The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF / MEK combo – what then??

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF / MEK combo – what then??

Participant

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with stage IV melanoma with mets on liver / lungs, etc. 8 weeks ago and I am now taking GSK'S combo. The doctor said Ipi was not an option as it is not clear wether I would respond at all and if I did on time to survive. Initial response could take up to 4 months.

Now I am reading that there are patients for whom the combo still works fine after 3 years, for others it stopped working after 5 months. The abarage according to a trial being 10.5 months.

I also understand that after discontinuing the combo about 50% show a rapid progress of their desease, in 50% cancer growth seems to be stopped or very slow.

Now I am kind of worried that I might run into the same problem in a few months again (of course I am praying and hoping for the better outcome) that Ipi may be too slow to help!

I hope they extend compassionate care for PD1 to Europe soon so I have a chance.

Does any of you have any other ideas what could be possible options after BRAF / MEK? I also heard that there are trials of PD1 and / or Ipi together with BRAF / MEK or discontinuing BRAF / MEK rather during a time when it works well and switching to other drugs instead of waiting until the melanoma is already spreading again.

Does any of you have experience with such a situation and knows of any soutions? Is IL-2 still an option?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry you are dealing with all of this.  As you noted lots of folks are having responses that last longer, with fewer side effects than with BRAF alone.  Recently, I posted a review of BRAF inhibitors with multiple articles addressing a variety of issues.  One portion relates two articles specifically discussing how to deal with tumor work-around.  The link is below.  Hope it helps.  Yours, Celeste

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Bubbles
          Participant

Sorry you are dealing with all of this.  As you noted lots of folks are having responses that last longer, with fewer side effects than with BRAF alone.  Recently, I posted a review of BRAF inhibitors with multiple articles addressing a variety of issues.  One portion relates two articles specifically discussing how to deal with tumor work-around.  The link is below.  Hope it helps.  Yours, Celeste

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Bubbles
            Participant

Mat
              Participant

The GSK combo can reduce your tumor burden and allow you the time to move to another therapy like ipi.

Mat
                Participant

The GSK combo can reduce your tumor burden and allow you the time to move to another therapy like ipi.

Mat
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics