The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biochemotherapy, 3 rounds total, stage 3B, when did you loose your hair?

Forums General Melanoma Community Biochemotherapy, 3 rounds total, stage 3B, when did you loose your hair?

Participant

Hello all, I am melissa and I am stage 3B, headed into the hospital on Monday for round 2 of 3 of biochemotherapy and I am wondering for those who have been through biochemotherapy, when did you loose your hair? ( interferon Alpha 2b low dose, continuous Interleukin-2, vinblastine, cisplatin and dacarbazine is the cocktail I am in for) I have a wig picked out but i dont want to buy it until i have to. is there anyone who didnt loose their hair at all? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello all, I am melissa and I am stage 3B, headed into the hospital on Monday for round 2 of 3 of biochemotherapy and I am wondering for those who have been through biochemotherapy, when did you loose your hair? ( interferon Alpha 2b low dose, continuous Interleukin-2, vinblastine, cisplatin and dacarbazine is the cocktail I am in for) I have a wig picked out but i dont want to buy it until i have to. is there anyone who didnt loose their hair at all? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 22 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          I did the same cocktail as you, minus the interferon. I only lost about a third of my hair. I would check with your local American Cancer Society – I did lose my hair on Zelboraf and got a free wig there.
          awillett1991
          Participant
            I did the same cocktail as you, minus the interferon. I only lost about a third of my hair. I would check with your local American Cancer Society – I did lose my hair on Zelboraf and got a free wig there.
            awillett1991
            Participant
              BrianP
              Participant

Hey Melissa,

Sorry I can't help you with your question.  Just curious if you are currently NED and where you are getting treated.  Sounds like a pretty aggressive treatment plan you are undertaking and I applaud you for that.

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Hey Melissa,

Sorry I can't help you with your question.  Just curious if you are currently NED and where you are getting treated.  Sounds like a pretty aggressive treatment plan you are undertaking and I applaud you for that.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Hey Melissa,

Brian

Melissag0624
                    Participant

Brian,

i am currently NED and I am being treated at the Huntsman Cancer Institute in salt lake city utah. It is a pretty aggressive treatment plan but I personally couldnt live with a 60% chance of survival in 5 years and not do anything about it, I have been told by my doctors (Dr Antebaka and Dr Khong) that this is being looked at as a cure for me ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck to you and let me know if you need any more information. 

Melissa

kathycmc
                      Participant
                        My daughter did this treatment. She lost most of her hair throughout the 3 sessions. It started falling out a day before she went back in for her second course. We got a wig for her before her third course and she started wearing it a week or two after she finished the treatment. She started with really thick hair though. Not everyone looses their hair but if you are going to it should start soon. It took a couple of months after the end of the treatment for her hair to start growing back in.
                        kathycmc
                        Participant
                          My daughter did this treatment. She lost most of her hair throughout the 3 sessions. It started falling out a day before she went back in for her second course. We got a wig for her before her third course and she started wearing it a week or two after she finished the treatment. She started with really thick hair though. Not everyone looses their hair but if you are going to it should start soon. It took a couple of months after the end of the treatment for her hair to start growing back in.
                          kathycmc
                          Participant
                            BrianP
                            Participant

I definitely think you are doing the right thing.  I was Stage IIIB NED back in October 2011.  I briefly looked at the biochemo options but the statistics back then just didn't seem to justify the toxcities.  I think the cocktails they have today are a lot more sophisticated and definitely worth giving a try.  Back in Oct 11 I opted for about the only thing available which was the IPI vs. Interferon trial.  I ended up in the interferon arm and completed the one year of interferon.  Unfortunately I progressed to stage IV a few months ago.  After surgery I'm now back to NED and about to enroll in a MAGE vaccine clinical trial in Moffitt.  Best of luck to you Melissa.

Brian

mama1960
                              Participant
                                I am doing the very same cocktail right now. Round two, day three. I am stage four, mets mostly in bones. I am concerned about sentence I read regarding treatment causing increased pain in tumors at first. Anybody else run into this? Tuesday will be four weeks in hospital, brought here by terrible pain to start with.
                                Melissa, I hope you do incredibly well with treatment.
                                mama1960
                                Participant
                                  I am doing the very same cocktail right now. Round two, day three. I am stage four, mets mostly in bones. I am concerned about sentence I read regarding treatment causing increased pain in tumors at first. Anybody else run into this? Tuesday will be four weeks in hospital, brought here by terrible pain to start with.
                                    BrianP
                                    Participant

I definitely think you are doing the right thing.  I was Stage IIIB NED back in October 2011.  I briefly looked at the biochemo options but the statistics back then just didn't seem to justify the toxcities.  I think the cocktails they have today are a lot more sophisticated and definitely worth giving a try.  Back in Oct 11 I opted for about the only thing available which was the IPI vs. Interferon trial.  I ended up in the interferon arm and completed the one year of interferon.  Unfortunately I progressed to stage IV a few months ago.  After surgery I'm now back to NED and about to enroll in a MAGE vaccine clinical trial in Moffitt.  Best of luck to you Melissa.

Brian

BrianP
                                      Participant

Brian

mama1960
                                      Participant
                                        thrashter
                                        Participant

Melissa I completed my 3rd round of biochemo in April. Had (2) tumors that were un operable. Both shrunk and we used surgery to get tumors out. I did not lose my hair. It thinned but did not lose it. Keep up the fight. I am glad I did the treatment hope it is the same for you.

thrashter
                                          Participant

Melissa I completed my 3rd round of biochemo in April. Had (2) tumors that were un operable. Both shrunk and we used surgery to get tumors out. I did not lose my hair. It thinned but did not lose it. Keep up the fight. I am glad I did the treatment hope it is the same for you.

thrashter
                                            Participant

rock
                                              Participant

Biochemotherapy remains a promising new treatment for metastatic melanoma.

Yes it is possible to stop hair loss… But it depend on your treatment… and your imunity system…

Ref: heavy duty racks

heavy duty racks

rock
                                                Participant

Yes it is possible to stop hair loss… But it depend on your treatment… and your imunity system…

heavy duty racks

rock
                                                  Participant

heavy duty racks

mdsoza
                                                    Participant

Hello Melissa,

You are really strong girl.. My one friend is suffering from cancer.. He is completed his 2rd round of biochemo treatment, But still he didn't loss his hair… So you don't woory about it… it's happened in rare cases…

Ref: payroll management software

payroll management software

mdsoza
                                                      Participant

Hello Melissa,

You are really strong girl.. My one friend is suffering from cancer.. He is completed his 2rd round of biochemo treatment, But still he didn't loss his hair… So you don't woory about it… it's happened in rare cases…

mdsoza
                                                        Participant

Hello Melissa,

______________________

Melissag0624
                                                          Participant

Brian,

i am currently NED and I am being treated at the Huntsman Cancer Institute in salt lake city utah. It is a pretty aggressive treatment plan but I personally couldnt live with a 60% chance of survival in 5 years and not do anything about it, I have been told by my doctors (Dr Antebaka and Dr Khong) that this is being looked at as a cure for me ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck to you and let me know if you need any more information. 

Melissa

Melissag0624
                                                            Participant

Brian,

Melissa

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics