The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Aspirin

Forums General Melanoma Community Aspirin

Participant

Does anyone take aspirin to try to keep the cancer from returning?

There's been a bit written, and some from cancer doctors.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/11/aspirin-cuts-melanoma-risk-study-finds/

Not sure who funded this.  Wonder what it does to your stomach lining, but otherwise at least really shouldn’t harm anyone.  I think something similar came out about Advil and melanoma.  Who provided the funding?  I think further study is warranted to confirm the findings (study relied on self-reported use of aspirin and did not control for some factors such as family history and hair color).

JC
          Participant

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/11/aspirin-cuts-melanoma-risk-study-finds/

Not sure who funded this.  Wonder what it does to your stomach lining, but otherwise at least really shouldn’t harm anyone.  I think something similar came out about Advil and melanoma.  Who provided the funding?  I think further study is warranted to confirm the findings (study relied on self-reported use of aspirin and did not control for some factors such as family history and hair color).

JC
            Participant

Ashley
                Participant

No offense, but I don't buy it…. my dad has been on a full aspirin daily for the past 15 years due to a 5 way heart bi-pass in 1999.  He just found out he has stage 4 melanoma, unknown primary.  If it does work, it certainly didn't work for him.

JC
                  Participant

i think this study actually only showed the benefit for women

JC
                    Participant

JC
                      Participant

DUSTILANE
                        Participant

same thing for my husband.  he has been on aspirin since bypass in 1997 and found out in January he has tage 4 melanoma, unknown primary.

DUSTILANE
                          Participant

same thing for my husband.  he has been on aspirin since bypass in 1997 and found out in January he has tage 4 melanoma, unknown primary.

DUSTILANE
                            Participant

Ashley
                              Participant

No offense, but I don't buy it…. my dad has been on a full aspirin daily for the past 15 years due to a 5 way heart bi-pass in 1999.  He just found out he has stage 4 melanoma, unknown primary.  If it does work, it certainly didn't work for him.

Ashley
                                Participant

mary1233
                                  Participant

Check Dana Farber's website, for one.

mary1233
                                    Participant

mary1233
                                      Participant

mary1233
                                        Participant

It is also mentioned on the MD Anderson website as having possible effects on the recurrence and spread of serveral kinds of cancer. Also The Lancet, mentions it.

mary1233
                                          Participant

It is also mentioned on the MD Anderson website as having possible effects on the recurrence and spread of serveral kinds of cancer. Also The Lancet, mentions it.

mary1233
                                            Participant

kpcollins31
                                            Participant

I saw this study a while back and decided to give it a try… did not work for me. After a couple months, I discovered blood in my stool. I stopped the low-dose aspirin and it went away within a few days. I then progressed to stage IV a couple months later. Although my recurrence was in the small intestine, the tumor was on the outer wall… that tells me the blood was caused by the aspirin and not the tumor.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                              Participant

I saw this study a while back and decided to give it a try… did not work for me. After a couple months, I discovered blood in my stool. I stopped the low-dose aspirin and it went away within a few days. I then progressed to stage IV a couple months later. Although my recurrence was in the small intestine, the tumor was on the outer wall… that tells me the blood was caused by the aspirin and not the tumor.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                Participant

Kevin

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics