The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bad news from the MRI

Forums General Melanoma Community Bad news from the MRI

Participant

Husband got bad news from the MRI, new mets. The Gamaknife was 4months ago, they want to do WBR starting next week. So afraid of out come, with the side effects and all. Was looking to see if anyone had experences with the WBR? Also was reading about somepeople on the Board here have had good results with Yevoy with brain mets, and would it be option since he has had to reduce dose on Zelboraf twice now? So need to be able to discuss with someone, he is so depresed now. He was feeling so much better after reducing the dose on the Zelboraf but still having bad joint pain!

Husband got bad news from the MRI, new mets. The Gamaknife was 4months ago, they want to do WBR starting next week. So afraid of out come, with the side effects and all. Was looking to see if anyone had experences with the WBR? Also was reading about somepeople on the Board here have had good results with Yevoy with brain mets, and would it be option since he has had to reduce dose on Zelboraf twice now? So need to be able to discuss with someone, he is so depresed now. He was feeling so much better after reducing the dose on the Zelboraf but still having bad joint pain!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Im sorry to hear about your husband. I dont have any information I can share regarding WBR. How many mets did they gamaknife 4 months ago? My dad is on Zelboraf and is getting MRI results Monday, he had a single met 6 months ago removed via craniotomy and I hoping desperately it hasn't returned in the brain.

It must be difficult seeing your husband depressed, I really wish I could empart some useful advice, but I'm sure many will post soon. Hang in there.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
          Participant

Im sorry to hear about your husband. I dont have any information I can share regarding WBR. How many mets did they gamaknife 4 months ago? My dad is on Zelboraf and is getting MRI results Monday, he had a single met 6 months ago removed via craniotomy and I hoping desperately it hasn't returned in the brain.

It must be difficult seeing your husband depressed, I really wish I could empart some useful advice, but I'm sure many will post soon. Hang in there.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
            Participant

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

laurieformike
                Participant

They said they did 6 small ones. And now he has maybe 10 very small ones.

deardad
                  Participant

Ok, I can see some have posted already. My only suggestion is to try to stay positive, go forward and don't look back. It sounds like everyone's experience is different with WBR, some do tolerate it with minimal side effects. 

All the best

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                    Participant

Ok, I can see some have posted already. My only suggestion is to try to stay positive, go forward and don't look back. It sounds like everyone's experience is different with WBR, some do tolerate it with minimal side effects. 

All the best

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                      Participant

All the best

Nahmi from Melbourne

laurieformike
                        Participant

laurieformike
                          Participant

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

Nahmi, I would just like to wish your dad good luck with his MRI results.

I have just read in the news that Jim Stynes has had more brain surgery for melanoma mets. Hopefully his prognosis has improved significantly as a result.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

I have just read in the news that Jim Stynes has had more brain surgery for melanoma mets. Hopefully his prognosis has improved significantly as a result.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                Participant

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

deardad
                                  Participant

Thanks a lot Frank I appreciate your kind words.  Dad went in today to have some blood work done and an ECG so that he could receive more BRAF tablets. No MRI results until Monday but the blood work must have been ok or they wouldn't have given him more BRAF. His surgeon passed him in the hall and said that he spoken to his oncologist and that he was doing well on the drug….so I take that good news and run with it. I'll take any good news.

I did hear about Jim Stynes  and I hope too that as a result of the surgery he will get more time with his family. 45 with 2 kids…that's tough. Will let you know how dad goes.

Thanks Frank

Nahmi

deardad
                                    Participant

Thanks a lot Frank I appreciate your kind words.  Dad went in today to have some blood work done and an ECG so that he could receive more BRAF tablets. No MRI results until Monday but the blood work must have been ok or they wouldn't have given him more BRAF. His surgeon passed him in the hall and said that he spoken to his oncologist and that he was doing well on the drug….so I take that good news and run with it. I'll take any good news.

I did hear about Jim Stynes  and I hope too that as a result of the surgery he will get more time with his family. 45 with 2 kids…that's tough. Will let you know how dad goes.

Thanks Frank

Nahmi

deardad
                                      Participant

Thanks Frank

Nahmi

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Sorry to read that your husband has new brain mets. There is a small number of people here who have had WBR, so I hope that they will they will give you some feedback. Yervoy can be a good option, but that depends on the opinion of the oncologist and your husband's condition.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Phil S
                                          Participant
                                            My husband did WBR about one month ago, and all went well. He will have a MRI after Christmas to see the results. He is doing well, working and functioning completely normal in between biochemo treatments at MDAnderson. Look up WBR in search on mpip, and read Katy’s account, my experience with WBR as she details the process.We went into WBR with the attitude that we needed to gain control of his brain mets and we don’t look back. Just so you know it wasn’t scary, and Phil’s mental capacity appears the same as before radiation. Good luck! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                            Phil S
                                            Participant
                                              My husband did WBR about one month ago, and all went well. He will have a MRI after Christmas to see the results. He is doing well, working and functioning completely normal in between biochemo treatments at MDAnderson. Look up WBR in search on mpip, and read Katy’s account, my experience with WBR as she details the process.We went into WBR with the attitude that we needed to gain control of his brain mets and we don’t look back. Just so you know it wasn’t scary, and Phil’s mental capacity appears the same as before radiation. Good luck! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                              Phil S
                                              Participant
                                              FormerCaregiver
                                              Participant

Sorry to read that your husband has new brain mets. There is a small number of people here who have had WBR, so I hope that they will they will give you some feedback. Yervoy can be a good option, but that depends on the opinion of the oncologist and your husband's condition.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

lyndaloo
                                                  Participant

Hello – my husband had a craniotomy last May and tomotherapy (similar to gamaknife ) with WBR/ following a month later.  He has continued to work through everything, listening to his body when he needs to nap or lay low.  He is self employed which sometimes is a good thing.  His recent brain scans show no sign of any new tumors.  His eyesight is slightly off but we don't know if this is related to the ipi drug he started last month or side effects from the radiation.  WBR is a scary thought, but people get through this and continue on pretty much as before.

lyndaloo
                                                    Participant

Hello – my husband had a craniotomy last May and tomotherapy (similar to gamaknife ) with WBR/ following a month later.  He has continued to work through everything, listening to his body when he needs to nap or lay low.  He is self employed which sometimes is a good thing.  His recent brain scans show no sign of any new tumors.  His eyesight is slightly off but we don't know if this is related to the ipi drug he started last month or side effects from the radiation.  WBR is a scary thought, but people get through this and continue on pretty much as before.

lyndaloo
                                                      Participant

KatyWI
                                                        Participant

Laurie,

I wrote up my experience with WBR when I finished in October.  For me it was pretty uneventful. 

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/my-experience-wbr

Think of it this way…if you/your husband are fearful about one of the bad outcomes we've all heard about, you must acknowleged the possiblity of a totally uneventful outcome. "Worry" about that instead! 

Best wishes to you both on making the decisions about next steps and, if that's his treatment choice, on the WBR too.

KatyWI

KatyWI
                                                          Participant

Laurie,

I wrote up my experience with WBR when I finished in October.  For me it was pretty uneventful. 

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/my-experience-wbr

Think of it this way…if you/your husband are fearful about one of the bad outcomes we've all heard about, you must acknowleged the possiblity of a totally uneventful outcome. "Worry" about that instead! 

Best wishes to you both on making the decisions about next steps and, if that's his treatment choice, on the WBR too.

KatyWI

KatyWI
                                                            Participant

Laurie,

KatyWI

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics