The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF/MEK Combo

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF/MEK Combo

Participant

Hello All

It has been a long time since I have been on this site.  WOW!!!! What a lot of changes.  Back in 2010 (seems like a lifetime ago) when I was first learned that I had Melanoma this is where I came to learn about what was in store for my new life.   After a while details of other lives became more than I could handle so I took a break.  Now I am back – Thankfully not with bad news, but to share.  First let me say that while I know not everyone that was here when I departed, sadly did not survive, it is nice to see some familiar names still roaming the pages.

As you probably already know the BRAF/MEK combo is about to become FDA approved.   I have been on this trial  now for 38 months and counting. Which in my mind debunks the origional reports that the drug did not work for long periods of time.  Before everyone jumps down my throat…I know not everyone has had the same success but I am living, breathing proof that it definetly works for some.  And from what I am hearing the numbers are growing.  

Because of my fortunate success with this combo, this coming Tuesday I have been asked to come to Moffitt Cancer Center and speak with the govenor of the State of Florida…Rick Scott…(personal opion aside) about my experience with this drug combo. From what I have been told he will be putting some funding in place for Melanoma (and other cancers I am sure)  at Moffitt.  While I have know idea where all of that will lead by the time it actually comes to pass, it is very exciting and a honor to be asked to speak about my experience. 

I would love to hear from others out there that have been on the trial, to hear about your experiences and just to let everyone know that there is hope on horizion.

Looking forward to hearing from you all. 🙂

Dawn Dion

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Dawn, thanks for posting.  I love hearing from people that have been on this combo for a long time (did you get to NED?).  I've posted on the combo on a number of occasions.  I've been on it since August (6 mos) as my initial Stage IV treatment (yes, prior to approval–I have a forward thinking doctor).  I had a heavy tumor burden, which the combo has helped reduce significantly (in the range of 50-75% depending on the tumor).  I've had minimal side effects.  As far as I'm concerned these are miracle drugs.

Mat
          Participant

Dawn, thanks for posting.  I love hearing from people that have been on this combo for a long time (did you get to NED?).  I've posted on the combo on a number of occasions.  I've been on it since August (6 mos) as my initial Stage IV treatment (yes, prior to approval–I have a forward thinking doctor).  I had a heavy tumor burden, which the combo has helped reduce significantly (in the range of 50-75% depending on the tumor).  I've had minimal side effects.  As far as I'm concerned these are miracle drugs.

Mat
            Participant

MattF
              Participant

Yes thats good news….been on it since Dec.

Little fatigue and naseau, some feet issues but everything is pretty minor.

MattF
                Participant

MattF
                  Participant

Aussielyn
                    Participant

Congratulations Dawn that's fantastic news!!

I have been on the combo since August 2013 & have had one PET scan which showed NED. However my dr reduced dosage of Dabrafenib to 200mgs day because I ws having pains in legs & joints. I'm now free of side – effects but worry the reduced dosage will affect the efficacy of the treatment. Am due to have scans soon & wonder if arm pain I'm currently experiencing is related to Mel being back! 

Do you or anyone else know of anyone who has been on reduced dosage too? Hope you continue with your wonderful results.

best wishes, Lyn

Aussielyn
                      Participant

I have been on the combo since August 2013 & have had one PET scan which showed NED. However my dr reduced dosage of Dabrafenib to 200mgs day because I ws having pains in legs & joints. I'm now free of side – effects but worry the reduced dosage will affect the efficacy of the treatment. Am due to have scans soon & wonder if arm pain I'm currently experiencing is related to Mel being back! 

Do you or anyone else know of anyone who has been on reduced dosage too? Hope you continue with your wonderful results.

best wishes, Lyn

Aussielyn
                        Participant

best wishes, Lyn

dhrahn
                          Participant

Hi-

Does anybody know or have experience with trying this combo after being on zelboraf?  My husband was on zelboraf for about 11 months with great success.  As his tumors started to grow we switched over to yervoy.  We've heard that if you have already been/tolerated the BRAF gene you may only get 1-2 months until things start growing again.

Thanks for any info!

Holly

dhrahn
                            Participant

Hi-

Does anybody know or have experience with trying this combo after being on zelboraf?  My husband was on zelboraf for about 11 months with great success.  As his tumors started to grow we switched over to yervoy.  We've heard that if you have already been/tolerated the BRAF gene you may only get 1-2 months until things start growing again.

Thanks for any info!

Holly

dhrahn
                              Participant

Hi-

Thanks for any info!

Holly

POW
                                  Participant

Hi, Holly-

I think the problem that you are referring to is that for about 50% of patients, once the melanoma becomes resistant to Zeboraf it seems to become more agressive than it was. New tumors form and grow faster than the Yervoy can work. If the patient had a lot of tumors to start with, that can be a serious problem. One thing to look at is your husband's LDH levels– if they are more than twice the maximum normal range (every lab seems to use a different "normal" range for LDH) then yervoy after Zelboraf is not a good idea. It might be better to try him on the Tafinlar + MEK combo first. If that works, switch to Yervoy before the tumors become resistant again.  

POW
                                    Participant

Hi, Holly-

I think the problem that you are referring to is that for about 50% of patients, once the melanoma becomes resistant to Zeboraf it seems to become more agressive than it was. New tumors form and grow faster than the Yervoy can work. If the patient had a lot of tumors to start with, that can be a serious problem. One thing to look at is your husband's LDH levels– if they are more than twice the maximum normal range (every lab seems to use a different "normal" range for LDH) then yervoy after Zelboraf is not a good idea. It might be better to try him on the Tafinlar + MEK combo first. If that works, switch to Yervoy before the tumors become resistant again.  

POW
                                      Participant

Hi, Holly-

sgrain
                                        Participant

Hi Holly,

I am stage 4 and have done Ipi and Zelboraf.  Ipi didn't work at all for me and Zelboraf did for a couple months and then the lung tumors started to grow faster and more of them.  After hearing the Dabrafenib/Mekinist combination was approved on January 10, I called Mayo Clinic in Rochester and have an appointment with them on Tueday.  From what I have been hearing, there shouldn't be any problem going from Zelboraf to this combination but will find out for sure on Tuesday.  I will keep you posted and would appreciate it if you would post more as you hear as well.  Good luck to you and your husband.

Sandy

sgrain
                                          Participant

Hi Holly,

I am stage 4 and have done Ipi and Zelboraf.  Ipi didn't work at all for me and Zelboraf did for a couple months and then the lung tumors started to grow faster and more of them.  After hearing the Dabrafenib/Mekinist combination was approved on January 10, I called Mayo Clinic in Rochester and have an appointment with them on Tueday.  From what I have been hearing, there shouldn't be any problem going from Zelboraf to this combination but will find out for sure on Tuesday.  I will keep you posted and would appreciate it if you would post more as you hear as well.  Good luck to you and your husband.

Sandy

dhrahn
                                            Participant

Thank you Sandy!!  Yes please keep me posted.   We are currently signed up to do a trial at The Angeles clinic in Los Angeles.  It is a antibody component of MSB0010445 as well as stereotactic body radiosurgery.       If this doesn't work we will be going to the dabrafenib/mekinist combo until we can get our hands on pd1.    Hopefully soon!!  Best of luck to you as well!!

dhrahn
                                              Participant

Thank you Sandy!!  Yes please keep me posted.   We are currently signed up to do a trial at The Angeles clinic in Los Angeles.  It is a antibody component of MSB0010445 as well as stereotactic body radiosurgery.       If this doesn't work we will be going to the dabrafenib/mekinist combo until we can get our hands on pd1.    Hopefully soon!!  Best of luck to you as well!!

dhrahn
                                                Participant

sgrain
                                                  Participant

Hi Holly,

Sandy

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics