The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anti – PD 1 questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Anti – PD 1 questions

Participant

I have been reading about this Trial and have some question.  It seems this would offer lots of promise to us with melanoma.

My questions are:

1.  what is the delivery method of Anit-pd1?  Is it done IV, or is this a pill, or a cream.

2.  How does it know the difference between Healthly skin and the Tumor?

MikeWI

stage 2c

I have been reading about this Trial and have some question.  It seems this would offer lots of promise to us with melanoma.

My questions are:

1.  what is the delivery method of Anit-pd1?  Is it done IV, or is this a pill, or a cream.

2.  How does it know the difference between Healthly skin and the Tumor?

MikeWI

stage 2c

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant

Hi Mike, 

I cannot help you with number 2, but I can tell you that it is administered as an IV infusion.

All the best,

karen

NYKaren
          Participant

Hi Mike, 

I cannot help you with number 2, but I can tell you that it is administered as an IV infusion.

All the best,

karen

NYKaren
            Participant

Hi Mike, 

All the best,

karen

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Here is an answer to question 2:

Anti PD-1 treatment acts on the immune system in a very targeted way, and its action is
                far more sophisticated than how ordinary chemo works.

" … (PD-1) and its ligands, PD-L1 and PD-L2, deliver inhibitory signals that regulate
                the balance between T cell activation, tolerance and immunopathology. In vivo studies
                have shown B7-1 (CD80) is also a binding partner for PD-L1, and their interactions can
                lead to bidirectional inhibitory response in T cells. PD-L1 is expressed on many tumors
                including melanoma and is a component of the immune suppression by the tumor
                microenvironment."

"Phase 1/2 experience of the anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibody, MDX-1106 (Medarex,
                Ono-4538), in refractory or relapsed malignancies was presented at the 2009 ASCO Annual
                Meeting. Clinical activity against melanoma was observed and, more importantly, no
                MDX-1106 related severe adverse events were noted."

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Anti PD-1 treatment acts on the immune system in a very targeted way, and its action is

" … (PD-1) and its ligands, PD-L1 and PD-L2, deliver inhibitory signals that regulate
                  the balance between T cell activation, tolerance and immunopathology. In vivo studies
                  have shown B7-1 (CD80) is also a binding partner for PD-L1, and their interactions can
                  lead to bidirectional inhibitory response in T cells. PD-L1 is expressed on many tumors
                  microenvironment."

Ono-4538), in refractory or relapsed malignancies was presented at the 2009 ASCO Annual
                  Meeting. Clinical activity against melanoma was observed and, more importantly, no

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

microenvironment."

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

2008 Article by Dr Weber.  
                      http://intimm.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/9/1065.full

The targeted therapies tend to work based on identifying the oncoproteins that are on the surface of tumors.

Another question (which it is to late for me to  look up now) is what is the actual delivery method of the anti-PD-1 drug into the actual tumor? versus delivery into ones body?  Is it via oxidants, bacteria or what?

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

The targeted therapies tend to work based on identifying the oncoproteins that are on the surface of tumors.

Another question (which it is to late for me to  look up now) is what is the actual delivery method of the anti-PD-1 drug into the actual tumor? versus delivery into ones body?  Is it via oxidants, bacteria or what?

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

LynnLuc
                          Participant

It is given in an IV over about an hour followed by a saline flush to push the remainder out of the line. I have done it 15 so far…

LynnLuc
                            Participant

It is given in an IV over about an hour followed by a saline flush to push the remainder out of the line. I have done it 15 so far…

LynnLuc
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics