The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Arm Amputation Recommended

Forums General Melanoma Community Arm Amputation Recommended

Participant

Hello-After nine years of battle and almost two years of GSK Braf and Braf/MEK, a gigantic tumor has lodged in the humerous, shoulder, and all surrounding muscle.  Went to an ocology orthapedic today and  arm/ shoulder amputation was recommend for my brother.  We are devistated and wonder if anyone has any other ideas.  The surgeon recommended this take place next week.  Looking for alternatives or support from anyone else who had to go through this procedure.  thank you.

MrsMarilyn

Sister of Gary stage IV since 2003

Hello-After nine years of battle and almost two years of GSK Braf and Braf/MEK, a gigantic tumor has lodged in the humerous, shoulder, and all surrounding muscle.  Went to an ocology orthapedic today and  arm/ shoulder amputation was recommend for my brother.  We are devistated and wonder if anyone has any other ideas.  The surgeon recommended this take place next week.  Looking for alternatives or support from anyone else who had to go through this procedure.  thank you.

MrsMarilyn

Sister of Gary stage IV since 2003

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kelli100299
        Participant

Hi Marilyn – Sorry to hear about your brothers condition. Unfortunately I have no recommendations, but am sure your family will make the best decision for your brother. In my prayers…..

Kelli100299
          Participant

Hi Marilyn – Sorry to hear about your brothers condition. Unfortunately I have no recommendations, but am sure your family will make the best decision for your brother. In my prayers…..

Kelli100299
            Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
              Participant

Devastating news indeed.  I don't know what to say except perhaps getting a 2nd opinion if he has not already done so.

Your post really made me shudder – I have bone tumors including a 4 cm tumor in the shoulder (in the clavicle and the surrounding tissue near the rotator cup), and I am also in the GSK BRAF/MEK trial.  So far so good, the tumor appears stable so far….

My prayers go out to your brother and your family,

Harry (Stage IV since 2000)

Harry in Fair Oaks
                Participant

Devastating news indeed.  I don't know what to say except perhaps getting a 2nd opinion if he has not already done so.

Your post really made me shudder – I have bone tumors including a 4 cm tumor in the shoulder (in the clavicle and the surrounding tissue near the rotator cup), and I am also in the GSK BRAF/MEK trial.  So far so good, the tumor appears stable so far….

Harry in Fair Oaks
                  Participant

SoCalDave
                    Participant

So sorry to hear this. Where is he being seen? This is so very rare:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6192800

Is it possible to be seen at one of the major mel sites like MD Anderson in Houston?

Prayers being sent his way,

Dave

Vermont_Donna
                        Participant

Hi,

A year ago they wanted to amputate my right leg from the hip socket down. BUT then they offered me the chance to be in an Ipilimumab trial. I had 4 doses at 3mk/kg. Very few side effects and almost one year later I am still NED! And i still have my leg. Have you considered Yervoy (ipilimumab)? Sorry i didnt read through your profile to see if you have.

Please review my profile for more info.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                          Participant

Hi,

A year ago they wanted to amputate my right leg from the hip socket down. BUT then they offered me the chance to be in an Ipilimumab trial. I had 4 doses at 3mk/kg. Very few side effects and almost one year later I am still NED! And i still have my leg. Have you considered Yervoy (ipilimumab)? Sorry i didnt read through your profile to see if you have.

Vermont_Donna
                            Participant

Hi,

SoCalDave
                            Participant

Is it possible to be seen at one of the major mel sites like MD Anderson in Houston?

Dave

SoCalDave
                              Participant

Dave

Ali
                                Participant

Although I don't have all the information, I always thought amputation would generally not cure the disease.  Maybe after responding to the Braf/MEK, they think this would be a solitary lesion?  I would guess after that big surgery, melanoma would return somewhere else.   Have you looked into the systemic treatments like IPI?   Whatever you choose I hope it goes well, sounds like he is a fighter of many years!

Ali
                                  Participant

Although I don't have all the information, I always thought amputation would generally not cure the disease.  Maybe after responding to the Braf/MEK, they think this would be a solitary lesion?  I would guess after that big surgery, melanoma would return somewhere else.   Have you looked into the systemic treatments like IPI?   Whatever you choose I hope it goes well, sounds like he is a fighter of many years!

Ali
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics