The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone lesion

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone lesion

Participant

Hello,

Last week I had an MRI arthrogram of my hip because of intermittent mechanical pain in my posteriolateral hip for abot 3 months (it was not getting worse with time, I would say even improved). An orthopaedic doctor I saw did X-ray (which was normal) and ordered MRI with contrast to rule out the labral tear. Well, MRI showed extensive labral tear but it also revealed a bone lesion 3.0 x 2.8 x 3.3 cm in acetabulum of my ischum bone with fluid fluid layers,"likely aneurysmal bone cyst", 
      Because of my melanoma history (Stage 1, 9 years post diagnosis), I am besides myself with worry. I made an appointment with an orthopaedic oncologist at MGH who deals with benign and malignant tumors and I assume they will do a biopsy of this lesion. How bad is bone biopsy? Did anyone have an MRI suggestive of cyst that later turned out to be a metastasis???

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Hi, it is definitely appropriate to diligently follow-up on this–as you are doing.  I was Stage I 10 years ago and am now Stage IV.  I was diagnosed in July 2013 with a heavy and aggressive tumor burden and, therefore, limited treatment options (so far, so good on current treatment).  However, the first "sign" that I had was severe left arm pain, which first occurred in early January.  Given the passage of time, I never even suspected melanoma or any anything serious for that matter.  I assumed my pain was as a result of carrying around my 4 year old or from typing, etc.  I didn't have my arm x-rayed, etc.  Turns out that it was a bone lesion.  Now, to be clear, my situation is atypical and my intent is not to increase your worry.  Rather, it is to validate your vigilence.  (Note: I did not have a bone biopsy, so I can't speak to that.)

Mat
          Participant

Hi, it is definitely appropriate to diligently follow-up on this–as you are doing.  I was Stage I 10 years ago and am now Stage IV.  I was diagnosed in July 2013 with a heavy and aggressive tumor burden and, therefore, limited treatment options (so far, so good on current treatment).  However, the first "sign" that I had was severe left arm pain, which first occurred in early January.  Given the passage of time, I never even suspected melanoma or any anything serious for that matter.  I assumed my pain was as a result of carrying around my 4 year old or from typing, etc.  I didn't have my arm x-rayed, etc.  Turns out that it was a bone lesion.  Now, to be clear, my situation is atypical and my intent is not to increase your worry.  Rather, it is to validate your vigilence.  (Note: I did not have a bone biopsy, so I can't speak to that.)

Mat
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

A fluid filled lesion on the bone is not likely to be a melanoma tumor.  If the radiologist thought it had malignancy potential, the wording would have said just that:   "Suspicious for malignancy". Sometimes, things are exactly what they seem. Certainly doesn't hurt to check it out, but don't jump to conclusions.

Janner
                Participant

A fluid filled lesion on the bone is not likely to be a melanoma tumor.  If the radiologist thought it had malignancy potential, the wording would have said just that:   "Suspicious for malignancy". Sometimes, things are exactly what they seem. Certainly doesn't hurt to check it out, but don't jump to conclusions.

Janner
                  Participant

POW
                    Participant

I agree with both Mat and Janner. A fluid-filled cyst looks very different on an MRI than does a solid tumor like melanoma. You most probably have a cyst. But Mat is right, too. With a history of melanoma, it's always best to get weird things checked out. Relax and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

POW
                      Participant

I agree with both Mat and Janner. A fluid-filled cyst looks very different on an MRI than does a solid tumor like melanoma. You most probably have a cyst. But Mat is right, too. With a history of melanoma, it's always best to get weird things checked out. Relax and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

POW
                        Participant

paul Lyons
                          Participant

Hello.

I recently had a bone biopsy. It's a simple procedure, generally.. It was sore at the biopsy site for a few days with no residual pain a few weeks out.

Best of luck,

Paul

paul Lyons
                            Participant

Hello.

I recently had a bone biopsy. It's a simple procedure, generally.. It was sore at the biopsy site for a few days with no residual pain a few weeks out.

Best of luck,

Paul

paul Lyons
                              Participant

Hello.

Best of luck,

Paul

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics