The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Article on Radiation and Ipi “A Turning Point for Cancer?”

Forums General Melanoma Community Article on Radiation and Ipi “A Turning Point for Cancer?”

Participant

I think this is what Jimmy B has been saying!  Ipi and radiation!

From today's article on MSNBC: "New Melanoma Treatment – a turning point against cancer?"

I think this is what Jimmy B has been saying!  Ipi and radiation!

From today's article on MSNBC: "New Melanoma Treatment – a turning point against cancer?"

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/07/10602724-new-melanoma-treatment-a-turning-point-against-cancer

Valerie Esposito, a 42-year-old mother of three, was taking ipilimumab for advanced melanoma and it wasn’t working very well. The cancer was spreading through her body.  One huge tumor, in fact, was pressing on her spine. To relieve the pressure, her doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York radiated the lump. Within weeks, other tumors throughout her body started shrinking dramatically. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        yoopergirl
        Participant

I just saw this on NBC news, how wonderful for her. Promising news indeed.

yoopergirl
          Participant

yoopergirl
            Participant

audgator
              Participant

I also just saw this and I may be an ipi nonresponder (hopefully the jury is still out but my "spots" have grown. Does anyone know more? What are your oncs saying? I go tomorrow morning for an MRI, etc., pretesting for an anti-PD1 trial. I'd like to know if I have options.

audgator
                Participant

I also just saw this and I may be an ipi nonresponder (hopefully the jury is still out but my "spots" have grown. Does anyone know more? What are your oncs saying? I go tomorrow morning for an MRI, etc., pretesting for an anti-PD1 trial. I'd like to know if I have options.

audgator
                  Participant

Roxy1453
                    Participant
                      I also saw this on the news. I go in in the morning and will be asking about this. I have had 2 treatments of Ipi, the second was on Dec 29. I developed colitis and have been on steroids since then. I think I am on the last 2weeks of this and then will decide if we continue with the other 2 treatments of Ipi. This report sounds very interesting.
                        NYKaren
                        Participant
                          Wow!
                          I’m so happy for her!
                          I start ipi reinduction tomorrow. I had radiation prior to ipi last time… I’ll surely be asking about the opposite this time!
                          Head and neck radiation had some annoying side-effects for me–
                          permanent bald spot, loss of most salivary production (sometimes i don’t even have enough spit to swallow) And it didn’t stop the melanoma. But the idea of doing it in reverse and being NED; I’d take it all again in a heartbeat.

Good luck to me getting any sleep tonight!
                          Karen

NYKaren
                          Participant
                            Wow!
                            I’m so happy for her!
                            I start ipi reinduction tomorrow. I had radiation prior to ipi last time… I’ll surely be asking about the opposite this time!
                            permanent bald spot, loss of most salivary production (sometimes i don’t even have enough spit to swallow) And it didn’t stop the melanoma. But the idea of doing it in reverse and being NED; I’d take it all again in a heartbeat.

Karen

NYKaren
                            Participant
                              Wow!
                              I’m so happy for her!

Karen

Lisa13
                              Participant

This is amazing!  Considering I just started ipi renduction, it would be amazing to use radiation.  When they mention reversing it, what do they mean?

Thanks for letting us all know!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                Participant

This is amazing!  Considering I just started ipi renduction, it would be amazing to use radiation.  When they mention reversing it, what do they mean?

Lisa

LuckyMan51
                                  Participant

Hi, 

I my second Ipi infusion and go for the Radiosurgery/cyberknife procedure for a single brain leison tomorrow.

I has a skin melanoma in 2000 and a routine scan in August 2011 picked up a single melanoma in the lower left lung lobe which was surgically resected/removed. The recent news of the brain leison was certainly an unwelcome suprise but I just saw this Ipi and radiation combination article posted on Dr Jedd Wolchecks MSK page and got pretty psyched. I'll let you know what happens. Please alert me as to anything else you read about it. Good luck to you. 

LuckyMan51
                                    Participant

Hi, 

I my second Ipi infusion and go for the Radiosurgery/cyberknife procedure for a single brain leison tomorrow.

I has a skin melanoma in 2000 and a routine scan in August 2011 picked up a single melanoma in the lower left lung lobe which was surgically resected/removed. The recent news of the brain leison was certainly an unwelcome suprise but I just saw this Ipi and radiation combination article posted on Dr Jedd Wolchecks MSK page and got pretty psyched. I'll let you know what happens. Please alert me as to anything else you read about it. Good luck to you. 

LuckyMan51
                                      Participant

Hi, 

LuckyMan51
                                        Participant

Hi, 

LuckyMan51
                                          Participant

Hi, 

LuckyMan51
                                            Participant

Hi, 

Lisa13
                                              Participant

Lisa

Roxy1453
                                              Participant
                                                I also saw this on the news. I go in in the morning and will be asking about this. I have had 2 treatments of Ipi, the second was on Dec 29. I developed colitis and have been on steroids since then. I think I am on the last 2weeks of this and then will decide if we continue with the other 2 treatments of Ipi. This report sounds very interesting.
                                                Roxy1453
                                                Participant
                                              Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics