The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cancer is back after 2 mos of BRAF/MEK Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Cancer is back after 2 mos of BRAF/MEK Trial

Participant

When Eric began the BRAF/MEK combo we knew there was a chance that the Melanoma would find a different pathway and come back, unfortunately that seems to be what is happening. We just didn't expect it to happen so soon…

When Eric began the BRAF/MEK combo we knew there was a chance that the Melanoma would find a different pathway and come back, unfortunately that seems to be what is happening. We just didn't expect it to happen so soon… When Eric started the treatment his LDH level was very high and throughout the treatment is was dropping until 2 weeks ago…it's began to climb again and the level in his blood today was as high as it was when he first started the treatment.  Because of this and the changes in his leg, the Oncologist believe that the treatment is no longer working. Eric was pretty upset and asked to be left on for another week to give it a chance and the doctor agreed to do so. He had a clinical trial consultant come in and talk to us about starting another treatment. I will be spending a lot of time this week researching that as well as other options.

The new trial they are offering him is the Eisai E-7080 that I saw someone else post about on the forum. 

JillNEric in OH

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        o2bcheri
        Participant

i am just so sorry to hear this… i was so excited for you both..

how incredibly disappointing… praying that Eric can get on a new treatment that will really work for him..

Jill.. huge hugs….. prayers and hopes for Eric to win this battle…

much love and hope.

Michele

o2bcheri
          Participant

how incredibly disappointing… praying that Eric can get on a new treatment that will really work for him..

much love and hope.

Michele

o2bcheri
            Participant

much love and hope.

Michele

dawn dion
                Participant

Oh Jill,

I am so sad to hear the disappointing news for Eric – when we talked a few weeks back you where so excited about the progress.   Kind of scares me for myself also that this happened so fast for him – I know everyone is different  but gosh that is scary.   On the other hand I am glad to know that he can go on to the next trial – I had asked my Dr. about this trial if the B-RAF /MEK didn't work – she didn't know much about it at that time but at least now I know it is a trail I can chase if need be. 

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Hugs and Smiles.

Dawn

dawn dion
                  Participant

Oh Jill,

I am so sad to hear the disappointing news for Eric – when we talked a few weeks back you where so excited about the progress.   Kind of scares me for myself also that this happened so fast for him – I know everyone is different  but gosh that is scary.   On the other hand I am glad to know that he can go on to the next trial – I had asked my Dr. about this trial if the B-RAF /MEK didn't work – she didn't know much about it at that time but at least now I know it is a trail I can chase if need be. 

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Hugs and Smiles.

Dawn

o2bcheri
                  Participant

much love and hope.

Michele

BethA in VA
                    Participant

I am sorry for the set back.  You have both been so strong and the fight is not over.  I will continue to say a prayer for the next treatment decision to work better for you.  Stay positive and hang on to each other.  Prayers for both of you.  Beth 3/B 

BethA in VA
                      Participant

I am sorry for the set back.  You have both been so strong and the fight is not over.  I will continue to say a prayer for the next treatment decision to work better for you.  Stay positive and hang on to each other.  Prayers for both of you.  Beth 3/B 

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

Sorry to read about Eric's setback. The problem now seems to be that the
                          tumour load is influencing treatment effectiveness, making the melanoma more
                          aggressive. So, I feel that it is important to start on any treatment that
                          is available because this could be developing into a race against time. From
                          what I have seen, E7080 looks like a very good option.

Frank

EricNJill
                            Participant

I think you are right Frank.  From everything that I've read after the BRAF tumors become resistant to the inhibitor it then rages on. 

Thank you all for your kinds words. 

JillNEric in OH

EricNJill
                              Participant

I think you are right Frank.  From everything that I've read after the BRAF tumors become resistant to the inhibitor it then rages on. 

Thank you all for your kinds words. 

JillNEric in OH

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

Sorry to read about Eric's setback. The problem now seems to be that the
                                tumour load is influencing treatment effectiveness, making the melanoma more
                                aggressive. So, I feel that it is important to start on any treatment that
                                is available because this could be developing into a race against time. From
                                what I have seen, E7080 looks like a very good option.

Frank

Lori C
                                Participant

Jill, has Eric done ipi?  You mentioned he has some cardiac tumors.  Are there any other major organ involvement? 

Will's LDH was a huge problem.  It was, as Dr. Gajewski warned me, "a negative prognostic indicator".  We would go in 2 month cycles.  Something would work for 2 months and then the cancer would come back strong.   If this new trial seems like it holds some promise, I'd get started asap on it and make sure you get nutritional and other support to keep Eric as strong as possible during it.

Please know you are in my thoughts & prayers.  I so want you to have good news.

Lori C
                                  Participant

Jill, has Eric done ipi?  You mentioned he has some cardiac tumors.  Are there any other major organ involvement? 

Will's LDH was a huge problem.  It was, as Dr. Gajewski warned me, "a negative prognostic indicator".  We would go in 2 month cycles.  Something would work for 2 months and then the cancer would come back strong.   If this new trial seems like it holds some promise, I'd get started asap on it and make sure you get nutritional and other support to keep Eric as strong as possible during it.

Please know you are in my thoughts & prayers.  I so want you to have good news.

kim2712
                                    Participant

So sorry to hear about the setback. I saw that you are in OH, where is he being treated? My son is at Cleveland Clinic. His cancer has taken off like wildfire. It was confined to the lung and chest cavity and within 10 days had spread to the ribcage, diaphram, and liver. Because the tumor burdon is so heavy in the lung area he has not been able to start any treatment. fluid is filling at a rapid rate, so of course he has a chest tube in. This is such a scary aggressive cancer, I hate it.

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Dear Jill and Eric,

So sorry that the treatment that was working so well has become ineffective against the melanoma. I looked at the picture of the leg tumor, unbelievably huge…how long did it take for it to grow that big?? Almost overnight??

Wishing Eric success with the next treatment, and wishing you both continued hope and strength as you fight the beast.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

EricNJill
                                          Participant

It was like it just appeared but I hadn't been checking his leg regularly because things were going so well and Friday he said he wanted to show me a lump and my mouth dropped!  I noticed on his blood work on 3/22/11 that his LDH was climbing and he had scans on the 18th that showed he had increased enlarged nodes in/around the heart so I suspected that the Melanoma was back…

EricNJill
                                            Participant

It was like it just appeared but I hadn't been checking his leg regularly because things were going so well and Friday he said he wanted to show me a lump and my mouth dropped!  I noticed on his blood work on 3/22/11 that his LDH was climbing and he had scans on the 18th that showed he had increased enlarged nodes in/around the heart so I suspected that the Melanoma was back…

Vermont_Donna
                                              Participant

Dear Jill and Eric,

So sorry that the treatment that was working so well has become ineffective against the melanoma. I looked at the picture of the leg tumor, unbelievably huge…how long did it take for it to grow that big?? Almost overnight??

Wishing Eric success with the next treatment, and wishing you both continued hope and strength as you fight the beast.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

kim2712
                                              Participant

So sorry to hear about the setback. I saw that you are in OH, where is he being treated? My son is at Cleveland Clinic. His cancer has taken off like wildfire. It was confined to the lung and chest cavity and within 10 days had spread to the ribcage, diaphram, and liver. Because the tumor burdon is so heavy in the lung area he has not been able to start any treatment. fluid is filling at a rapid rate, so of course he has a chest tube in. This is such a scary aggressive cancer, I hate it.

JuleFL
                                                Participant
                                                  Jill and Eric,
                                                  I am so sorry and disappointed that melanoma has found a way around the inhibitors. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you pursue the next trial.

Jule

JuleFL
                                                  Participant
                                                    Jill and Eric,
                                                    I am so sorry and disappointed that melanoma has found a way around the inhibitors. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you pursue the next trial.

Jule

jag
                                                    Participant

Sorry to hear this Jill,

Good luck to you and Eric in your journey.

Praying for your strength.

John

jag
                                                      Participant

Sorry to hear this Jill,

Good luck to you and Eric in your journey.

Praying for your strength.

John

stillhopeful
                                                        Participant

Sorry it happened so quickly!  E7080 is a phase II trial.  It is also a pathway inhibitor, and I think it has something to do with blocking the blood vessels that feed tumors.  While it's probably not a permanent solution, I hope it buys you more than 2 months. There is much research happening in the melanoma field, so there might be better drugs available later.

I just started E7080 yesterday.  I am BRAF and NRAS negative, so it's nice to have an inhibitor available to me.

Good luck with your decision!

stillhopeful
                                                          Participant

Sorry it happened so quickly!  E7080 is a phase II trial.  It is also a pathway inhibitor, and I think it has something to do with blocking the blood vessels that feed tumors.  While it's probably not a permanent solution, I hope it buys you more than 2 months. There is much research happening in the melanoma field, so there might be better drugs available later.

I just started E7080 yesterday.  I am BRAF and NRAS negative, so it's nice to have an inhibitor available to me.

Good luck with your decision!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics