The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Another Update

Participant
      Just thought I’d fill you all in on the latest roller coaster ride. Yesterday Kevin got the clear PET scan results (yea!). Today we get a call from the scheduling place to schedule his MRI. He responds that it is scheduled for November. They then have him talk to the treatment coordinator. She sends Kevin the results of the PET scan showing something ‘not 100%’ with his liver. Well, I guess one part of his liver took on more contrast than another part. There is no mass nor was there a determined amount of contrast intake, but they want an MRI just to be safe.

After I got a chance to talk with her, I got to understand that if Kevin had just a routine check up with normal labs done, there would be no reason to do this. Even with the information they have, they deem it ‘normal’, but given Kevin’s melanoma history, they don’t want to take any chances. I am so greatful to have such a thorough medical team working with us! Now to get through an MRI!

Oh and btw, the treatment coordinator agrees with me that Kevin should be scanned every 3 months and will make sure the insurance covers it! Love this team! It definitely helps when you trust your team of doctors.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Glad they are keeping close tabs on all the findings…..probably overkill…but that's not a bad thing.  And, yes.  At this point…melanoma therapy has come far enough that given his history and the point at which he is at, every three month scans are the standard of care.  Before effective treatments like ipi and anti-PD1, isn't wasn't as important…..cause….what was there to do anyway?  But…luckily…we now have some options, as limited as they may be…they are so much more than what they were when I started this journey!!!  Hoping that all goes well on your MRI!  Wishing you both well!  Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Glad they are keeping close tabs on all the findings…..probably overkill…but that's not a bad thing.  And, yes.  At this point…melanoma therapy has come far enough that given his history and the point at which he is at, every three month scans are the standard of care.  Before effective treatments like ipi and anti-PD1, isn't wasn't as important…..cause….what was there to do anyway?  But…luckily…we now have some options, as limited as they may be…they are so much more than what they were when I started this journey!!!  Hoping that all goes well on your MRI!  Wishing you both well!  Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics