The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain MRI – I have a question

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain MRI – I have a question

Participant
      My first brain MRI is next week 2 months after I had 2 brain mets gamma knifed. One was 2.5cm and the other 7mm. I haven’t had one symptom since – no headache, etc, so this has to be a good sign shouldn’t it? Doesn’t it seem strange that i feel normal after all this?? Obviously if they were growing, I’d be having some headaches, etc wouldn’t I? Being an ipi responder and all mets shrinking or disappearing in my lungs and going nowhere else must be a good sign. I know several people who got brain mets after ipi (like me) and haven’t got anymore.

My first brain MRI is next week 2 months after I had 2 brain mets gamma knifed. One was 2.5cm and the other 7mm. I haven’t had one symptom since – no headache, etc, so this has to be a good sign shouldn’t it? Doesn’t it seem strange that i feel normal after all this?? Obviously if they were growing, I’d be having some headaches, etc wouldn’t I? Being an ipi responder and all mets shrinking or disappearing in my lungs and going nowhere else must be a good sign. I know several people who got brain mets after ipi (like me) and haven’t got anymore. This is what I’m truly hoping for, but of course I’m getting extremely nervous.

When they don’t check you earlier for possible mets, it’s kind of scary. You do understand that swelling, etc takes place after gamma knife so it would be hard to see anything. When do most of you get a brain MRI for follow up after you’ve had brain mets?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Lisa,

I've now been 2 months and 2 weeks.  Originally I had the first appointment in EMR after 2 weeks. I sure learned then that what a real headache is.  Now I've had much worse ones that I was originally that weekend.   I had the follow up at 6 weeks (mine was early because of the bleeding to make sure that it had stopped, they would have originally gone to the 4 weeks but saw was stable after the 2 weeks).  I was able then to see it had shrunk by about 20% and they could tell it would continue to shrink.   Because of seeing double today they again did another mri today, 1 month later and saw that it has shrunk even more. 

Seeing the comparing scans was interesting.  You can still see where it had bled and also see how much it has shrunk!  I have another appointment with my radiologist and nuerologist next week.  My issue is now edema.  I've been told that this can be common from the high dose of radiation.  Now the decision is to do a crainectomy or not.  My issue was that the tumor itself was so deep inside. 

I would think with your larger tumor would have shrunk if you felt it by now.  It was really interesting (once I wasn't panicked) to compare the different scans.  Now it's totally gray. 

My friend just had a crainectomy and it was 4.2cm (not including the bleeding), he did not feel any symptoms until 2 weeks before his surgery, but some people have symptoms that are small.  

Enjoy the next 2 weeks and try to put aside the anxiety until right before.   Easier said then done.

Linda

davidfromsingapore
            Participant

Yes – me too Lisa.  Horrible heachaches – 3 times that put me back in the hospital.  The pain was debilatating.  Only controllable through lots of morphine and other pain killers.  I'm not about 1 month away from Novalis and the pain is slowly getting better.  I want to get off the roids, but at the same time I am worried about the haeaches comeing back.  I wish you both a speedy recovery and I hope that you never had a headache again!  I went in for CT yesterday and MRI today.  Hoping for good news.  

David

davidfromsingapore
              Participant

Yes – me too Lisa.  Horrible heachaches – 3 times that put me back in the hospital.  The pain was debilatating.  Only controllable through lots of morphine and other pain killers.  I'm not about 1 month away from Novalis and the pain is slowly getting better.  I want to get off the roids, but at the same time I am worried about the haeaches comeing back.  I wish you both a speedy recovery and I hope that you never had a headache again!  I went in for CT yesterday and MRI today.  Hoping for good news.  

David

davidfromsingapore
                Participant

David

lhaley
                Participant

Lisa,

I've now been 2 months and 2 weeks.  Originally I had the first appointment in EMR after 2 weeks. I sure learned then that what a real headache is.  Now I've had much worse ones that I was originally that weekend.   I had the follow up at 6 weeks (mine was early because of the bleeding to make sure that it had stopped, they would have originally gone to the 4 weeks but saw was stable after the 2 weeks).  I was able then to see it had shrunk by about 20% and they could tell it would continue to shrink.   Because of seeing double today they again did another mri today, 1 month later and saw that it has shrunk even more. 

Seeing the comparing scans was interesting.  You can still see where it had bled and also see how much it has shrunk!  I have another appointment with my radiologist and nuerologist next week.  My issue is now edema.  I've been told that this can be common from the high dose of radiation.  Now the decision is to do a crainectomy or not.  My issue was that the tumor itself was so deep inside. 

I would think with your larger tumor would have shrunk if you felt it by now.  It was really interesting (once I wasn't panicked) to compare the different scans.  Now it's totally gray. 

My friend just had a crainectomy and it was 4.2cm (not including the bleeding), he did not feel any symptoms until 2 weeks before his surgery, but some people have symptoms that are small.  

Enjoy the next 2 weeks and try to put aside the anxiety until right before.   Easier said then done.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Lisa,

Linda

glewis923
                    Participant

hey Lisa-    Your case sounds a lot like mine- excep[ i had like 9 more or so under 1 cm tumours .  I also had WBR on top of 7 or 9 SRS's .  I know many people are hesitant about WBR, but I'm not a blithering idiot yet !  (no more 'dan i ever wus)  I would consider doing WBR as extra precaution…..especially IF anything new shows up in your next week MRI,  and let's pray to God nothing will.    I started IPI immediately after SRS and WBR and my lung issues mostly cleared up…..AND i give IPI (and WBR) some credit for keeping my numerous brain tumors in check- especially the few small ones that were NOT SRS's.     Take Care !!!  Grady.     PS:  JAG/John has been an immense inspiration to me- I thought for sure from all i read and the radiologists' attitude that there was little or no hope for me….4-6 mths…..then i read John's Story and realized i could be just as stubborn and proactive against the brain buggers!  

glewis923
                      Participant

hey Lisa-    Your case sounds a lot like mine- excep[ i had like 9 more or so under 1 cm tumours .  I also had WBR on top of 7 or 9 SRS's .  I know many people are hesitant about WBR, but I'm not a blithering idiot yet !  (no more 'dan i ever wus)  I would consider doing WBR as extra precaution…..especially IF anything new shows up in your next week MRI,  and let's pray to God nothing will.    I started IPI immediately after SRS and WBR and my lung issues mostly cleared up…..AND i give IPI (and WBR) some credit for keeping my numerous brain tumors in check- especially the few small ones that were NOT SRS's.     Take Care !!!  Grady.     PS:  JAG/John has been an immense inspiration to me- I thought for sure from all i read and the radiologists' attitude that there was little or no hope for me….4-6 mths…..then i read John's Story and realized i could be just as stubborn and proactive against the brain buggers!  

glewis923
                        Participant

momof2kids
                          Participant

Hey Lisa. Once you have the Brain Mets, you'll go every 2+ months til they don't see anything on your scan basically.  Once there is nothing there, my brain doctor said he wants to see me every 4 months (which I"m scared of now, as that's all the longer it took for my orange size tumor to grow they said!).

I'm sure yours are shrinking with the Gamma Knife, as it works on 85% of people, and lets hope there's no new tumors of course too!  Not having any symptoms sounds great too.

My brain was clear last checkup, I'm due again in March 9th for my next checkup, but of course I"m always worried. Before my last checkup my head was just feeling achy (as if you have a cold, etc), and it still always feels like that, even now, the spot where I had my giant tumor removed from just aches (like as if someone is pushing on the spot there), but I guess I have to live with that now always having a weird feeling there.

Best of luck on the next scan and I hope it's good news for the Brain when you go back and it shows shrinkage of the tumors!

Lisa13
                              Participant

I'm so glad to be going every 2 months – since my 2.5 cm one took somewhere around 3 months to grow.  Because I was being treated with ipi and because it takes time to work, the cancer can go where it wants.  I know somebody else who also got 2 brain mets right after ipi, even though he had a great response to ipi. After having them gamma knifed, it's been 19 months!  I have to hope that something similar happens.

Brain mets sucks!  However, there are now quite a few people that don't come on here much who had 2 brain mets and nothing else since. It's been 5 years for 2 people and 2-3 years so far for others, so you have to be hopeful. My dr. was even wondering if the ipi was inflamming the big once  since it didn't look like a typical melanoma.  We'll soon find out!!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                Participant

I'm so glad to be going every 2 months – since my 2.5 cm one took somewhere around 3 months to grow.  Because I was being treated with ipi and because it takes time to work, the cancer can go where it wants.  I know somebody else who also got 2 brain mets right after ipi, even though he had a great response to ipi. After having them gamma knifed, it's been 19 months!  I have to hope that something similar happens.

Brain mets sucks!  However, there are now quite a few people that don't come on here much who had 2 brain mets and nothing else since. It's been 5 years for 2 people and 2-3 years so far for others, so you have to be hopeful. My dr. was even wondering if the ipi was inflamming the big once  since it didn't look like a typical melanoma.  We'll soon find out!!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                  Participant

Lisa

momof2kids
                                  Participant

Hey Lisa. Once you have the Brain Mets, you'll go every 2+ months til they don't see anything on your scan basically.  Once there is nothing there, my brain doctor said he wants to see me every 4 months (which I"m scared of now, as that's all the longer it took for my orange size tumor to grow they said!).

I'm sure yours are shrinking with the Gamma Knife, as it works on 85% of people, and lets hope there's no new tumors of course too!  Not having any symptoms sounds great too.

My brain was clear last checkup, I'm due again in March 9th for my next checkup, but of course I"m always worried. Before my last checkup my head was just feeling achy (as if you have a cold, etc), and it still always feels like that, even now, the spot where I had my giant tumor removed from just aches (like as if someone is pushing on the spot there), but I guess I have to live with that now always having a weird feeling there.

Best of luck on the next scan and I hope it's good news for the Brain when you go back and it shows shrinkage of the tumors!

momof2kids
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics