The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brown mark under big toenail.

Forums General Melanoma Community Brown mark under big toenail.

Participant

Hi my name is Paige and just recently i've noticed a strange medium brownish coloured mark under my right big toenail. it's in the nail's right bottom corner and is around 5-6mm vertical and 3 mm horizontal so fairly rectangular.

Now I'm just hoping it's a bruise but do you think it could be something worth investigating?

Thank you 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

It could be a bruise, it could be a toenail fungus, it could be anything. But just for peace of mind I'd get it checked out, especially if you have a history of melanoma.

What your doctor will probably do, is take a close look at it and if s/he is not 100% sure what's going on, will mark the top of the discoloration and the bottom of the discoloration and have you come back in 6 weeks or so. If the discoloration stays within the markings it's growing out with the nail and that's a good thing. If the discoloration doesn't grow out, then further testing will be necessary.

POW
            Participant

Linny is correct; a bruise will slowly move in the direction of the tip of your toe as the nail grows. Melanoma will not move. 

POW
              Participant

Linny is correct; a bruise will slowly move in the direction of the tip of your toe as the nail grows. Melanoma will not move. 

POW
                Participant

Linny
                Participant

It could be a bruise, it could be a toenail fungus, it could be anything. But just for peace of mind I'd get it checked out, especially if you have a history of melanoma.

What your doctor will probably do, is take a close look at it and if s/he is not 100% sure what's going on, will mark the top of the discoloration and the bottom of the discoloration and have you come back in 6 weeks or so. If the discoloration stays within the markings it's growing out with the nail and that's a good thing. If the discoloration doesn't grow out, then further testing will be necessary.

Linny
                  Participant

UrsulaZ
                    Participant

hi, Paige

I had a similar mark under my thumbnail that did turn out to be melanoma. It extended the full length of the nail before I noticed it. 

But when it appeared, I was already in stage IV. If you have never been diagnosed with melanoma, then your pre-test probability would be lower!

Still worth checking out, in my opinion.

best, 

Ursula

Thefranster
                        Participant

Wow what is your prognosis? I just discovered a strange brown circular spot under my nail and I'm scheduled for a nail biopsy next month. Having a lot of anxiety about it 

Thefranster
                          Participant

Wow what is your prognosis? I just discovered a strange brown circular spot under my nail and I'm scheduled for a nail biopsy next month. Having a lot of anxiety about it 

Thefranster
                            Participant

UrsulaZ
                            Participant

hi, Paige

I had a similar mark under my thumbnail that did turn out to be melanoma. It extended the full length of the nail before I noticed it. 

But when it appeared, I was already in stage IV. If you have never been diagnosed with melanoma, then your pre-test probability would be lower!

best, 

Ursula

UrsulaZ
                              Participant

hi, Paige

best, 

Ursula

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics