The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone mets and vemurafenib

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone mets and vemurafenib

Participant

So most of my mets are all on bone.  I have qualified for a trial which tests the sequencing of Vemurafenib with IL-2.  I have begun to experience some pain in lower back and shoulder-upper arm where scans showed some of the mets set up shop.  My question for anyone with experience is what can I expect regarding relief of this pain from Vemurafenib?  Or will I likely have to get into the IL-2 before this might occur?  Finally…in the meantime are there things I can do to mitigate the pain I am experiencing?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Mark, in January 2013, I started to get pain in my left wrist.  This was actually my first symptom of metastasis  (bone met) following 10 years after stage I.  Of course, I didn't recognize it at the time, particularly since I was able to get some relief by icing my wrist and wearing a brace (the ultimate relief was provided by radiation).  My point being that you might try ice and a brace or other support in the short term.  Will not nullify the pain, but it helps for a time.  I'm assuming that your trial will not permit you to get the bone mets radiated (which, of course is a much better solution than ice)?  Lastly, Tafinlar works on bone mets (albeit more slowly than others), so zel may as well.  Best of luck with the trial.

Mat
          Participant

Mark, in January 2013, I started to get pain in my left wrist.  This was actually my first symptom of metastasis  (bone met) following 10 years after stage I.  Of course, I didn't recognize it at the time, particularly since I was able to get some relief by icing my wrist and wearing a brace (the ultimate relief was provided by radiation).  My point being that you might try ice and a brace or other support in the short term.  Will not nullify the pain, but it helps for a time.  I'm assuming that your trial will not permit you to get the bone mets radiated (which, of course is a much better solution than ice)?  Lastly, Tafinlar works on bone mets (albeit more slowly than others), so zel may as well.  Best of luck with the trial.

Mat
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Hey Mark,

I have no answers or any real help to offer.  But I did want you to know that I think of you everyday and was wondering how you are.  Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Hey Mark,

I have no answers or any real help to offer.  But I did want you to know that I think of you everyday and was wondering how you are.  Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hey Mark,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics