The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain MRI – How often?

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain MRI – How often?

Participant

I was diagnosed stage 3 in May 2016 and had a brain MRI before my CLND. When I went to see my onc last week, I asked if I should have a repeat MRI and she said that she doesn't recommend them unless a patient is showing symptoms.

After thinking about it, I wondered if it wouldn't be better to have them regularly before there are any symptoms…what are your thoughts on this? Are brain MRIs normally recommended on a regular basis for stage 3, or is it normal to wait until symptoms appear?

I have been having regular chest, abdomen & pelvis CT scans.

Thanks,

Ann

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant
          Hi Ann,
          I am stage 4 but when i had tumours in my liver , lungs they checked scans every 3 months plus brain MRI 3 months even thou at that time did not have any brain tumours. Year on they caught a 4mm one in brain. So if i was not having checks every 3 months i would have had symptoms before finding it.
          Not sure on how scans are with stage 3 but i went from stage 2 to 4 and only did scans cus i was having pains. Things can change so quick.
          Scooby
          jennunicorn
          Participant

I don't get regular brain MRIs, my oncologist also says she doesn't typically do them super regularly unless there is something seen on my regular PET/CT scans that I do every 3 months. But, my scans are full body, so if something looked strange on the CT of the brain, then I would get a brain MRI. Since you are not getting full body scans, I would ask why you are not getting full body scans and if they won't do at least full body CTs for you, then you should get an annual brain MRI. Easier to take care of something caught early that is small and minimal rather than wait until you have physical symptoms. It's never a given, many people never get brain mets, but we all know this mel crap isn't something to mess around with.

youngann
              Participant

Thanks Jenn. Full body scans sound like a good idea, I'm going to request that when I'm due again in May.

Ann

BarbaraF
                Participant

My husband has only one kidney from previous bladder cancer and avoids contrast scans. But, newly diagnosed with Stage IIIC or Stage 4, he got a brain scan with contrast. What is the relative value of detecting new brain mets versus exposing him to those kinds of scans?

Jahendry12
                Participant

My husband has MRI's of the head every 6 months and CT's every 3. He is stage IV.

Mark_DC
                    Participant

Am stage 3 and seems i do ct every 3 months of parts of leg, chest, abdomen (?) then brain mri every 6 months, just like jahendry

no pet scans (well not regularly), and i dont know what a full body scan is (would like to know! But dont think they will give me)

so yes, i think some brain mri could be a good idea

good luck, mark

jenny22
                    Participant

Hi- Stage IIIB, currently NED….have CT scans of neck, chest, ab, pelvic and head every 6 month….Brain MRI once a year (alternating  with HEAD CT)

Have never had another PET scan  since initial diagnosis….treated at Sloan and NYU…..

Am told we will stay on 6 month scan schedule for a while…not sure if 2 or 3 years.

Bubbles
                      Participant

Just put up this post addressing when to scan Stage III mlanoma patients that may interest you peeps:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/03/study-in-support-of-petct-surveillance.html

Wishing you all my best.  celeste

mjanssentx
                        Participant

Ann – Stage 3A with no progression for just over 2+ years.

Quarterly PET scans (full body) and MRI for brain every year.  Since I made it to 2 years my PET scans will move to 6 months staying with the annual MRI.  

I think at 5 years they move to annual.

Best wishes.

Michel

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics