The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bad day – ALC went down during Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Bad day – ALC went down during Yervoy

Participant

Today was not a good day for dad. Today is his 7th week and his ALC number went down. It was 1.58 berfore Yervoy, 1.98 at week 4, and today (week 7) was 1.5.  I know that ALC is a good marker for responders and it should double by week 7 so this is not good news. Is there anyone out there who had ALC number drop during Yervoy and still end up being a responder? How accurate is ALC as a marker?

Today was not a good day for dad. Today is his 7th week and his ALC number went down. It was 1.58 berfore Yervoy, 1.98 at week 4, and today (week 7) was 1.5.  I know that ALC is a good marker for responders and it should double by week 7 so this is not good news. Is there anyone out there who had ALC number drop during Yervoy and still end up being a responder? How accurate is ALC as a marker? His oncologist was pessimistic today at his appointment, he said that he didnt feel that it is working as dad's lesions have gotten bigger and more have grown and he didnt see any improvements. But he recommended dad to finish the third and fourth dose. Dad got his third dose today.  I feel so hopeless and dont know what to believe.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

Chau

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Chau, I am not sure how accurate ALC is as indicator of response. However, I agree that
          things don't seem to be going as well as expected although Yervoy can take some time to
          work.

I have read that interleukin-2 (IL-2) may be helpful in this situation. See:
          http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ipi-responders-what-now#comment-27863
          (If clicking on the link doesn't work, just copy and paste it into the address bar of
          your browser).

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

cwu
            Participant

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the link, I will look into IL-2 and anti-PD1 trials.  I am just so confused and upset why his oncologist was so pessimistic as he told us three weeks ago that it is normal for new lesions to grow and get bigger while on Yervoy. I know that the drop in ALC is not good. I am having a very difficult time accepting that Yervoy is not working. My father is 83 years old and I dont think he will want to continue or can be convinced to continue another drug if this doesnt work.

Chau

cwu
              Participant

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the link, I will look into IL-2 and anti-PD1 trials.  I am just so confused and upset why his oncologist was so pessimistic as he told us three weeks ago that it is normal for new lesions to grow and get bigger while on Yervoy. I know that the drop in ALC is not good. I am having a very difficult time accepting that Yervoy is not working. My father is 83 years old and I dont think he will want to continue or can be convinced to continue another drug if this doesnt work.

Chau

cwu
                Participant

Hi Frank,

Chau

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Chau, I am not sure how accurate ALC is as indicator of response. However, I agree that
                  things don't seem to be going as well as expected although Yervoy can take some time to
                  work.

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ipi-responders-what-now#comment-27863
                  (If clicking on the link doesn't work, just copy and paste it into the address bar of
                  your browser).

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

work.

your browser).

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics