The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain mets found after being declared NED 3 months ago

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain mets found after being declared NED 3 months ago

Participant
      Hi all,

I had my first set of follow-up scans last Friday. I had been having headaches for a few weeks but thinking everything Melanoma-wise was gone I assumed it was allergy/sinus stuff. I finally went to the doctor and got some antibiotics for what I thought was a sinus infection but they didn’t help at all. I had already alerted my oncology team and they said that was a good idea and we would discuss on Friday. I had my CT scans and then my appointment after and we were already discussing scheduling a brain MRI when the person reading my scans called and said the neck scan caught some masses on my brain. So, off I went to ER to get a brain MRI done right away. They found 8 masses total and kept me in the hospital all weekend. I am on steroids now for the brain swelling which was causing the headaches. I met with a neurosurgeon who said he did not see any need for immediate surgery, and then a radiology oncologist to discuss radiation. We are moving forward with gamma knife radiation and see how it goes. Looking for any advice or experiences anyone can share about this? It’s quite a shock and a blow after thinking I was good, but I know this is how Melanoma plays…dirty and sneaky. But I am a fighter and certainly not going to let it win!!

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          Hello Jenn,

I had gamma knife for one met. It was less traumatic than I expected.  Worst thing was having the “halo” put on, but they gave me pain killer injections in the four attachment points, so it didn’t really hurt much.  Still a bit disturbing. The procedure was nothing.  I didn’t have any after-effects, but I know others have.  Just try to stay calm and all will be well.  Cheers.

Warren

Bubbles
          Participant
            So sorry, Jenn!!!  Melanoma sucks great big hairy green stinky balls!!!  Still, like Warren, I had SRS to a brain met and the worst thing about it was the halo application and removal!  But, all in all – very doable.  And…I’m still here!  11 years later.  Still NED for melanoma.  Plus, a lot of places use a mask rather than the halo these days.  Hope you have the easiest time possible dealing with this mess.  Hang tough!  Wishing you my best!  Celeste
            soonerjenn14
            Participant
              Thank you, Warren and Celeste! They did fit me for a mask yesterday, so no halo. I’m ready to fight again, but sure was not expecting this.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences!

Jenn

Christinad
              Participant
                Hi Jenn, sorry you’ve encountered this bump in the road. Sending good vibes your way. I hope all goes well with the radiation and you are NED once again. Hang in there! ((Hugs))
                soonerjenn14
                Participant
                  Thank you, Christinad! I appreciate the thoughts. Hope you are doing better!

Take care,

Jenn

sing123
                  Participant
                    Jenn, I had 3 brain mets (also a shock after NED) and the radiation was not as bad as I would’ve thought. I don’t even recall being very tired afterwards. I do recommend that you consider talking to oncologist about immuno after. This is based on advice from Dr. Jeffrey Weber.  I decided to go with combo and was only able to tolerate one of the four ipi/nivo. I had previously been on just Opdivo. I have been again NED going on 17 mos!!!
                    soonerjenn14
                    Participant
                      Hi sing123,

Thank you for sharing! I already have an appointment with my oncologist this week to discuss meds following the radiation. Glad to hear you are NED again! I have 8 mets right now…hoping for no more!

Take care!

Jenn

JudiAU
                      Participant
                        I had brain radiation twice after resections, to fry any remaining bits of tumor (not melanoma) and melanoma met. I was terrified honestly but really it was not that bad. I was mostly tired. Both times my husband took the kids out of town and another family member drove me. I needed that peace and I was quite tired.

I do have more grey hair that appeared immediately after radiation. My hair was really short and it was obvious. I even had some hair that was brown and then abruptly  white.

After brain surgery 3x and radiation 2x I do personally feel like I have some loss of cognition. I am slower than I was and my math is significantly worse.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics