The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cancer diet and SLN question

Forums General Melanoma Community Cancer diet and SLN question

Participant

Hey what's up,

I have been looking around for a cancer "hostile" diet but have found alot that had their own agendas or seemed less than reputable. I have had cursory discussions with my doctor but I figure you guys could point me to a website that would have the info I need. Also I'm waiting for the results of my SLN biopsy, the surgeon said the lymph nodes looked normal but he could not say what was happening at a cellular level. Has anyone had normal looking lymph nodes that turned out to be cancerous? Just curious. 

Hey what's up,

I have been looking around for a cancer "hostile" diet but have found alot that had their own agendas or seemed less than reputable. I have had cursory discussions with my doctor but I figure you guys could point me to a website that would have the info I need. Also I'm waiting for the results of my SLN biopsy, the surgeon said the lymph nodes looked normal but he could not say what was happening at a cellular level. Has anyone had normal looking lymph nodes that turned out to be cancerous? Just curious. 

Gtown 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

"Normal" looking lymph nodes is a good sign but no guarantee.  It certainly does not rule out microscopic amounts of cancer that might have made it to the lymph nodes nor for that matter even slightly larger amounts.  However, that being said it still is very positive.

You can do a search on this site and find many discussions either on supplements or diets.  I think most tend toward a well balanced diet avoiding sugar and red meat.  I think the most popular supplements are D3 and Turmeric. 

Lisa13
            Participant

I've been seeing a naturopath since I was diagnosed earlier this year.  These are the vitamins and supplements I take and some have been proven in labs to work specifically with melanoma. I really wish oncologusts and naturopaths would work together so that we're combining modern medicine and traditional naturopath medicine.

Curcumin (melanoma)

Melatonin (melanoma)

Omega 3

Vitamin D

Green Tea Extract (immune booster)

IP6/Inositol (speeds up the growth of cancer fighting T cells)

Progressive Greens Drink

Multi (with no iron or cooper)

Vitamin C

As for diet, sugar and red meat are to be avoided as well as dairy (unless it's organic). I believe everything should be eaten in moderation, but it's good to eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies  and as much as organic as possible. Anything with nitrates are bad too (hotdogs, deli meats and bacon).

Best of luck to you,

Lisa

Lisa13
              Participant

Also, normal looking lymph nodes could have cancer in them (microscopic).  They will need to look at it under a microscope and go through a staining procedure to be sure.  Don't let your mind think that there is cancer in your lymph nodes.  🙂

Lisa

Lisa13
                Participant

Also, normal looking lymph nodes could have cancer in them (microscopic).  They will need to look at it under a microscope and go through a staining procedure to be sure.  Don't let your mind think that there is cancer in your lymph nodes.  🙂

Lisa

dawn dion
                  Participant

Hey Lisa

We discussed the Melatonin in the past – how quickly did they tell you increase your dosage?

thanks for the info

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

dawn dion
                    Participant

Hey Lisa

We discussed the Melatonin in the past – how quickly did they tell you increase your dosage?

thanks for the info

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

Lisa13
                      Participant

Hi Dawn,

I only made it to 6mg as it made me feel to "woozy". It's suggested to start with 3mg and slowly work your way up to 20mg, or at least to where you're comfortable. There is alot of benefit taking 20mg from what I've read and heard from my naturopath. 

Another pretty amazing herb is curcumin. Lab studies have shown the more curcumin added to melanoma cells, the more cells died. They are even conducting these labs at Dana Farber, so that says something.

dawn dion
                        Participant

I have heard that also – thanks for the info.   How are you feeling?

dawn dion
                          Participant

I have heard that also – thanks for the info.   How are you feeling?

Lisa13
                            Participant

Hi Dawn,

I only made it to 6mg as it made me feel to "woozy". It's suggested to start with 3mg and slowly work your way up to 20mg, or at least to where you're comfortable. There is alot of benefit taking 20mg from what I've read and heard from my naturopath. 

Another pretty amazing herb is curcumin. Lab studies have shown the more curcumin added to melanoma cells, the more cells died. They are even conducting these labs at Dana Farber, so that says something.

Lisa13
                              Participant

I've been seeing a naturopath since I was diagnosed earlier this year.  These are the vitamins and supplements I take and some have been proven in labs to work specifically with melanoma. I really wish oncologusts and naturopaths would work together so that we're combining modern medicine and traditional naturopath medicine.

Curcumin (melanoma)

Melatonin (melanoma)

Omega 3

Vitamin D

Green Tea Extract (immune booster)

IP6/Inositol (speeds up the growth of cancer fighting T cells)

Progressive Greens Drink

Multi (with no iron or cooper)

Vitamin C

As for diet, sugar and red meat are to be avoided as well as dairy (unless it's organic). I believe everything should be eaten in moderation, but it's good to eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies  and as much as organic as possible. Anything with nitrates are bad too (hotdogs, deli meats and bacon).

Best of luck to you,

Lisa

washoegal
                              Participant

"Normal" looking lymph nodes is a good sign but no guarantee.  It certainly does not rule out microscopic amounts of cancer that might have made it to the lymph nodes nor for that matter even slightly larger amounts.  However, that being said it still is very positive.

You can do a search on this site and find many discussions either on supplements or diets.  I think most tend toward a well balanced diet avoiding sugar and red meat.  I think the most popular supplements are D3 and Turmeric. 

jimjoeb
                                Participant

Unfortunately, very normal looking lymph nodes can have cancer. I learned last week about the results of my WLE and SLNB biopsies. Unfortunately, everything was negative except microscopic melanoma in the primary sentinel node.

I hope that you have completely different results!!!!

My family doctor suggested a book by Dr. Richard Beliveau. Here is the link to his web site:

boot2aboot
                                    Participant

Hi, i go to Sandy Pinkham who is an MD and naturopathic and she has me on this protocol:

6 small meals a day and 10 minutes of cardiac coherance training along with 3 min of gratitude

protein for every meal

quercitin

berberine

every meal must include either broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage or cauliflower

squash or sweet potato daily

green tea

vit c with potassium (emergenc C)

vit e succinate

fish oils

magnesium

vit d (up to 3000 units now)

revesterol

TracyLee
                                      Participant

I would love to follow this type of diet, BUT I'm feeding seven of us on $450 a MONTH. I just cannot manage all the fresh fruits/vegetables with the kids inhaling everything two minutes after I bring it in the house!

Any suggestions on how to save? I wanted to try a small garden, but my husband will spend hundreds just to set it up. All I want is a container or two, for some fresh veggies!

My mom is stage IV, stable. She's on a very similar path as you, but knows how pricey it can all get.

It's so frustrating…

nicoli
                                        Participant

I totally relate to the price issue. I also have irritable bowel syndrome and can't eat very many kinds of fruits or veggies.

Having read several books on anti-cancer diets, I have come up with what I think are the basics.

Have either cabbabe, cauliflower or broccoli almost every day. Cabbabe cole slaw is cheap  to make (I just use bottled dressing and raisins or dried cranberries). HIde the cranberries, they can be pricey. Hopefully the kids don't even like cole slaw.

Green or black tea is important. Black has the very same antioxidents as green but just hasn't gotten the press green has. Either cold or hot, several cups each day.

If you drink (I don't), Pinot Noir red wine is very anti-cancer. But just 4oz per day, more than that can actually cause some types of cancer.

Vitamin D3. I asked a cancer survivor group what they thought was the most important supplement and they all said "D3. And It's not expensive, maybe $10 per month.

Just eat the fruits and veggies you can. There is no proof that food can cure cancer, but it may help to keep it away in the first place.

Pray every day. Laugh every day. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine. Look up "cancer t-shirts" online and laugh your head off. Check out Tim Hawkins on YouTube or GodTube. Laugh.

Nicki, stage 3b, scalp

nicoli
                                          Participant

I totally relate to the price issue. I also have irritable bowel syndrome and can't eat very many kinds of fruits or veggies.

Having read several books on anti-cancer diets, I have come up with what I think are the basics.

Have either cabbabe, cauliflower or broccoli almost every day. Cabbabe cole slaw is cheap  to make (I just use bottled dressing and raisins or dried cranberries). HIde the cranberries, they can be pricey. Hopefully the kids don't even like cole slaw.

Green or black tea is important. Black has the very same antioxidents as green but just hasn't gotten the press green has. Either cold or hot, several cups each day.

If you drink (I don't), Pinot Noir red wine is very anti-cancer. But just 4oz per day, more than that can actually cause some types of cancer.

Vitamin D3. I asked a cancer survivor group what they thought was the most important supplement and they all said "D3. And It's not expensive, maybe $10 per month.

Just eat the fruits and veggies you can. There is no proof that food can cure cancer, but it may help to keep it away in the first place.

Pray every day. Laugh every day. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine. Look up "cancer t-shirts" online and laugh your head off. Check out Tim Hawkins on YouTube or GodTube. Laugh.

Nicki, stage 3b, scalp

TracyLee
                                            Participant

I would love to follow this type of diet, BUT I'm feeding seven of us on $450 a MONTH. I just cannot manage all the fresh fruits/vegetables with the kids inhaling everything two minutes after I bring it in the house!

Any suggestions on how to save? I wanted to try a small garden, but my husband will spend hundreds just to set it up. All I want is a container or two, for some fresh veggies!

My mom is stage IV, stable. She's on a very similar path as you, but knows how pricey it can all get.

It's so frustrating…

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Tonight there is free teleseminar

on nutrition…  Enjoy,Gene

——– from my email ————–

Liliana Partida is one of the best
                                                nutritionist I have ever met.

(yes, I actually met her in California)

We'll talk about diet, disease prevention
                                                AND reversal, the best foods to eat,
                                                supplements plus much more! 

Join us by calling the number below:

Date:           Thursday – May 26, 2011

Time:           6 pm (PST) / 9 pm (EST)

Call-In #:      760-569-7676

Access Code: 815676#

Talk soon, 
                                                Jonathan Landsman, Host
                                                NaturalNews Talk Hour

P.S.  If the (above) call-in number is busy…

Redial (using our "backup phone number")

Call: 805-360-1075, then enter: 760-569-7676#,
                                                then enter – access code: 815676#

P.P.S.  If you still have trouble connecting…

Call our customer service at 1-877-482-5838.

Gene_S
                                                Participant

Tonight there is free teleseminar

on nutrition…  Enjoy,Gene

——– from my email ————–

Liliana Partida is one of the best
                                                  nutritionist I have ever met.

(yes, I actually met her in California)

We'll talk about diet, disease prevention
                                                  AND reversal, the best foods to eat,
                                                  supplements plus much more! 

Join us by calling the number below:

Date:           Thursday – May 26, 2011

Time:           6 pm (PST) / 9 pm (EST)

Call-In #:      760-569-7676

Access Code: 815676#

Talk soon, 
                                                  Jonathan Landsman, Host
                                                  NaturalNews Talk Hour

P.S.  If the (above) call-in number is busy…

Redial (using our "backup phone number")

Call: 805-360-1075, then enter: 760-569-7676#,
                                                  then enter – access code: 815676#

P.P.S.  If you still have trouble connecting…

Call our customer service at 1-877-482-5838.

boot2aboot
                                                  Participant

Hi, i go to Sandy Pinkham who is an MD and naturopathic and she has me on this protocol:

6 small meals a day and 10 minutes of cardiac coherance training along with 3 min of gratitude

protein for every meal

quercitin

berberine

every meal must include either broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage or cauliflower

squash or sweet potato daily

green tea

vit c with potassium (emergenc C)

vit e succinate

fish oils

magnesium

vit d (up to 3000 units now)

revesterol

jimjoeb
                                                  Participant

Unfortunately, very normal looking lymph nodes can have cancer. I learned last week about the results of my WLE and SLNB biopsies. Unfortunately, everything was negative except microscopic melanoma in the primary sentinel node.

I hope that you have completely different results!!!!

My family doctor suggested a book by Dr. Richard Beliveau. Here is the link to his web site:

dian in spokane
                                                    Participant

like others, I take vitamin D3 and Tumeric.

But.. there's a famous 'anti cancer' diet out there in the world.

the author's name is Young..robert young maybe, just Google "PH Diet"

I had the book a long time ago, but couldn't follow the diet. hell.. I can't follow ANY kind of diet <G>

dian in spokane
                                                      Participant

like others, I take vitamin D3 and Tumeric.

But.. there's a famous 'anti cancer' diet out there in the world.

the author's name is Young..robert young maybe, just Google "PH Diet"

I had the book a long time ago, but couldn't follow the diet. hell.. I can't follow ANY kind of diet <G>

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics