amazing man.

Thank you fro taking time to post your treatments.

Tammy

BarbieGirl
                                              Participant

Hey, ya ol' fart!  I'm glad we've met and I'm glad you've been in my home.  You're welcome back anytime, ya know! 

I'm still wondering who's body we saw on our way to the airport.. hahahaha!!

You keep on banging the sh*t outta melanoma… whatever you're doing is working for YOU!!

Thanks for your inspiration, thanks for being a "poster child" of HOPE for those of us who see none, and thanks for just being YOU.  I love you, guy!  *Hugz*

~Lisa~

ps.. I finally sent you my original path report—did you get a chance to look over it? 

nicoli
                                                Participant

Move over Charlie………. I'VE only got 23.5 more years until I reach the big 25 !!

Congrats to us!

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                                                  Participant

Move over Charlie………. I'VE only got 23.5 more years until I reach the big 25 !!

Congrats to us!

Nicki, Stage 3b

Bill in Mtl
                                                    Participant

Hey Charlie – great to see your post.  I just got 10 years under my belt, and dropped in to say hi.  You were one of the first to reply to my newbie posts back then – and I so appreciate it.

You continue to inspire me

All the best my friend

Have a good one

Bill

Bill in Mtl
                                                      Participant

Hey Charlie – great to see your post.  I just got 10 years under my belt, and dropped in to say hi.  You were one of the first to reply to my newbie posts back then – and I so appreciate it.

You continue to inspire me

All the best my friend

Have a good one

Bill

Dynasysman
                                                        Participant

Charlie —

You're my hero!  And I really need a hero today (see my slightly freaked out post)…

I don't know if you do this, but is there any chance we could talk by phone sometime?  Our profiles — starting businesses, making and losing fortunes. etc. — are pretty similar.  Right now, I need a kindred spirit to kick my ass and stop my pity party, and your writing suggests that you might be the guy to do it if you are willing.  I have nothing to offer but my gratitude and a promise to make join you cheerleading for the people who come to this site in need of hope.

Whether we get to talk or not, thanks for all the people you inspire every time you show up here.

MariaH
                                                            Participant

Charlie, I agree with Dynasysman, your attitude is one I can relate to – and gives so many of us a different prospective.  I haven't seen you post much recently, and with Dave's diagnosis I thought "where's Charlie"?  You were here when I first joined, and still are.  I can't tell you how much I needed to see your post – and maybe that is why you have been spared.  To give people hope when they need it most.

Cheers Charlie, and for goodness sake, keep kicking Mels ass!!

Maria

MariaH
                                                              Participant

Charlie, I agree with Dynasysman, your attitude is one I can relate to – and gives so many of us a different prospective.  I haven't seen you post much recently, and with Dave's diagnosis I thought "where's Charlie"?  You were here when I first joined, and still are.  I can't tell you how much I needed to see your post – and maybe that is why you have been spared.  To give people hope when they need it most.

Cheers Charlie, and for goodness sake, keep kicking Mels ass!!

Maria

Dynasysman
                                                              Participant

Charlie —

You're my hero!  And I really need a hero today (see my slightly freaked out post)…

I don't know if you do this, but is there any chance we could talk by phone sometime?  Our profiles — starting businesses, making and losing fortunes. etc. — are pretty similar.  Right now, I need a kindred spirit to kick my ass and stop my pity party, and your writing suggests that you might be the guy to do it if you are willing.  I have nothing to offer but my gratitude and a promise to make join you cheerleading for the people who come to this site in need of hope.

Whether we get to talk or not, thanks for all the people you inspire every time you show up here.

JuleFL
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Congrats and keep up the good work ;-). I always enjoy your refreshing posts.
                                                                  Jule
                                                                    boot2aboot
                                                                    Participant

i like you Charlie…keep truckin'

boot2aboot
                                                                      Participant

i like you Charlie…keep truckin'

JuleFL
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Congrats and keep up the good work ;-). I always enjoy your refreshing posts.
                                                                        Jule
                                                                        NancyGM
                                                                        Participant

Hi Charlie, I have thought of you often lately… Thanks for all your help on my appeal…still fighting it…Wishing you all the hope and healing and miracles you may need now. Thanks for all the humor, wisdom and inspiration you have given so many of us! Nancy Mills

NancyGM
                                                                          Participant

Hi Charlie, I have thought of you often lately… Thanks for all your help on my appeal…still fighting it…Wishing you all the hope and healing and miracles you may need now. Thanks for all the humor, wisdom and inspiration you have given so many of us! Nancy Mills

JerryfromFauq
                                                                            Participant

Charlie  – three top things I want.

!.  That 24 change to a 42.

2. To be here to read it when you do!

3. for melanoma to be erradicated whe we post then!

Very proud to call you both a good man and a friend, even if we only agree on around 75% -80 %of things in general life,  (I still say it would be a boring world if everyone always agreed with me 100%.) 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                              Participant

Charlie  – three top things I want.

!.  That 24 change to a 42.

2. To be here to read it when you do!

3. for melanoma to be erradicated whe we post then!

Very proud to call you both a good man and a friend, even if we only agree on around 75% -80 %of things in general life,  (I still say it would be a boring world if everyone always agreed with me 100%.) 

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics