The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another surgery…could use some good thoughts

Forums General Melanoma Community Another surgery…could use some good thoughts

Participant

I have pre-op tomorrow and Tuesday I have my surgery. I'm having a tumo removed from inside my leg in back of the knee. They are going to use a nerve block, injecting me in the lower back, which I'm really scared about. I'd rather be put to sleep. They have to make sure the Melanoma hasn't spread which is why they're removing the tumor. I'm really nervous about the surgery and the pathology. I could use any good wishes and thoughts right now…. thanks.

Becca

I have pre-op tomorrow and Tuesday I have my surgery. I'm having a tumo removed from inside my leg in back of the knee. They are going to use a nerve block, injecting me in the lower back, which I'm really scared about. I'd rather be put to sleep. They have to make sure the Melanoma hasn't spread which is why they're removing the tumor. I'm really nervous about the surgery and the pathology. I could use any good wishes and thoughts right now…. thanks.

Becca

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        tonirey
        Participant

Wishing you all the best tomorrow and Tuesday, Becca!  Surgery is scary, but chances are you are in excellent hands, and the sooner you have all the information about your condition, the sooner you can get treatment.  Hang tough and try not to worry too much.

tonirey
          Participant

Wishing you all the best tomorrow and Tuesday, Becca!  Surgery is scary, but chances are you are in excellent hands, and the sooner you have all the information about your condition, the sooner you can get treatment.  Hang tough and try not to worry too much.

lhaley
            Participant

Becca,

Good thoughts coming your way!

I just had another tumor removed on the inside of my elbow 3 weeks ago.  The surgery went well and am healing now. Because it was on the nerve they didn't get margins so am starting radiation tomorrow to hopefully stop loose cells.

Did they explain why they are using the nerve block instead of putting you to sleep?  Tomorrow during pre-op make sure to have them explain why and step by step the procedure. Often if you understand and know what to expect it will help alliviate the fears.

During my last 2 surgeries they started me while awake in a ct machine so they could find the tumor. They put a wire in to hook onto the tumor so then the surgeon could get in and out easier.  The first time I was really scared going into the procedure. Second time I knew what to expect and didn't ask or need any meds to calm me down.

Sendinf cyber hugs,

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

Becca,

Good thoughts coming your way!

I just had another tumor removed on the inside of my elbow 3 weeks ago.  The surgery went well and am healing now. Because it was on the nerve they didn't get margins so am starting radiation tomorrow to hopefully stop loose cells.

Did they explain why they are using the nerve block instead of putting you to sleep?  Tomorrow during pre-op make sure to have them explain why and step by step the procedure. Often if you understand and know what to expect it will help alliviate the fears.

During my last 2 surgeries they started me while awake in a ct machine so they could find the tumor. They put a wire in to hook onto the tumor so then the surgeon could get in and out easier.  The first time I was really scared going into the procedure. Second time I knew what to expect and didn't ask or need any meds to calm me down.

Sendinf cyber hugs,

Linda

ValinMtl
                Participant

Wishing you the best on your operation.  I chose an epidural when they did corrective plastic surgery on my leg (removing skin from stomach to leg)…didn't feel a thing…excellent caring anethesiologist.  I was subjected to Lady Gaga (young plastic surgeon who asked my permission to put on music)…would have preferred 60s music.   Val, stage IV 

ValinMtl
                  Participant

Wishing you the best on your operation.  I chose an epidural when they did corrective plastic surgery on my leg (removing skin from stomach to leg)…didn't feel a thing…excellent caring anethesiologist.  I was subjected to Lady Gaga (young plastic surgeon who asked my permission to put on music)…would have preferred 60s music.   Val, stage IV 

Carol Taylor
                    Participant

Hi Becca,

Is there a chance you can talk them into putting you to sleep? I'm sure they have their reasons, but it never hurts to try begging & pleading & a really good bribe.

You'll be fine which ever way they have to "numb" you. They'll get that pesky tumor outta there and you'll be on the road to recovery. (Side note: I don't know if you've had a previous nerve block, I haven't had one in the back but it sounds like an epidural they use in C-sections…my daughter had one and loved it …if you can "love" that! She did fine and will use that method again in the future. I had a nerve block in my arm and did fine. Not the lower back, I know).

Good thoughts going your way for the surgery and pathology!

Lord, in Your mercy, You call the shots about the nerve block or going under, and please let this surgery get the melanoma and let Becca's report come back good. Thank You Lord. Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace Becca and get a good night sleep!

Carol

Carol Taylor
                      Participant

Hi Becca,

Is there a chance you can talk them into putting you to sleep? I'm sure they have their reasons, but it never hurts to try begging & pleading & a really good bribe.

You'll be fine which ever way they have to "numb" you. They'll get that pesky tumor outta there and you'll be on the road to recovery. (Side note: I don't know if you've had a previous nerve block, I haven't had one in the back but it sounds like an epidural they use in C-sections…my daughter had one and loved it …if you can "love" that! She did fine and will use that method again in the future. I had a nerve block in my arm and did fine. Not the lower back, I know).

Good thoughts going your way for the surgery and pathology!

Lord, in Your mercy, You call the shots about the nerve block or going under, and please let this surgery get the melanoma and let Becca's report come back good. Thank You Lord. Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace Becca and get a good night sleep!

Carol

ockelly
                        Participant

Becca

Ask for a little Versed… its a conscious sedation medication.  You'll still be awake but it has a wonderful side effect of amnesia.  You wont remember a thing.  I can't imagine why they would say no.

Kelly

ockelly
                          Participant

Becca

Ask for a little Versed… its a conscious sedation medication.  You'll still be awake but it has a wonderful side effect of amnesia.  You wont remember a thing.  I can't imagine why they would say no.

Kelly

Linny
                            Participant

Tons of good wishes coming to you from Central PA!

You can also ask if they can give you a set of headphones/earbuds so you can listen to music while they're operating. It will also take your mind off things.

Linda

boot2aboot
                                Participant

nerve block good…better for the body…they will 'snow you' so you are asleep…you won't know anything until it is over…make sure to get pain medicated and back on OT/PT

boot2aboot
                                  Participant

nerve block good…better for the body…they will 'snow you' so you are asleep…you won't know anything until it is over…make sure to get pain medicated and back on OT/PT

Linny
                                  Participant

Tons of good wishes coming to you from Central PA!

You can also ask if they can give you a set of headphones/earbuds so you can listen to music while they're operating. It will also take your mind off things.

Linda

Rendergirl
                                    Participant

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. You are all SO awesome. I just got home from a long day of pre-op at the hospital and they told me they will give me something called "Twilight" before they do the nerve block, so I do hope I'm really out of it. Unfortunately they said I'll have to stay at least one night in the hospital. I also might have a drain in my knee if it needs it, and they'll have a catheter into my back to inject pain meds into. If I can get around ok the next day and I can handle the pain, then I can go home. Lovely wonderful fantastic Mom is going to stay with me the whole time. I don't know what I'd do without her.

I asked about pathology results. They said they could get preliminary results the next day and full results in a week, so maybe by the end of this week I'll find out if it's melanoma spreading or just a harmless tumor.

I'll update you all when it's over and I'm home. Thank you for the prayers…they work wonders!!!!

lhaley
                                        Participant

twilight is good.  Between that and the nerve block you will not be feeling anything and will also not be aware of what is going on.  You will be able to respond to them if they talk to you. Less dangerous then putting you fully asleep.

The drain will help in your recovery. Less swelling.  Hoping to hear an all clean report, but even if it isn't you will have gotten rid of it!

Good luck tomorrow!

Linda

boot2aboot
                                          Participant

then you and i will be scanned at the same time? the 30th?

boots

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

then you and i will be scanned at the same time? the 30th?

boots

lhaley
                                              Participant

twilight is good.  Between that and the nerve block you will not be feeling anything and will also not be aware of what is going on.  You will be able to respond to them if they talk to you. Less dangerous then putting you fully asleep.

The drain will help in your recovery. Less swelling.  Hoping to hear an all clean report, but even if it isn't you will have gotten rid of it!

Good luck tomorrow!

Linda

LynnLuc
                                                Participant

Hope you are doing well and have good news to share! Any results on the path report?- Lynn

LynnLuc
                                                  Participant

Hope you are doing well and have good news to share! Any results on the path report?- Lynn

Rendergirl
                                                  Participant

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. You are all SO awesome. I just got home from a long day of pre-op at the hospital and they told me they will give me something called "Twilight" before they do the nerve block, so I do hope I'm really out of it. Unfortunately they said I'll have to stay at least one night in the hospital. I also might have a drain in my knee if it needs it, and they'll have a catheter into my back to inject pain meds into. If I can get around ok the next day and I can handle the pain, then I can go home. Lovely wonderful fantastic Mom is going to stay with me the whole time. I don't know what I'd do without her.

I asked about pathology results. They said they could get preliminary results the next day and full results in a week, so maybe by the end of this week I'll find out if it's melanoma spreading or just a harmless tumor.

I'll update you all when it's over and I'm home. Thank you for the prayers…they work wonders!!!!

Rendergirl
                                                    Participant

Hi all, I'm back home from the hospital. First off, pathology reports an annoyng benign tumor… yay!! They did the nerve block before they took me into the ER, and I remember saying ouch twice, but that was it. They were giving me something in my IV at the time so I'm sure it was relaxing me. Then I remember being wheeled into the OR and talking to my doc a second, then I don't remember anything until I woke up in recovery. Spent one night in hospital and I have a big blue velcro leg immobilizer on from my thigh to my ankle. It took about 14 hours for the block to wear off. They kept warning me that when it did, the pain would really slam me, but it never did and still hasn't. At the most it was a level 3, easy. I have a walker and crutches, but I'm already putting full weight on the leg with just a little pain which is really good. I give it another few days and I should be limping around quickly. All in all, an easy experience and I am greatful that it's not Mel. For the first time since March, I have no surgery hanging over my head. I just have to heal and get on with the rest of my life…. NED!!!

Love and appreciation to all  🙂

Rendergirl
                                                      Participant

Hi all, I'm back home from the hospital. First off, pathology reports an annoyng benign tumor… yay!! They did the nerve block before they took me into the ER, and I remember saying ouch twice, but that was it. They were giving me something in my IV at the time so I'm sure it was relaxing me. Then I remember being wheeled into the OR and talking to my doc a second, then I don't remember anything until I woke up in recovery. Spent one night in hospital and I have a big blue velcro leg immobilizer on from my thigh to my ankle. It took about 14 hours for the block to wear off. They kept warning me that when it did, the pain would really slam me, but it never did and still hasn't. At the most it was a level 3, easy. I have a walker and crutches, but I'm already putting full weight on the leg with just a little pain which is really good. I give it another few days and I should be limping around quickly. All in all, an easy experience and I am greatful that it's not Mel. For the first time since March, I have no surgery hanging over my head. I just have to heal and get on with the rest of my life…. NED!!!

Love and appreciation to all  🙂

nicoli
                                                        Participant

BENIGN !!

I LOVE BENIGN !

(Did I even spell that right?)

Might seem a like a lot of work for a benign tumor but it sure is worth it to know it isn't mel.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                                                          Participant

BENIGN !!

I LOVE BENIGN !

(Did I even spell that right?)

Might seem a like a lot of work for a benign tumor but it sure is worth it to know it isn't mel.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics