The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CA bans tanning bed use by minors!

Forums General Melanoma Community CA bans tanning bed use by minors!

• Replies
      Cooper
      Participant

I wish this would have a positive affect but alas there are two major problems.  One is that they will require written permission by parents, how many kids do you know will forge their parents signature.  Second, many parents take their kids to the tanning salon with them, it is a bonding time.  And the biggest problem with the legislature is there will be NO ONE to enforce it and that's why it failed in other states.  The police won't do it, the health dept wont' do it, no one cares really.  So it looks good on paper but the reality is it won't prevent the kids from tanning.

MichaelFL
          Participant

Sign what? No one under 18 is allowed. And, how do you bond when the booths are separate? And, California was the first, so what other states has it failed in?

Did you even read one word of the article?

MichaelFL
            Participant

Sign what? No one under 18 is allowed. And, how do you bond when the booths are separate? And, California was the first, so what other states has it failed in?

MichaelFL
              Participant

Joan C
                Participant

I agree it is a big step in the right direction!  THe first person to reply obviously did not read the post.  Yes, there may be limited means to enforce this, but I would hope that tanning salon operators would not blatantly break the law and allow teens to enter.

I hope other legislatures take notice of this.  I just wish it had gotten more press!

Joan C
                  Participant

I agree it is a big step in the right direction!  THe first person to reply obviously did not read the post.  Yes, there may be limited means to enforce this, but I would hope that tanning salon operators would not blatantly break the law and allow teens to enter.

I hope other legislatures take notice of this.  I just wish it had gotten more press!

Joan C
                    Participant

Donna
                      Participant

Joan, I have to disagree on the amount of press this bill has received … especially over a holiday weekend. I was even interviewed this morning by our local TV station about my opinion of  this new law and I live in TX. This was HUGE for the state of CA and for everyone in the US!! The medical community and the melanoma community should be celebrating this victory big time!

Donna
                        Participant

Joan, I have to disagree on the amount of press this bill has received … especially over a holiday weekend. I was even interviewed this morning by our local TV station about my opinion of  this new law and I live in TX. This was HUGE for the state of CA and for everyone in the US!! The medical community and the melanoma community should be celebrating this victory big time!

Donna
                          Participant

Cooper
                          Participant

I wish this would have a positive affect but alas there are two major problems.  One is that they will require written permission by parents, how many kids do you know will forge their parents signature.  Second, many parents take their kids to the tanning salon with them, it is a bonding time.  And the biggest problem with the legislature is there will be NO ONE to enforce it and that's why it failed in other states.  The police won't do it, the health dept wont' do it, no one cares really.  So it looks good on paper but the reality is it won't prevent the kids from tanning.

Cooper
                            Participant

jax2007gxp
                              Participant

I am thrilled by the news!  CA law was that parental permission would allow 14 to 18 year olds to tan but this new law prhibits anyone under the age of 18…period!  As for enforcement, the bill defines the act of allowing a minor to tan to be a crime.  Personally, I will take it upon myself to report a tanning location if I witness such behavior and/or know of a minor who is tanning.  For me, failing to report such a crime is no better than failing to report a convenience store selling alcohol to minors.

It may be a small step, but at least it is a step forward!

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                                Participant

I am thrilled by the news!  CA law was that parental permission would allow 14 to 18 year olds to tan but this new law prhibits anyone under the age of 18…period!  As for enforcement, the bill defines the act of allowing a minor to tan to be a crime.  Personally, I will take it upon myself to report a tanning location if I witness such behavior and/or know of a minor who is tanning.  For me, failing to report such a crime is no better than failing to report a convenience store selling alcohol to minors.

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                                  Participant

Jacki

bcl
                                    Participant

Fantastic News Joan!!!

May it sweep the nation:)

bcl
                                      Participant

Fantastic News Joan!!!

bcl
                                        Participant

Fantastic News Joan!!!

Donna
                                            Participant

Trust me, it will sweep the nation! This California bill was a huge step … and now AIM at Melanoma can concentrate on the other 49. It will happen … and is already in the works. It will not be easy and hope everyone will help … but it will happen! Kudos to California for being the first!

Donna R (Jaime's mom)

bcl
                                              Participant

I trust you Donna:)   As you know, earlier this year Nova Scotia was the first province in Canada to establish a ban ( their age of majority is 19 and their ban targets all minors under the age of 19)  And here in BC, at the opposite side of the country, we are gaining ground now that our gov has announced they are listening to the municipalities. ( Since that announcement, the municipalities have met as a group to vote on various resolutions  -and the teen tan ban resolution passed with a significant majority!)  So now we wait, but only for so long – the rest of Canada awaits!!)

I'm sending you an email about Texas.. you may find it helpful. Thanks for the inspiration Donna!!!! Cheers, linda

bcl
                                                Participant

I trust you Donna:)   As you know, earlier this year Nova Scotia was the first province in Canada to establish a ban ( their age of majority is 19 and their ban targets all minors under the age of 19)  And here in BC, at the opposite side of the country, we are gaining ground now that our gov has announced they are listening to the municipalities. ( Since that announcement, the municipalities have met as a group to vote on various resolutions  -and the teen tan ban resolution passed with a significant majority!)  So now we wait, but only for so long – the rest of Canada awaits!!)

I'm sending you an email about Texas.. you may find it helpful. Thanks for the inspiration Donna!!!! Cheers, linda

Donna
                                                  Participant

Thanks, Linda! I have heard good things about what you are doing there in Canada. Keep fighting!

I have not gotten your email so please resend. I'm looking forward to getting it because your emails are always really interesting!!

bcl
                                                    Participant

Thanks Donna! I just sent the info – and I think it's real interesting this time:)

bcl
                                                      Participant

Thanks Donna! I just sent the info – and I think it's real interesting this time:)

bcl
                                                        Participant

Donna
                                                          Participant

Thanks, Linda! I have heard good things about what you are doing there in Canada. Keep fighting!

I have not gotten your email so please resend. I'm looking forward to getting it because your emails are always really interesting!!

Donna
                                                            Participant

bcl
                                                              Participant

Donna
                                                                Participant

Trust me, it will sweep the nation! This California bill was a huge step … and now AIM at Melanoma can concentrate on the other 49. It will happen … and is already in the works. It will not be easy and hope everyone will help … but it will happen! Kudos to California for being the first!

Donna R (Jaime's mom)

Donna
                                                                  Participant

Donna R (Jaime's mom)

Donna M.
                                                                  Participant

This is GREAT news!  WGN-TV has included this new legislation in the news this AM.  I'm sending letters to my reps and senators to get going on Illinois!

Donna M.
                                                                    Participant

This is GREAT news!  WGN-TV has included this new legislation in the news this AM.  I'm sending letters to my reps and senators to get going on Illinois!

Donna M.
                                                                      Participant

CKasper
                                                                        Participant

What California should have done is banned tanning beds, period.  If a teen wants to tan, they will find a way.

In this economy, businesses need money….let's see how many of them will turn away a buck or two. 

After all they are in the "Tanning Business"  They obviously are irresponsible and do not believe you

can get skin cancer from Tanning. 

Cooper
                                                                            Participant

Absolutely, this is all about money and owners won't care.  It only takes a few thousand dollars to open up a tanning salon.  In depressed areas of the country it is a way to make a living.  Far more important than the teening leg. is California's new ban on open display of a firearm.  They have much bigger issues in Ca. with crime than tanning.  Teens will do it if they want, just like smoking and drinking.  What works best is not to legislate, but to influence one by one.  Do a prom pledge program (think MIF has one) where you can make a difference in teaching kids and their parents that tanning is dangerous to their health.

Cooper
                                                                              Participant

Absolutely, this is all about money and owners won't care.  It only takes a few thousand dollars to open up a tanning salon.  In depressed areas of the country it is a way to make a living.  Far more important than the teening leg. is California's new ban on open display of a firearm.  They have much bigger issues in Ca. with crime than tanning.  Teens will do it if they want, just like smoking and drinking.  What works best is not to legislate, but to influence one by one.  Do a prom pledge program (think MIF has one) where you can make a difference in teaching kids and their parents that tanning is dangerous to their health.

Cooper
                                                                                Participant

Donna
                                                                                  Participant

You might think that educating the kids and parents about the dangers of tanning would work … but it obviously is not doing the job. We currently have rising rates of melanoma in young women, same age group that frequents tanning beds. If parental permission worked, if they knew the facts, they would never permit their child near a tanning bed … yet millions of teens are tanning. I believe that those organizations should continue their efforts to educate, but legislation is a necessary part. By passing this legislation, we are sending the message that tanning beds are a serious threat to human life. The news from CA is spreading all over this country and the world … people are talking about it and thinking about it. One of the Indoor Tanning Association's chants is "If tanning beds were bad for you, the FDA would not allow them." And I agree that the FDA is sending a bad message. They had hearings on this subject a couple years ago and said they would "soon" be banning minors from using tanning beds. When I asked how soon "soon" was, they ignored my question. So instead, for now each state is left to do their own thing, to do the research, shift through the facts, hear testimony from the medical and melanoma communities, to decide what is best for their kids. It is unfortunate that legislation is necessary … but it is and I will not rest until all 50 have tan bans in place.

Cooper
                                                                                    Participant

Only problem with making laws is getting someone to enforce them.  Who is going to visit the tanning salons now to make sure there are no minors in them?  I've been part of this movement and seen firsthand what states do, and don't do.  The legislation buzz lasts a little while and then the practice will continue because there is no one to go to the tanning salon and bust them.  And, here's the kicker, many tanning salons are managed by teens, that is who runs the places.  Do you think they will turn down their peers?  Nope, the legislation is unfortunately a waste of time with a small window of exposure.  And the FDA won't shut them down either.  It is back to peer pressure, like smoking and drinking that will be the key.

Cooper
                                                                                      Participant

Only problem with making laws is getting someone to enforce them.  Who is going to visit the tanning salons now to make sure there are no minors in them?  I've been part of this movement and seen firsthand what states do, and don't do.  The legislation buzz lasts a little while and then the practice will continue because there is no one to go to the tanning salon and bust them.  And, here's the kicker, many tanning salons are managed by teens, that is who runs the places.  Do you think they will turn down their peers?  Nope, the legislation is unfortunately a waste of time with a small window of exposure.  And the FDA won't shut them down either.  It is back to peer pressure, like smoking and drinking that will be the key.

Cooper
                                                                                        Participant

bcl
                                                                                          Participant

I believe we are looking for a generational shift here.  And laws like these (protecting children from making adult decisions)  will make people pay more attention to the the public messaging, whether it be about safety or vanity.  In the mean time,  having gov note that this activity is illegal for children will send a message of support to our youth who are trying to resist peer pressure.  I have been talking to some young friends who have pale pale skin… they tell me (in whispers) about how they are harassed in school because of their appearance.  (Same thing happened to me over 30 years ago.) The good news is these kids feel our local ban will help them. They are grateful to be given a tool to fight back with.

As for enforcing the new regulations, I think we will need to monitor for effectiveness, and apply stiff fines for non compliance. Obviously strategies for success should be built in from the get go- but it is possible to address this later..  never give up I say- but I have only been at this for three years, so perhaps I am too pollyanna for you:)  

bcl
                                                                                            Participant

I believe we are looking for a generational shift here.  And laws like these (protecting children from making adult decisions)  will make people pay more attention to the the public messaging, whether it be about safety or vanity.  In the mean time,  having gov note that this activity is illegal for children will send a message of support to our youth who are trying to resist peer pressure.  I have been talking to some young friends who have pale pale skin… they tell me (in whispers) about how they are harassed in school because of their appearance.  (Same thing happened to me over 30 years ago.) The good news is these kids feel our local ban will help them. They are grateful to be given a tool to fight back with.

As for enforcing the new regulations, I think we will need to monitor for effectiveness, and apply stiff fines for non compliance. Obviously strategies for success should be built in from the get go- but it is possible to address this later..  never give up I say- but I have only been at this for three years, so perhaps I am too pollyanna for you:)  

bcl
                                                                                              Participant

Donna
                                                                                                Participant

You might think that educating the kids and parents about the dangers of tanning would work … but it obviously is not doing the job. We currently have rising rates of melanoma in young women, same age group that frequents tanning beds. If parental permission worked, if they knew the facts, they would never permit their child near a tanning bed … yet millions of teens are tanning. I believe that those organizations should continue their efforts to educate, but legislation is a necessary part. By passing this legislation, we are sending the message that tanning beds are a serious threat to human life. The news from CA is spreading all over this country and the world … people are talking about it and thinking about it. One of the Indoor Tanning Association's chants is "If tanning beds were bad for you, the FDA would not allow them." And I agree that the FDA is sending a bad message. They had hearings on this subject a couple years ago and said they would "soon" be banning minors from using tanning beds. When I asked how soon "soon" was, they ignored my question. So instead, for now each state is left to do their own thing, to do the research, shift through the facts, hear testimony from the medical and melanoma communities, to decide what is best for their kids. It is unfortunate that legislation is necessary … but it is and I will not rest until all 50 have tan bans in place.

Donna
                                                                                                  Participant

CKasper
                                                                                                  Participant

What California should have done is banned tanning beds, period.  If a teen wants to tan, they will find a way.

In this economy, businesses need money….let's see how many of them will turn away a buck or two. 

After all they are in the "Tanning Business"  They obviously are irresponsible and do not believe you

CKasper
                                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics