The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF/MEK fever/chills Advice???

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF/MEK fever/chills Advice???

Participant

My husband is starting his fifth week of GSK's  Braf/Mek trial.  The only side effects he has had prior to now are a fever and chills occurring 4 hours after his dose and lasting about two hours.  This did not occur every day, and when it did, it was with varying degrees of intensity.

For the last 24 hours, he has had continuing fever and chills.  Sometimes the fever breaks for a short while, but returns.  My husband is afraid to call the doctor about this for fear of being taken off the trial, which otherswise seems to be working.

My husband is starting his fifth week of GSK's  Braf/Mek trial.  The only side effects he has had prior to now are a fever and chills occurring 4 hours after his dose and lasting about two hours.  This did not occur every day, and when it did, it was with varying degrees of intensity.

For the last 24 hours, he has had continuing fever and chills.  Sometimes the fever breaks for a short while, but returns.  My husband is afraid to call the doctor about this for fear of being taken off the trial, which otherswise seems to be working.

Has anyone had these symptoms?  Any advice? 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        dawn dion
        Participant

I had the same problem with the fever and the god-awful chills – I could get it to come down and then it would come back – to the point of being exhausting.   My fevers got as high as 103.   The took me off for 72 hours started me back with the MEK for 72 hours and then the BRAF.   Haven't had any problems since then.   According to my Dr. the fevers are a VERY common side effect.

dawn dion
          Participant

I had the same problem with the fever and the god-awful chills – I could get it to come down and then it would come back – to the point of being exhausting.   My fevers got as high as 103.   The took me off for 72 hours started me back with the MEK for 72 hours and then the BRAF.   Haven't had any problems since then.   According to my Dr. the fevers are a VERY common side effect.

deffk1105
            Participant

I also had the same exact symptoms after 17 days (i started the same week as Dawn above ๐Ÿ™‚ ).  Same result.  I was also taken off the meds for 3 days, then put back on one at a time.  No problems since then.  I have my 2 month scans next week.  Definitely call your trial doc – they'll want to track his symptoms.  They won't take him off unless something else is worrying them – ie blood test results, etc.  I don't think he has anything to worry about ๐Ÿ™‚  Good luck!

-Kate

dawn dion
                Participant

Hello Kate 

Big week coming up for us my friend.  My fingers are crossed for you!  The scanxiety is setting in big time over here.  What day are you going?  I will be there on Thursday.  Let me know if you will be around maybe we can hook up.   Keep me in the loop and let me know how things go.  Happy Easter to you!

dawn dion
                  Participant

Hello Kate 

Big week coming up for us my friend.  My fingers are crossed for you!  The scanxiety is setting in big time over here.  What day are you going?  I will be there on Thursday.  Let me know if you will be around maybe we can hook up.   Keep me in the loop and let me know how things go.  Happy Easter to you!

deffk1105
                  Participant

I also had the same exact symptoms after 17 days (i started the same week as Dawn above ๐Ÿ™‚ ).  Same result.  I was also taken off the meds for 3 days, then put back on one at a time.  No problems since then.  I have my 2 month scans next week.  Definitely call your trial doc – they'll want to track his symptoms.  They won't take him off unless something else is worrying them – ie blood test results, etc.  I don't think he has anything to worry about ๐Ÿ™‚  Good luck!

-Kate

mommydog
                    Participant

Just an update–the doctor just advised my husband to take Tylenol and ride it through.  The fever finally broke and hasn't returned for two days now.  The doctor also said that the new shipment of  BRAF from GSK is stronger, so there could be additional side effects.  

dawn dion
                        Participant

is he refering to the dosage that the switched from 3 of 50 to 2 of 75 twice a day.   If that is the case I have not noticed anything additional yet = although the "shedding" issues we were discussing did start after that.   Glad to hear that he is feeling better.    I tried the whole tylenol/advil and they just kept coming back – I wasn't happy about being off of it for the 72 hours but according to them it's very common.

dawn dion
                          Participant

is he refering to the dosage that the switched from 3 of 50 to 2 of 75 twice a day.   If that is the case I have not noticed anything additional yet = although the "shedding" issues we were discussing did start after that.   Glad to hear that he is feeling better.    I tried the whole tylenol/advil and they just kept coming back – I wasn't happy about being off of it for the 72 hours but according to them it's very common.

mommydog
                          Participant

Just an update–the doctor just advised my husband to take Tylenol and ride it through.  The fever finally broke and hasn't returned for two days now.  The doctor also said that the new shipment of  BRAF from GSK is stronger, so there could be additional side effects.  

mrsmarilyn
                            Participant

Hi-I was just checking on the board tonight for that very same issue.  My brother really battling the fever and chills- and has not yet disclosed to trial doctor.  But now I will tell him it is common and they need to track.  That is great news that after a short while – maybe 72 hrs after being off the combo-it subsides.

I am going to call him now–thank you for taking the time to post this-it really helped. Best of luck on your progress and keep me posted-feel free to email direct anytime.

MrsMarilyn

Sister of Gary (Stage IV)

theonlydrea
                                Participant
                                  Husband on braf chills a few hours after dosage at night started Easter morning theyrdoc said to take Tylenol . Hair shedding more and more. Tylenol seemed to help. Apt today for 2 week check u
                                  theonlydrea
                                  Participant
                                    Husband on braf chills a few hours after dosage at night started Easter morning theyrdoc said to take Tylenol . Hair shedding more and more. Tylenol seemed to help. Apt today for 2 week check u
                                  mrsmarilyn
                                  Participant

Hi-I was just checking on the board tonight for that very same issue.  My brother really battling the fever and chills- and has not yet disclosed to trial doctor.  But now I will tell him it is common and they need to track.  That is great news that after a short while – maybe 72 hrs after being off the combo-it subsides.

I am going to call him now–thank you for taking the time to post this-it really helped. Best of luck on your progress and keep me posted-feel free to email direct anytime.

MrsMarilyn

Sister of Gary (Stage IV)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics