The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone had any luck getting assitance with Yervoy?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone had any luck getting assitance with Yervoy?

Participant

Eric's Oncologist told him he doesn't have 30 days to wait for the washout period to get into another clinical trial because his cancer is spreading fast.  He said that Eric needs to start Yervoy immediately, but Eric's insurance does not cover the cost of the drug.  We were told we could appeal but Eric's Oncologist said they aren't having any luck with getting the insurance companies to cover Yervoy.  He has had other patients running into this problem.  Has anyone here had any luck with assitance?

JillNEric in OH

Eric's Oncologist told him he doesn't have 30 days to wait for the washout period to get into another clinical trial because his cancer is spreading fast.  He said that Eric needs to start Yervoy immediately, but Eric's insurance does not cover the cost of the drug.  We were told we could appeal but Eric's Oncologist said they aren't having any luck with getting the insurance companies to cover Yervoy.  He has had other patients running into this problem.  Has anyone here had any luck with assitance?

JillNEric in OH

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        Strickland
        Participant

I asked that question at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa this past Monday and they told me they are still using it there but in a combination with other drugs. Ask if you can have it that way?

EricNJill
            Participant

We did consider that but because they are Clincial Trials he'd have to wait the 30 days washout and Dr. Infante said he can't wait that long because the cancer is very aggressive.

EricNJill
              Participant

We did consider that but because they are Clincial Trials he'd have to wait the 30 days washout and Dr. Infante said he can't wait that long because the cancer is very aggressive.

Strickland
              Participant

I asked that question at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa this past Monday and they told me they are still using it there but in a combination with other drugs. Ask if you can have it that way?

lisa36
                Participant

Below is a link about Yervoy…at the end of the article it specifically states patient assistance will be available for this drug.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110325-711045.html

I work for a pharmaceutical company and usually you can obtain assistance by going straight to them. I would contact BMS.  I found this on their website.

800-736-0003
                  http://www.bmspaf.org

Here is the Yervoy co pay program link

http://www.yervoy.com/patient/paying-for-yervoy.aspx

Goo Luck!!!  Hugs and Prayers!!!

Lisa

lisa36
                  Participant

Below is a link about Yervoy…at the end of the article it specifically states patient assistance will be available for this drug.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110325-711045.html

I work for a pharmaceutical company and usually you can obtain assistance by going straight to them. I would contact BMS.  I found this on their website.

800-736-0003
                    http://www.bmspaf.org

Here is the Yervoy co pay program link

http://www.yervoy.com/patient/paying-for-yervoy.aspx

Goo Luck!!!  Hugs and Prayers!!!

Lisa

MichaelFL
                    Participant

Contact Information
                      Bristol-Myers Squibb Destination Access – IXEMPRA Patient Assistance Program
                      6900 College Boulevard, Suite 1000
                      Overland Park, KS 66211
                      1-(800) 861-0048 (phone)
                      1-(888) 776-2370 (fax)

Good luck to you both,

Michael

MichaelFL
                      Participant

Contact Information
                        Bristol-Myers Squibb Destination Access – IXEMPRA Patient Assistance Program
                        6900 College Boulevard, Suite 1000
                        Overland Park, KS 66211
                        1-(800) 861-0048 (phone)
                        1-(888) 776-2370 (fax)

Good luck to you both,

Michael

EricNJill
                        Participant

I filled out an application this morning and the doctor has filled out his part so we will wait and see what they do.  Thank you.

Carol Taylor
                            Participant

Holding you and Eric & this process in prayer, Friend!

All grace and peace to you,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                              Participant

Holding you and Eric & this process in prayer, Friend!

All grace and peace to you,

Carol

EricNJill
                              Participant

I filled out an application this morning and the doctor has filled out his part so we will wait and see what they do.  Thank you.

Rydell
                                Participant

I saw this on AIM at Melanoma. Yervoy reimbursements – 800-861-0048, Mon-Fri. 8am-8pm ET

Rydell
                                  Participant

I saw this on AIM at Melanoma. Yervoy reimbursements – 800-861-0048, Mon-Fri. 8am-8pm ET

FormerCaregiver
                                    Participant

Just like to say that you, Eric, and your family are in my thoughts and
                                      prayers. Your situation reminds me very much of how I felt in October 2009.
                                      It was then that we realised that nothing was working, not even the latest
                                      clinical trial that had previously looked promising.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Just like to say that you, Eric, and your family are in my thoughts and
                                        prayers. Your situation reminds me very much of how I felt in October 2009.
                                        It was then that we realised that nothing was working, not even the latest
                                        clinical trial that had previously looked promising.

Frank from Australia

morasacks
                                        Participant

My husband also has aggressive Melanoma and we don't know if we have 30 days for the wash out period.  We are working with the insurance coordinator in our practice, however she said they are having trouble getting the drug from the distributor or Vendor.  We feel so helpless in trying to get answers as to how things could be sped up.  I called the hotline below from Bristol Myer and they said to have our doctor call them.  It would be helpful to know who to call in these situations.  Best of luck to you and your husband in getting on Yervoy.

EricNJill
                                            Participant

The Financial Assitance Counselor at Eric's Oncologist office called the hotline and that's when things started to move.  I would urge you to have someone from the Oncologist Office call their Destination Access department for Yervoy.  We got an answer within a day of applying for assitance.  The called Eric's insurance directly and got the drug covered.

Carol Taylor
                                              Participant

Jill, How is Eric? And how's he responding?

Holding you both in prayer!

Grace and peace and hope!
                                                Carol

EricNJill
                                                Participant

He just had his first dose today.  I'm sure we won't know anything for a while.  Thank you for asking though.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                  Participant

Jill,

I've been thinking about you and Eric and keeping up with your posts.  You, Eric and your family are in my prayers.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                    Participant

Jill,

I've been thinking about you and Eric and keeping up with your posts.  You, Eric and your family are in my prayers.

Jerry from Cape Cod

EricNJill
                                                      Participant

He just had his first dose today.  I'm sure we won't know anything for a while.  Thank you for asking though.

Carol Taylor
                                                        Participant

Jill, How is Eric? And how's he responding?

Holding you both in prayer!

Grace and peace and hope!
                                                          Carol

EricNJill
                                                          Participant

The Financial Assitance Counselor at Eric's Oncologist office called the hotline and that's when things started to move.  I would urge you to have someone from the Oncologist Office call their Destination Access department for Yervoy.  We got an answer within a day of applying for assitance.  The called Eric's insurance directly and got the drug covered.

morasacks
                                                          Participant

My husband also has aggressive Melanoma and we don't know if we have 30 days for the wash out period.  We are working with the insurance coordinator in our practice, however she said they are having trouble getting the drug from the distributor or Vendor.  We feel so helpless in trying to get answers as to how things could be sped up.  I called the hotline below from Bristol Myer and they said to have our doctor call them.  It would be helpful to know who to call in these situations.  Best of luck to you and your husband in getting on Yervoy.

morasacks
                                                            Participant

Dear Jill:

I just read your husband's history and it is very similar to ours.  We also have two daughters, named Samantha and Madeline.  My husbands right leg is also massive with tumors and his cancer is so aggressive we are in panic mode trying to figure out what to do next.  We are waiting for approval from Insurance for Yervoy, but also heard of the BRAF/MEK trial.  Jerry was on PLX4032 and it did wonders, but it ceased working last February.  We were told the combination therapy may work.  We also were given the option of doing IPI/Chemo combo.  Has anyone had experience with the BRAF/MEK trial that was on BRAF PLX4032 that stopped working?  If we do go with Yervoy, we hope Jerry is strong enough to handle it.  I'm praying we come up with an answer and do something soon.  Our prayers are with your family from another family that is going through the same experience.

Mora

morasacks
                                                              Participant

Dear Jill:

I just read your husband's history and it is very similar to ours.  We also have two daughters, named Samantha and Madeline.  My husbands right leg is also massive with tumors and his cancer is so aggressive we are in panic mode trying to figure out what to do next.  We are waiting for approval from Insurance for Yervoy, but also heard of the BRAF/MEK trial.  Jerry was on PLX4032 and it did wonders, but it ceased working last February.  We were told the combination therapy may work.  We also were given the option of doing IPI/Chemo combo.  Has anyone had experience with the BRAF/MEK trial that was on BRAF PLX4032 that stopped working?  If we do go with Yervoy, we hope Jerry is strong enough to handle it.  I'm praying we come up with an answer and do something soon.  Our prayers are with your family from another family that is going through the same experience.

Mora

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics