The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF+ more aggressive?

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF+ more aggressive?

Participant

My oncologist seems to think that being BRAF positive means nothing in terms of the disease as far as we know at the moment other than treatment options are different. But I've heard elsewhere that BRAF + means the disease is more aggressive? Is it more likely to spread from stage 3 to stage 4? 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        stevenallenschwartz
        Participant

I would trust your onc. I was told that the treatement options are different & that is the significant deviation.

Jahendry12
          Participant

Same here. 

MovingOn
              Participant

BRAF+ is more frequent and therefore more $ is invested on treatments by big pharma. Otherwise, I haven't heard of a difference. (Please excuse me if I sound negative, I'm BRAF- and feeling like big pharma isn't putting as much effort into solving the equation for BRAF- sufferers).

jennunicorn
                Participant

The BRAF mutation occurs in about 50% of melanoma patients, mainly cutaneous melanoma. It's definitely frustrating to not have a mutation since there are those drugs created to target those with the mutation. But, the drugs like Ipi/Nivo and Keytruda work whether there's a mutation or not. And more drugs are in the pipeline that also are not mutation targeted drugs. One thing I agree needs to be worked on more are drugs for NRAS and the other less common mutations. Having a mutation but not having a drug that targets it is even more frustrating.. but the scientists are working on it… it just takes a lot of time unfortunately.

ed williams
                Participant

Hi Anon, I have a little video from Dr.Weber talking about targeted therapies and specificly the Braf mutation. At the 2:30 mark he talks about one of your questions " Do people have better or worse out comes based on having the Braf mutation. I hope this is helpfull. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcRHFGTyGs

jennunicorn
                    Participant

Thanks for posting this Ed! This post got me thinking last night as I had never really thought about nor heard that BRAF patients were "worse off" even though I knew what BRAF was and how it works.. so, yeah, it makes sense. And of course makes a ton of sense why they put so much time into creating the targeted drugs for BRAF patients. The other point in the video that I find personally interesting is when he mentions that BRAF positive patients tend to have melanoma show up in areas of the skin that have not had a lot of sun exposure. That's true in my case and I am BRAF positive. Always interests me to learn something new about melanoma that directly relates to myself.. as I continue this journey in kicking it's a** and learning all I can about it, because knowledge is power! 

Cheers Ed, keep the videos coming!

AvaL
                    Participant

Thanks for lol this information. The video is really interesting. It has given me a lot of info of exactly what BRAF mutation is, didn't realise I had no idea how the drugs actually worked on it and why. This guy (expect he's a top expert) in the video is great too, somehow he manages to turn a pretty damn scary topic into one with quite a positive message. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics