The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone mets question

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone mets question

Participant
      hi folks,

I was diagnosed with stage 2B back in January. I had melanoma ex cellular blue nevus in my scalp. This was successfully removed via surgery, and my lymph nodes were clear as well.

In April I developed some hip pain. I put this down to not being as active due to COVID-19. I was no longer golfing and was sitting for large periods of the day.

As the months have gone by the pain has gotten worse. At the end of April I bought a Peloton bike, and I’ve cycled close to 300 miles and lost 16lbs or so.

The hip pain still persists. Actually I played golf a few weeks ago and I noticed the pain was gone for a few days after golfing (and I’m golfing tomorrow again so I’m interested to see how I am afterwards).

I have my 6 month CT scan next week, with results on July 6th. They will be scanning my pelvis so if there are bone mets in my hip they’ll be able to see it.

The pain is in my hip flexor which is common for cyclists, but the pain did appear before I got the bike so I’m not sure if cycling is just making it worse or if it actually is bone mets or not. I’ll find soon I guess.

My question for anyone that had bone mets – did you have bone mes without any other metastasis? I was under the impression that bone mets were a sign of advanced cancer, and that it would typically end up in your organs first, but perhaps that’s not the case.

Also, for anyone with bone mets did it hurt? The pain I feel honestly feels muscular. I only really feel pain when sitting or getting up, but if i’m walking or even cycling I don’t feel it at all then.

Thanks,
      sj.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          I had pain from bone mets, before PET scans showed melanoma in my bones. I had melanoma only in my bones, not in any organs. After my bone cancer disappeared thanks to immunotherapy, melanoma developed in a lymph node. In August and September 2015 melanoma in a rib caused pain running and when reaching to shift gears bicycling. Walking became very painful in February 2016. A March 2016 PET scan showed cancer in many of my bones.
            sj
            Participant
              Thank you Edwin! That helps. The pain you had, did it feel muscular? How are you doing now?
              Edwin
              Participant
                I could not tell whether the pain in my back in 2015 was muscular. I have had lower back muscular pain a few times in my life. The 2015 back pain was higher in my back and toward the right side. The 2016 pain did not feel muscular. I am well now. My last two PET scans showed NED.
                sj
                Participant
                  Congratulations. That’s awesome!
                  Sdmotorcop
                  Participant
                    SJ, could is possibly be related to a sciatic issue? As the owner of two back fusions (#3 on its way after Mel treatments). I find that with my sciatic nerve, ice is one of the few things that’ll calm it down. Might be worth a try to see if it is your sciati. At least then you’ll have a starting point.
                    MIRELA
                    Participant
                      Hi, after ipi and nivo ,when the bine tumor start to regres?
                      MIRELA
                      Participant
                        Hi, after ipi and nivo ,when the bone tumor start to regres?
                      Summer S.
                      Participant
                        Hi dear,

My mom had bone Mets about 10 months ago, pain seemed similar to what you described, she had trouble sitting/standing or walking for too long. It was also In pelvis and hip bones.

Anyway, our oncologist highly recommended radiotherapy, and it really worked – (yeay!)

I remember that we were recommended 10 sessions and she already started getting better by the 6th or 7th.

We found significant improvement on the first PET/CT, and there is no sign for cancer in her bones now

We are still struggling with almost every other lesion though – wish us luck :))

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics