The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Braf trial and side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Braf trial and side effects

Participant
      I am hoping to get in a braf trial (if they can ever finally get my tissue sampled…) and was curious what folks are experiencing for side effects?

I was confirmed stage 4 in march with mets to the lungs. Having brain MRI and ct scans done on Tuesday. Let the scanxiety begin!

My boss has been asking me if I will have any restrictions. I haven’t really taken any time off of work thru all this, but find it harder and harder to concentrate lately at work. Plus I do a fair amount of traveling every now and then and worry that flying and not sleeping well isn’t great for my immune system while on these treatments and drugs. When not traveling I am just at an office type job all day so it’s not too hard on the body.

just curious how folks handle their jobs and melanoma stress! Somedays are easier than others!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        theonlydrea
        Participant
          My husband on braf no restriction outside of the norm on being home for check ups. Good luck!
          theonlydrea
          Participant
            My husband on braf no restriction outside of the norm on being home for check ups. Good luck!
            FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Although I don't have any specific info about the side effects of BRAF
              inhibitors, I thought that I would say a bit about stress and stage 4. I am
              familiar with the feelings associated with scanxiety from a caregiver's
              viewpoint.

I feel that fighting melanoma and attempting to keep it from spreading further
              is now of the highest priority. At stage 4 it is expected that most people will
              find it quite difficult to concentrate on work and some everyday tasks. However,
              this doesn't apply to everyone as some will try to take their mind off things by
              attempting to be workaholics.

Obviously one should be aware that all treatments have side effects. Expect
              to have more than one type of treatment. The stress of all that is happening can
              sometimes be a real problem in itself.

Therefore, I have some questions to for you to think about. Are you able
              to reduce your working hours at all? How much sick leave can you take if
              you are feeling unwell? Can you work from home at all? Do you have
              someone to help you if needed?

Good luck with your scans on Tuesday.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Although I don't have any specific info about the side effects of BRAF
                inhibitors, I thought that I would say a bit about stress and stage 4. I am
                familiar with the feelings associated with scanxiety from a caregiver's
                viewpoint.

I feel that fighting melanoma and attempting to keep it from spreading further
                is now of the highest priority. At stage 4 it is expected that most people will
                find it quite difficult to concentrate on work and some everyday tasks. However,
                this doesn't apply to everyone as some will try to take their mind off things by
                attempting to be workaholics.

Obviously one should be aware that all treatments have side effects. Expect
                to have more than one type of treatment. The stress of all that is happening can
                sometimes be a real problem in itself.

Therefore, I have some questions to for you to think about. Are you able
                to reduce your working hours at all? How much sick leave can you take if
                you are feeling unwell? Can you work from home at all? Do you have
                someone to help you if needed?

Good luck with your scans on Tuesday.

Frank from Australia

mrsmarilyn
                Participant

Hi -My brother had a fever and a rash – that lasted about 3 days during the first week-but other than that he felt great-and the Braf was extremely effective – with 40% reduction withing the first three months.  Best of luck!

MrsMarilyn

theonlydrea
                    Participant

my husband got full release. so far side effects minimal. He is stage 4, his docs just said to let them know before hand.

theonlydrea
                      Participant

my husband got full release. so far side effects minimal. He is stage 4, his docs just said to let them know before hand.

mrsmarilyn
                      Participant

Hi -My brother had a fever and a rash – that lasted about 3 days during the first week-but other than that he felt great-and the Braf was extremely effective – with 40% reduction withing the first three months.  Best of luck!

MrsMarilyn

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics