The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Are we aggressive enough in Canada??

Forums General Melanoma Community Are we aggressive enough in Canada??

Participant

Now that I've been diagnosed with Stage 4 (tiny lung mets – largest one measuring 11mm) I'm starting to wonder if our approach here is aggressive enough. My onc. has suggested decarbazine or the IL-21 trial versus decarbazine.

Now that I've been diagnosed with Stage 4 (tiny lung mets – largest one measuring 11mm) I'm starting to wonder if our approach here is aggressive enough. My onc. has suggested decarbazine or the IL-21 trial versus decarbazine. If neither of these work, then Yervoy.  That being said, is this agressive enough considering it's still small and contained?  It seems in the U.S., they pump you full of IL-2 and biochemotherapy which seems to knock the cancer out and keep alot of people cancer free or stable for years.  We don't offer these cocktails here for whatever reason. Perhaps it's required to do a first line of treatment here in Canada (chemo) which does work on some people. Keep in mind, I've had no treatment since being diagnosed Stage 3 in January. Also keep in mind that I had a very deep tumour.  I'm starting to think that I may need to be agressive at this stage and leave my family for treatment in the U.S. (I'm in Toronto). Thoughts???

Lisa

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        RMcLegal
        Participant

Hi Lisa, I believe that I'm still above ground solely because I opted for the most aggressive treatment option offered– biochemotherapy in 2003 after a Stage IIIc diagnosis.  But the rub is that I couldn't possibly have afforded to pay for it out of my own pocket if my private health insuror hadn't agreed to pay (somewhat begrudgingly!).  My advice is to seek out more aggressive treatment in the U.S. if you have the financial resources to do so.  Best wishes.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

RMcLegal
          Participant

Hi Lisa, I believe that I'm still above ground solely because I opted for the most aggressive treatment option offered– biochemotherapy in 2003 after a Stage IIIc diagnosis.  But the rub is that I couldn't possibly have afforded to pay for it out of my own pocket if my private health insuror hadn't agreed to pay (somewhat begrudgingly!).  My advice is to seek out more aggressive treatment in the U.S. if you have the financial resources to do so.  Best wishes.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

dawn dion
            Participant

Lisa

In the past you and I have discussed the similarities in our situation and both having small children .  I am being treated at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa and they are one of the best around.  Believe me if they run out of options or cease to be as aggressive as I would like I will be on the first plane to where ever I need to be.  I have already told my husband to be prepared for me to travel even further if necessary.  

I have been told in the past that chemo is less than great to be doing when you have melanoma.   I am rather new at this myself but what I have learned in the last year I consider to be very valuable.  Can I suggest where to move on to next, nope, still learning myself.  There are others here you have soooo much more knowledge that i am sure will chime in and help you.    In the beginning I counted on everything my Drs. told me and have since learned that they are not always the last word.

Coming strictly from a moms perspective, You are here asking this question, so to me it would seem that you feel as if they are not aggressive enough. Believe me I know the sleepless nights you are having, watching your baby sleep, wondering what in the world you are going to do next.  If this is how you feel Lisa FOLLOW your gut.   I believe strongly in intuition and wish I had followed mine more closely, instead of relying on others to lead me, before this happened.

I am really bummed for you that the nodules came back Mel. but it is what it is now and all you can do is fight as hard as you can for your little girl.   Not that things don't suck for your husband, but he is a big boy, and while he may need you, SHE is the one who needs you the most.   Do what you feel deep down is right for YOU.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

dawn dion
              Participant

Lisa

In the past you and I have discussed the similarities in our situation and both having small children .  I am being treated at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa and they are one of the best around.  Believe me if they run out of options or cease to be as aggressive as I would like I will be on the first plane to where ever I need to be.  I have already told my husband to be prepared for me to travel even further if necessary.  

I have been told in the past that chemo is less than great to be doing when you have melanoma.   I am rather new at this myself but what I have learned in the last year I consider to be very valuable.  Can I suggest where to move on to next, nope, still learning myself.  There are others here you have soooo much more knowledge that i am sure will chime in and help you.    In the beginning I counted on everything my Drs. told me and have since learned that they are not always the last word.

Coming strictly from a moms perspective, You are here asking this question, so to me it would seem that you feel as if they are not aggressive enough. Believe me I know the sleepless nights you are having, watching your baby sleep, wondering what in the world you are going to do next.  If this is how you feel Lisa FOLLOW your gut.   I believe strongly in intuition and wish I had followed mine more closely, instead of relying on others to lead me, before this happened.

I am really bummed for you that the nodules came back Mel. but it is what it is now and all you can do is fight as hard as you can for your little girl.   Not that things don't suck for your husband, but he is a big boy, and while he may need you, SHE is the one who needs you the most.   Do what you feel deep down is right for YOU.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Lisa, as the depth of your primary tumour was well over 4 mm I share your concerns about
                  the treatment that is available to you. In my opinion tumour depth is a good indicator of
                  how aggressive melanoma tends to be. Here is some info about the measurement of depth:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breslow%27s_depth

I think that it would certainly be worth considering obtaining treatment in the US.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Lisa, as the depth of your primary tumour was well over 4 mm I share your concerns about
                    the treatment that is available to you. In my opinion tumour depth is a good indicator of
                    how aggressive melanoma tends to be. Here is some info about the measurement of depth:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breslow%27s_depth

I think that it would certainly be worth considering obtaining treatment in the US.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

emilypen
                    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Who is your oncologist in Toronto?

I think my hubby and i have a unique perspective on melanoma and Canada.

We are Canadians, my husband was dianosed Stage 3 in Dec 2008. After sugery and interferon there was no evidence of disease so when my hubby was offered a position in New York, we decided to move.

Fast forward 8 months and chest pain takes him to the hospital where they find a huge tumour and several bone mets.

We decided to go home to Toronto to see our oncologist at Princess Margaret.

Dacarbazine is the first line of treatment in Canada, before you can do any other clinical trial or other non first line treatment you have to do 2 infusions of dabcarbazine.

After that didn't work, he went on a P13k/Mek trail ( worked for 6 months), then on the PLX 4032 trail ( worked for 9 weeks), which he just finished now.

We met with our oncologist this week to speak about the next options and we did talk about IL-2, bio chemo and TIL among others…

We decided on IPI ( Yervoy) now, as our oncologist said that based on all the data he's seeing it's the best and most agressive option for right now. He said Il-2 is sometimes given after IPI and shows some promise, but that TIL right now is only right for a small subset of patients and same with bio chemo.

Everybody needs to make their own decisions and have a doctor they trust. We love our onc and trust him completely. We did get a second opinion in the US by a respected melanoma doc and as he concurred with our Toronto doc, it helped us make the decision to go home to Toronto for treatment.

Good Luck.

Emily

Lisa13
                        Participant

Hi Emily,

Your husband and I have the same oncologist – Dr. Hogg.

I'm leaning towards the decarbazine route first because if it doesn't work, I can start on IPI right away which is the drug that I really want to try based on all the data. Once I try something as a first line of treatment, there will be alot more options for me. I'm hoping I won't have to try too many.

Lisa

Lisa13
                          Participant

Hi Emily,

Your husband and I have the same oncologist – Dr. Hogg.

I'm leaning towards the decarbazine route first because if it doesn't work, I can start on IPI right away which is the drug that I really want to try based on all the data. Once I try something as a first line of treatment, there will be alot more options for me. I'm hoping I won't have to try too many.

Lisa

emilypen
                          Participant

Hi Lisa,

Who is your oncologist in Toronto?

I think my hubby and i have a unique perspective on melanoma and Canada.

We are Canadians, my husband was dianosed Stage 3 in Dec 2008. After sugery and interferon there was no evidence of disease so when my hubby was offered a position in New York, we decided to move.

Fast forward 8 months and chest pain takes him to the hospital where they find a huge tumour and several bone mets.

We decided to go home to Toronto to see our oncologist at Princess Margaret.

Dacarbazine is the first line of treatment in Canada, before you can do any other clinical trial or other non first line treatment you have to do 2 infusions of dabcarbazine.

After that didn't work, he went on a P13k/Mek trail ( worked for 6 months), then on the PLX 4032 trail ( worked for 9 weeks), which he just finished now.

We met with our oncologist this week to speak about the next options and we did talk about IL-2, bio chemo and TIL among others…

We decided on IPI ( Yervoy) now, as our oncologist said that based on all the data he's seeing it's the best and most agressive option for right now. He said Il-2 is sometimes given after IPI and shows some promise, but that TIL right now is only right for a small subset of patients and same with bio chemo.

Everybody needs to make their own decisions and have a doctor they trust. We love our onc and trust him completely. We did get a second opinion in the US by a respected melanoma doc and as he concurred with our Toronto doc, it helped us make the decision to go home to Toronto for treatment.

Good Luck.

Emily

ValinMtl
                            Participant

Hi Lisa,  having been in the compassionate ipi trial, I do know that you must have had a previously stage IV treatment…both dicarbazine and IL-21 are considered stage IV treatments.  That is why you are being offered those first.  Ipi has been proven to be more successful than most drugs offered to stage IV patients.  Why not try the two-arm trial dicarbazine vs IL-21…if you land on IL-21 that would be good, if you end up with dicarbazine, at least you know that ipi is the next treatment…after a 3-week wait.  A very few have even had success with chemo…don't forget, as Linda reminded me recently, we are all individuals who all respond differently.

As for IL-2 and biochem keep them in mind, do your research and be ready to proceed if ipilimumab fails who knows maybe by then they might come to Canada. Just my thoughts, Val stage IV

Lisa13
                                Participant

I've decided to take the decarbazine approach which I start next Friday. Although I'm not happy about taking anything that will kill my immune system, I don't have a choice.   Doing the IL-21 trial, I'd have to wait for a bed to become available and I don't want to wait while I have cancer in my lungs.  My onc. said I would know in 2 weeks if the decarbazine is working and will monitor me very closly with scans so the cancer doesn't run away.

Apparently decarbazine works quite well for people who have very little tumour burden, so we'll see. Wouldn't that be marvelous if it worked?!  If not, I can switch to IPI.  I'll be taking some supplements that are safe and effective to keep me strong during chemo – but at least decarbazine is easily tolerated.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                  Participant

I've decided to take the decarbazine approach which I start next Friday. Although I'm not happy about taking anything that will kill my immune system, I don't have a choice.   Doing the IL-21 trial, I'd have to wait for a bed to become available and I don't want to wait while I have cancer in my lungs.  My onc. said I would know in 2 weeks if the decarbazine is working and will monitor me very closly with scans so the cancer doesn't run away.

Apparently decarbazine works quite well for people who have very little tumour burden, so we'll see. Wouldn't that be marvelous if it worked?!  If not, I can switch to IPI.  I'll be taking some supplements that are safe and effective to keep me strong during chemo – but at least decarbazine is easily tolerated.

Lisa

ValinMtl
                                  Participant

Hi Lisa,  having been in the compassionate ipi trial, I do know that you must have had a previously stage IV treatment…both dicarbazine and IL-21 are considered stage IV treatments.  That is why you are being offered those first.  Ipi has been proven to be more successful than most drugs offered to stage IV patients.  Why not try the two-arm trial dicarbazine vs IL-21…if you land on IL-21 that would be good, if you end up with dicarbazine, at least you know that ipi is the next treatment…after a 3-week wait.  A very few have even had success with chemo…don't forget, as Linda reminded me recently, we are all individuals who all respond differently.

As for IL-2 and biochem keep them in mind, do your research and be ready to proceed if ipilimumab fails who knows maybe by then they might come to Canada. Just my thoughts, Val stage IV

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics