The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can you get emotional over a skin graft?

Forums General Melanoma Community Can you get emotional over a skin graft?

Participant

For some reason I am overwhelmed with my skin graft it is causing me to cry just looking at it… I know it sounds weird but it just does it to me .. I'm not sure of this has happened to anyone else? Or maybe I am the only one who thinks it looks very disfiguring… It's only been two weeks of healing and it just looks so horrible and looks so deep ! and I can't help but cry when I see it! Is it stupid to get counseling for it? Do I need it? Please tell me how you delt with it! Thanks❤️

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHD
        Participant

I had a vulvectomy with my melanoma so I do understand about disfiguring.  That is not, in any way, to say that my experience is worse!  Anything that feels disfiguring is hard.  It has taken me a long time but I have come to view my vulvectomy as a "battle scar."  I am a melanoma survivor and this is what it took to get me here.  I don't know if that will help you, but it has helped me.  Hang in there.  It really is hard, and we all come to terms with our scars as best as we can.  You are not alone!

CHD
          Participant

I had a vulvectomy with my melanoma so I do understand about disfiguring.  That is not, in any way, to say that my experience is worse!  Anything that feels disfiguring is hard.  It has taken me a long time but I have come to view my vulvectomy as a "battle scar."  I am a melanoma survivor and this is what it took to get me here.  I don't know if that will help you, but it has helped me.  Hang in there.  It really is hard, and we all come to terms with our scars as best as we can.  You are not alone!

CHD
            Participant

Cynthia C
              Participant

Yes, I think you can get emotional over your surgery site. My melanoma was on the outside of my lower leg and I recall being slightly horrified at what looked like a shark bite on my leg. I did not get a skin graft and they pulled it so tight to close it, my whole leg was tweaked. The scar then started to resemble a canoe. I know it is hard to believe right now but time will do amazing things to heal your scar area. I did not need counseling to deal with this but I assure you no one will think it is stupid or foolish if you feel you need counseling.

Cynthia C

IIIb, 13 years and 10 months NED!

Cynthia C
                Participant

Yes, I think you can get emotional over your surgery site. My melanoma was on the outside of my lower leg and I recall being slightly horrified at what looked like a shark bite on my leg. I did not get a skin graft and they pulled it so tight to close it, my whole leg was tweaked. The scar then started to resemble a canoe. I know it is hard to believe right now but time will do amazing things to heal your scar area. I did not need counseling to deal with this but I assure you no one will think it is stupid or foolish if you feel you need counseling.

Cynthia C

Treadlightly
                    Participant

Hello again…What you have been through has been rough. Being human you should certainly allow yourself to feel the full range of emotions that you are experiencing. Counseling or support groups could totally help. For me, I relied a lot on this site for support…same as you.

I can tell you that the healing process is slow and at times it feels like it is never going to get to a point that is presentable…but the human body has the most miraculous ability to heal itself. You will definitely be surprised how good it will look when it is all completely healed.

With my scar…it is totally noticeable, but I don't think many actually do notice it. First, because it is on my heel, so it is covered up most of the time. Second, when I am barefoot, I have noticed that people tend to look at my toes, more than my heel. I am not sure where on your leg your graft is, or how big it is, but it will likely be covered up a lot of the time. Also, you are currently very focuses on it, so it seems like the Grand Canyon to you…but to everyone else it might only look like a little dimple. And dimples are cute…right?

Hang in there…and remember how lucky you are to have the dreaded Melanoma beast out of your body. You are strong and you can and will get through this.

Take care,

Mark from California (2A…4 years & 3 months NED)

Treadlightly
                      Participant

Hello again…What you have been through has been rough. Being human you should certainly allow yourself to feel the full range of emotions that you are experiencing. Counseling or support groups could totally help. For me, I relied a lot on this site for support…same as you.

I can tell you that the healing process is slow and at times it feels like it is never going to get to a point that is presentable…but the human body has the most miraculous ability to heal itself. You will definitely be surprised how good it will look when it is all completely healed.

With my scar…it is totally noticeable, but I don't think many actually do notice it. First, because it is on my heel, so it is covered up most of the time. Second, when I am barefoot, I have noticed that people tend to look at my toes, more than my heel. I am not sure where on your leg your graft is, or how big it is, but it will likely be covered up a lot of the time. Also, you are currently very focuses on it, so it seems like the Grand Canyon to you…but to everyone else it might only look like a little dimple. And dimples are cute…right?

Hang in there…and remember how lucky you are to have the dreaded Melanoma beast out of your body. You are strong and you can and will get through this.

Take care,

Treadlightly
                        Participant

Take care,

Cynthia C
                        Participant

Cynthia C

Janner
                          Participant

You've said this is your first surgery.  Unfortunately, you learn with experience that things often look extremely ugly while healing.  But… heal they do and most of the time they heal amazingly well.  There are very few surgery scars that are going to look remotely presentable at 2 weeks.  So yes, it is fine to be a little overwhelmed, but those of us who've had a few more surgeries under our belt know that things will continue to get better for you.  Patience and time are your best friends here.  Wish we were really in the age of Star Trek where you could just run some magic device over the wound and it would heal immediately!

Janner
                            Participant

You've said this is your first surgery.  Unfortunately, you learn with experience that things often look extremely ugly while healing.  But… heal they do and most of the time they heal amazingly well.  There are very few surgery scars that are going to look remotely presentable at 2 weeks.  So yes, it is fine to be a little overwhelmed, but those of us who've had a few more surgeries under our belt know that things will continue to get better for you.  Patience and time are your best friends here.  Wish we were really in the age of Star Trek where you could just run some magic device over the wound and it would heal immediately!

Janner
                              Participant

Momrn5
                                Participant

At the age of 52, never having a scar, and now with 2 very long scars on my left thigh, even that was hard for me to get over.  I cried. A lot. And I am not a crier. You are young and have had a skin graft. There is a very definite change in your body and how it looks. It's gonna probably make most people cry.  That's normal. You are normal.  As it heals, it may start to look better.  And you will get more used to seeing it.  I read an article about a man who is a photographer and he works exclusively with people who have had disfiguring surgeries, he photographs their scars.  They are battle scars. It shows that these people fought and lived. You will come to a point in your healing, ( it may take a while) where you will begin to accept your new normal body image.  It sucks and it's not fun.  And no, it's not stupid to get counseling for how you are feeling. You have been through a lot, sometimes people need a little assistance to get over the hump.  Best wishes to you.  🙂

Momrn5
                                  Participant

At the age of 52, never having a scar, and now with 2 very long scars on my left thigh, even that was hard for me to get over.  I cried. A lot. And I am not a crier. You are young and have had a skin graft. There is a very definite change in your body and how it looks. It's gonna probably make most people cry.  That's normal. You are normal.  As it heals, it may start to look better.  And you will get more used to seeing it.  I read an article about a man who is a photographer and he works exclusively with people who have had disfiguring surgeries, he photographs their scars.  They are battle scars. It shows that these people fought and lived. You will come to a point in your healing, ( it may take a while) where you will begin to accept your new normal body image.  It sucks and it's not fun.  And no, it's not stupid to get counseling for how you are feeling. You have been through a lot, sometimes people need a little assistance to get over the hump.  Best wishes to you.  🙂

Momrn5
                                    Participant

Kmiles
                                      Participant

I am slightly upset about my body at this point.  I was never going to be a model or run round in the buff but I didn't necessary want to look worse than I did.  I feel like a science experience  gone wrong!  What really freaks me out is I'm pretty early in this.  I think we are who we are and sometime we have to allow ourselves to face the facts that thus is shocking to us.  Sending hugs to all of us!  

Kmiles
                                        Participant

I am slightly upset about my body at this point.  I was never going to be a model or run round in the buff but I didn't necessary want to look worse than I did.  I feel like a science experience  gone wrong!  What really freaks me out is I'm pretty early in this.  I think we are who we are and sometime we have to allow ourselves to face the facts that thus is shocking to us.  Sending hugs to all of us!  

Kmiles
                                          Participant

SABKLYN
                                            Participant

Like the first responder I look at it as a marker related to the positive steps I've taken to get myself well.  THe scar and the associated numbness is what reminds me that I am on the path to putting this behind me.  To Janner's point, over time, this will heal and with a little luck, this will be the extent of what you have to deal with. In addition to my excision, sentinel node biopsy and CLND I've had a broken femur, pin insertion and removal as well as a hip replacement (not the skier I thought I was !!!!).  I kind of look at the scars as organic tattoos, chronicling my challenges.

Hang in there!

SABKLYN
                                              Participant

Like the first responder I look at it as a marker related to the positive steps I've taken to get myself well.  THe scar and the associated numbness is what reminds me that I am on the path to putting this behind me.  To Janner's point, over time, this will heal and with a little luck, this will be the extent of what you have to deal with. In addition to my excision, sentinel node biopsy and CLND I've had a broken femur, pin insertion and removal as well as a hip replacement (not the skier I thought I was !!!!).  I kind of look at the scars as organic tattoos, chronicling my challenges.

Hang in there!

SABKLYN
                                                Participant

Hang in there!

Jsneathen21
                                                    Participant

That is very true .. I just can't get over why it's so hard for me right now …:/ my surgeon told me it was normal to have the kind of anxiety I am having…

Jsneathen21
                                                      Participant

That is very true .. I just can't get over why it's so hard for me right now …:/ my surgeon told me it was normal to have the kind of anxiety I am having…

Jsneathen21
                                                        Participant

kpcollins31
                                                        Participant

It is tough at first but it gets better over time. My WLE and graft was on the outer part of my left forearm. I remember going into the plastic surgeon's office to have the bandage removed for the first time – I remember him saying how great it was healing and all I could think was I would never be able to wear short sleeves again as it was completely hideous.

Now I wear short sleeves most of the time. Sometimes people see the arm and ask what happened there… when I tell them about the melanoma, most of them comment that they need to go get checked or force their husbands/wives to go get checked because they have something suspicious. It is like wearing a public service announcement – if it helps anyone, then great. Stay positive as it will get better.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                          Participant

It is tough at first but it gets better over time. My WLE and graft was on the outer part of my left forearm. I remember going into the plastic surgeon's office to have the bandage removed for the first time – I remember him saying how great it was healing and all I could think was I would never be able to wear short sleeves again as it was completely hideous.

Now I wear short sleeves most of the time. Sometimes people see the arm and ask what happened there… when I tell them about the melanoma, most of them comment that they need to go get checked or force their husbands/wives to go get checked because they have something suspicious. It is like wearing a public service announcement – if it helps anyone, then great. Stay positive as it will get better.

Kevin

Jsneathen21
                                                              Participant

Mine is on my front lower left shin! Yea it is def like a public service announcement even right now… While in the wheel chair there's always those people what happened!??? Lol I tell them my story that's for sure… I know my leg won't ever look the same but I can always scare the girls that go tanning next door to my work! I'm sure that scar will scare them enough to stop!!!

Jsneathen21
                                                                Participant

Mine is on my front lower left shin! Yea it is def like a public service announcement even right now… While in the wheel chair there's always those people what happened!??? Lol I tell them my story that's for sure… I know my leg won't ever look the same but I can always scare the girls that go tanning next door to my work! I'm sure that scar will scare them enough to stop!!!

Jsneathen21
                                                                  Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                  Participant

Kevin

amelanomajourney
                                                                    Participant

Time definitely helps – don't worry!

I have a post about my experience and photos from a year later on my blog: amelanomajourney.wordpress.com

amelanomajourney
                                                                      Participant

I have a post about my experience and photos from a year later on my blog: amelanomajourney.wordpress.com

amelanomajourney
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics