The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

brain tumor

Forums General Melanoma Community brain tumor

Participant
      Well, after a few weeks with what I thought was strep turned out to be a pretty big tumor. I passed out at work and was taken to the ER. They found that I had one tumor in my brain. I pretty much lost feeling in my right arm and leg. I’m out of the hospital now and am doing localized radiation as a outpatient. I’d like to know why my doctor chose to treat it with radiation instead of gamma knife or SRS. I haven’t received a full explanation of my treatment yet. I’m not against it, I’m just confused right now.

Kellie (from Iowa) stage IV

Well, after a few weeks with what I thought was strep turned out to be a pretty big tumor. I passed out at work and was taken to the ER. They found that I had one tumor in my brain. I pretty much lost feeling in my right arm and leg. I’m out of the hospital now and am doing localized radiation as a outpatient. I’d like to know why my doctor chose to treat it with radiation instead of gamma knife or SRS. I haven’t received a full explanation of my treatment yet. I’m not against it, I’m just confused right now.

Kellie (from Iowa) stage IV

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant
          How big was the tumor? It has to be under 3 centimeters to do gamma knife or srs. They found a 5.5 centimeter tumor in my hubby a month ago. A month of Zelboraf shrunk it a tiny bit and he will be going for a craniotomy on Wednesday. His other option was whole brain radiation, to try to shrink it enough for gamma knife. Maybe that’s what your doctor is doing? He opted for the craniotomy because the tumor can fairly easily be accessed and we didn’t want to use WBR yet since it can only be used once. Ask some more questions…brain tumors are scary!
          jmmm
          Participant
            How big was the tumor? It has to be under 3 centimeters to do gamma knife or srs. They found a 5.5 centimeter tumor in my hubby a month ago. A month of Zelboraf shrunk it a tiny bit and he will be going for a craniotomy on Wednesday. His other option was whole brain radiation, to try to shrink it enough for gamma knife. Maybe that’s what your doctor is doing? He opted for the craniotomy because the tumor can fairly easily be accessed and we didn’t want to use WBR yet since it can only be used once. Ask some more questions…brain tumors are scary!
            jmmm
            Participant
              Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi Kellie,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I do not have any answers or advice for you, but know that i am thinking of you!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Hi Kellie,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I do not have any answers or advice for you, but know that i am thinking of you!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Hi Kellie,

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

James from Sydney
                    Participant

Kellie, you need to see what the MRI or CT report said, it could have been a bleeder as Melanoma in the Brain is quite vascular which could explain their broad approach. Still SRS can also be used to mop up Tumor bed in the event of a bleed. Do you know whether Surgery is an option. I am sure your team has your best interests at heart but you need to keep prodding them with questions so you can make informed decisions.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                      Participant

Kellie, you need to see what the MRI or CT report said, it could have been a bleeder as Melanoma in the Brain is quite vascular which could explain their broad approach. Still SRS can also be used to mop up Tumor bed in the event of a bleed. Do you know whether Surgery is an option. I am sure your team has your best interests at heart but you need to keep prodding them with questions so you can make informed decisions.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                        Participant

best wishes

James

KellieSue
                          Participant
                            Indication: Patient with hemorrhagic melanoma mets and new dystonic
                            movements.

Technique: Axial CT images of the head were obtained from skullbase to
                            vertex without contrast.

Comparison: Head CT 11/19/2011, MRI brain 11/16/2011.

Findings: The hemorrhagic mass in the left insular region is grossly
                            stable in size measuring 3.8 x 2.9 cm. There is stable surrounding
                            edema with approximately 4 mm contralateral midline shift and
                            associated mass effect on the frontal horn left lateral ventricle.
                            There are no new intra or extra-axial hemorrhages. No acute large
                            vessel distribution ischemia. The ventricles are stable in size.
                            Visualized orbits, paranasal sinuses, and mastoid air cells are
                            unremarkable. There are no lytic calvarial lesions.

jmmm
                              Participant
                                Too big for gamma knife or srs. Maybe the plan is too shrink it with radiation? Maybe ask forneurosurgery consult to see if surgery is a possibility.
                                jmmm
                                Participant
                                  Too big for gamma knife or srs. Maybe the plan is too shrink it with radiation? Maybe ask forneurosurgery consult to see if surgery is a possibility.
                                  jmmm
                                  Participant
                                  KellieSue
                                  Participant
                                    movements.

vertex without contrast.

KellieSue
                                    Participant
                                      movements.

vertex without contrast.

lhaley
                                      Participant

Kellie,

I've been away for a few days and just saw your post.  I am so sorry that they've found a tumor in the brain.

Recently with my brain met I was told that I was at about the upper size (mine is 21mm) for SRS (which is what they did), I'm not sure about Gamma knife.  Their first choice was not for a crainectomy because mine is deep and could cause permanent problems – I'll find out in about 2 weeks.  Did they explain if yours is deep or if there is a chance to go in once it shrinks to try do do a crainectomy?

If you haven't met with a nueruosurgeon you do need to request an appointment. He should have gone over all of your options. I'm sure when you ended up in the hospital they expediated everything but more should have been gone over with options.

I know you are still on B-raf. How are the rest of the mets going?  I had noticed that you haven't been on the board lately. Think of you often,

Linda

lhaley
                                        Participant

Kellie,

I've been away for a few days and just saw your post.  I am so sorry that they've found a tumor in the brain.

Recently with my brain met I was told that I was at about the upper size (mine is 21mm) for SRS (which is what they did), I'm not sure about Gamma knife.  Their first choice was not for a crainectomy because mine is deep and could cause permanent problems – I'll find out in about 2 weeks.  Did they explain if yours is deep or if there is a chance to go in once it shrinks to try do do a crainectomy?

If you haven't met with a nueruosurgeon you do need to request an appointment. He should have gone over all of your options. I'm sure when you ended up in the hospital they expediated everything but more should have been gone over with options.

I know you are still on B-raf. How are the rest of the mets going?  I had noticed that you haven't been on the board lately. Think of you often,

Linda

lhaley
                                          Participant

Kellie,

Linda

King
                                            Participant

Hi Kellie Sue,

You are frequently in my thoughts and I thought you'd been very quiet.  I was hoping it was because you were out living life and putting mel on the back burner.  I am so sorry to hear this news.  Big sigh….I just hate melanoma.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us updated when you can.  You can beat this….one day at a time.

Stay Strong
                                              King

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

King
                                              Participant

Hi Kellie Sue,

You are frequently in my thoughts and I thought you'd been very quiet.  I was hoping it was because you were out living life and putting mel on the back burner.  I am so sorry to hear this news.  Big sigh….I just hate melanoma.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us updated when you can.  You can beat this….one day at a time.

Stay Strong
                                                King

King
                                                Participant

Hi Kellie Sue,

Stay Strong
                                                  King

FormerCaregiver
                                                  Participant

Kellie, I am sorry to read of this new met. From the report, it looks like you have a tumour that is hemorrhagic (susceptible to bleeding). It is surrounded by a swollen area with excessive accumulation of fluid.

Therefore, I think that your doctor is being careful in deciding on what to do in this situation. Perhaps localised radiation is the most appropriate treatment for a hemorrhagic brain met?

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                    Participant

Kellie, I am sorry to read of this new met. From the report, it looks like you have a tumour that is hemorrhagic (susceptible to bleeding). It is surrounded by a swollen area with excessive accumulation of fluid.

Therefore, I think that your doctor is being careful in deciding on what to do in this situation. Perhaps localised radiation is the most appropriate treatment for a hemorrhagic brain met?

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                      Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics