The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone doing Anti-PD1 in Australia?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone doing Anti-PD1 in Australia?

Participant

Hi everyone,

I am currently on Dabrafenib, the GSK BRAF inhibitor, and thought I was doing great, had good scan results in late July, but yesterday I found what seems to be a new lump in my left armpit, and have had some intermittent aching in that area for a few weeks, so now I am really scared that my scans next week will show that D has stopped working for me (after only 5 months!!). Hoping against hope that the lump is something unrelated to Mel but today I just can't shake that feeling of doom.

Hi everyone,

I am currently on Dabrafenib, the GSK BRAF inhibitor, and thought I was doing great, had good scan results in late July, but yesterday I found what seems to be a new lump in my left armpit, and have had some intermittent aching in that area for a few weeks, so now I am really scared that my scans next week will show that D has stopped working for me (after only 5 months!!). Hoping against hope that the lump is something unrelated to Mel but today I just can't shake that feeling of doom.

That has led me to start trying to find out about other options so I am ready to talk to my doctor next week should we need to have the conversation about alternative treatments. Obviously Yervoy would be one option (at very significant cost, but if we have to pay we will), but I have also been really encouraged hearing the good stories about anti-PD1. I had a bit of a search last night and came up with one trial listing in Australia, that is Merck's MK-3475 which is listed as recruiting. I might not be searching correctly but I couldn't find any other anti-PD1 trials listed in Australia.

Is there anyone out there with any experience of anti-PD1 in Australia? Would be grateful for any information.

Best wishes to everyone,

Allison

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Ally,

Have you tried posting on Melanoma International Foundation? They seem to have more patients from outside the US. Also, there is a new webinar on promising new trials for 2012, haven’t seen it but may be helpful.

So sorry to hear your news, Zel has most likely failed me after 5 mos, have some ?? Spots in my abdomen, low lymphs & heart met keeping me out of all the trials. I am switching to IPI. Keep fighting!

Amy

deardad
            Participant

Hi Ally, hope that lump isn't melanoma, but the fact that it's aching makes it sound suspicious. I tried to find PD1 trials in Australia for my dad, especially Merks, but there were none in sight two months ago. I'm not sure what you're circumstances are but I would investigate going to the US to get that trial. It is so promising and Australia is so far behind trial wise.

Take care

Nahmi

deardad
              Participant

Hi Ally, hope that lump isn't melanoma, but the fact that it's aching makes it sound suspicious. I tried to find PD1 trials in Australia for my dad, especially Merks, but there were none in sight two months ago. I'm not sure what you're circumstances are but I would investigate going to the US to get that trial. It is so promising and Australia is so far behind trial wise.

Take care

Nahmi

deardad
                Participant

Take care

Nahmi

awillett1991
                Participant
                  Ally,

Have you tried posting on Melanoma International Foundation? They seem to have more patients from outside the US. Also, there is a new webinar on promising new trials for 2012, haven’t seen it but may be helpful.

So sorry to hear your news, Zel has most likely failed me after 5 mos, have some ?? Spots in my abdomen, low lymphs & heart met keeping me out of all the trials. I am switching to IPI. Keep fighting!

Amy

awillett1991
                  Participant
                    Ally,

Amy

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

Allison, I concur with you regarding anti PD-1 trials. From what I have read, early
                      results of these trials seem to be very promising indeed. Unfortunately, the big problem
                      locally is that there is a serious lack of stage 4 treatment options. New clinical
                      trials here seem to be very limited in number.

I feel that the best melanoma treatments are generally available in the States at the
                      moment.

Here is a link to melanoma specific anti PD-1 trials that are currently recruiting
                      patients:
                      http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma+pd-1

For general MDX-1106 (anti PD-1) trials see:
                      http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=MDX-1106&recr=Open

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

Allison, I concur with you regarding anti PD-1 trials. From what I have read, early
                        results of these trials seem to be very promising indeed. Unfortunately, the big problem
                        locally is that there is a serious lack of stage 4 treatment options. New clinical

I feel that the best melanoma treatments are generally available in the States at the
                        moment.

Here is a link to melanoma specific anti PD-1 trials that are currently recruiting
                        patients:

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

moment.

patients:

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

AllyNTAus
                          Participant

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will look into those other trial options with my doctor next week should it turn out to be a progression of the disease. The thought of having to up and go to the States is scary but if I have to I will.

AllyNTAus
                            Participant

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will look into those other trial options with my doctor next week should it turn out to be a progression of the disease. The thought of having to up and go to the States is scary but if I have to I will.

AllyNTAus
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics