The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone scan results

Participant

Hi … Looking for some insight.. So the dr just called and said they did find melanoma on the rib cage.( my husband is stageIV with a tumor on his lung and 4 tumors in lymph nodes in his chest… On IPI …big tumor on lung shrunk 50% …my husband also has terrible pain on the right side where now melanoma has been found)… So I have a question… Does that mean it is on the bone or in the bone???Does Melamoma spread into the bone or onto the bone?? Probably should call dr back on Monday to ask more questions,but Thanks in advance for any info you can help us with. 

Thank you… Wishing all of you well!

Nancy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mark1101
        Participant

Hi Nancy,

Sorry you have to be in this club.  You're asking a really good question I never considered.  I had a single met on my hip.  Just got a new scan result showing several more mets in the same area plus some other areas all on bone.  My Onc specifically said on the bone, but I never thought to query that further.  Have an appt on Monday so will find out then if it only occurs on the surface.  Is your husband's pain in an area where the bone mets are?  What is that pain like?  How large are his mets?

Mark

nancyg
            Participant

Hi Mark

Yes,not a good club to be in…sorry you are in it too…. The dr did not indicate how many mets… Said several …yes the pain is where the mets are… Pain starts there and radiates up through back and shoulder.. He takes about 5 norco a day… Bad pain! Not sure how big they are… Next week, I want to get a copy if the bone scan results …. I will post again when I find out more… Wishing you well, Mark!

Thank you,

Nancy

nancyg
              Participant

Mark, 

Forgot to add… Please let me know what you find out on Monday … Good Luck!!

Nancy

nancyg
                Participant

Mark, 

Nancy

nancyg
                  Participant

Mark, 

Nancy

nancyg
                    Participant

Hi Mark

Yes,not a good club to be in…sorry you are in it too…. The dr did not indicate how many mets… Said several …yes the pain is where the mets are… Pain starts there and radiates up through back and shoulder.. He takes about 5 norco a day… Bad pain! Not sure how big they are… Next week, I want to get a copy if the bone scan results …. I will post again when I find out more… Wishing you well, Mark!

Thank you,

Nancy

nancyg
                      Participant

Hi Mark

Thank you,

Nancy

mark1101
                      Participant

Hi Nancy,

Sorry you have to be in this club.  You're asking a really good question I never considered.  I had a single met on my hip.  Just got a new scan result showing several more mets in the same area plus some other areas all on bone.  My Onc specifically said on the bone, but I never thought to query that further.  Have an appt on Monday so will find out then if it only occurs on the surface.  Is your husband's pain in an area where the bone mets are?  What is that pain like?  How large are his mets?

Mark

mark1101
                        Participant

Hi Nancy,

Mark

Mat
                          Participant

Don't know the answer, but painful bone mets can be treated with targeted radiation.  I had a painful and debilitating bone met in my left arm treated with radiation.  Within a few weeks after 10 shots of radiation, I had near full and near pain free use of the arm.  Now, months later, I have full use and only a little ongoing soreness at the site.

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Same here with radiation on a spot in my spine. 10 radiation zaps and a couple weeks later I can walk fairly well again. The tumor was only 20% smaller but it helped a lot.

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

Same here with radiation on a spot in my spine. 10 radiation zaps and a couple weeks later I can walk fairly well again. The tumor was only 20% smaller but it helped a lot.

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Mat
                                  Participant

Don't know the answer, but painful bone mets can be treated with targeted radiation.  I had a painful and debilitating bone met in my left arm treated with radiation.  Within a few weeks after 10 shots of radiation, I had near full and near pain free use of the arm.  Now, months later, I have full use and only a little ongoing soreness at the site.

Mat
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics