The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Braf/Mek grade 3 hives

Forums General Melanoma Community Braf/Mek grade 3 hives

Participant
      After 3 1/2 weeks on braftovi/Mektovi combo I have developed grade 3 hives on 80% of my body. It drives me crazy with the urge to itch and comes in waves, worse at night. Other than that no other side effects though. I informed Doctor and he immediately took my off the meds until hives go away. That was 5 days ago and still have hives. I apply steroid cream and take Prednisone and anti itch medication. Hopefully this goes away quick so I can get back on meds, perhaps lower dosage? Very disappointed after such excellent results.
      Wondering what plan b would be if I can’t take the braf/Mek combo again.
      Cheers
      John
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Sorry you’re dealing with that, John! I’m sure the Wizard will have a plan. Lot’s of folks do well on targeted therapy with a lowered dosage or “alternate dosing” schedules. (Meaning rather than taking the drugs at the same dose at the same time everyday, taking them every other day or some such.) Hopefully the prednisone and drug holiday will remedy your rash and you can resume treatment with no further difficulty. However, it may be that the ipi/nivo combo or even anti-PD-1 as a single agent may be options for you now that you have diminished your tumor burden. Further, there are certainly other combo’s and trial options out there should you need them. I am certain you will resume your current therapy or find a plan that will continue to work for you very soon! Wishing you my best! Celeste
          Summer S.
          Participant
            Hi John,

Yeah side effects are the worst, stay strong, they are a small price to pay to beat melanoma.

In addition to what @bubbles suggested,

I would highly recommend doing a full genetic profiling, if you did not yet, you know by now that you are Braf+, but a full profiling will show other possible mutations that can open the door for other potential drugs, including guiding you to what could be more effective immunotherapy or other targeted therapies of use.

I wish you all the best❤️

Summer S.
            Participant
              Hi John,

Yeah side effects are the worst, stay strong, they are a small price to pay to beat melanoma.

In addition to what @bubbles suggested,

I would highly recommend doing a full genetic profiling, if you did not yet, you know by now that you are Braf+, but a full profiling will show other possible mutations that can open the door for other potential drugs, including guiding you to what could be more effective immunotherapy or other targeted therapies of use.

I wish you all the best❤️

mrhubahuba
                Participant
                  Thank you bubbles and Summer 5 for the advice and encouragement. This board and the people on it have been priceless in changing my whole attitude in a positive way. Since becoming stage 4 and deciding to become more proactive in my care and treatment options, this board has been my compass.
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics