The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another interferon question, this time insurance-related.

Forums General Melanoma Community Another interferon question, this time insurance-related.

Participant

Oh, to have had a crystal ball and changed insurance plans six months ago when the opportunity presented itself!  But, as an ultra-healthy family, we've been comfortable for years with our coverage.  It's a very basic plan and met our needs, but it doesn't include prescription drug coverage.  I've only realized that this means the low-dose interferon won't be picked up by our insurance. 

Oh, to have had a crystal ball and changed insurance plans six months ago when the opportunity presented itself!  But, as an ultra-healthy family, we've been comfortable for years with our coverage.  It's a very basic plan and met our needs, but it doesn't include prescription drug coverage.  I've only realized that this means the low-dose interferon won't be picked up by our insurance. 

Yes, in the ongoing ridiculousness that is health insurance, the high-dose (administered daily at the infusion oncology clinic) is covered.  The low-dose (second phase, administered at home) is not.  And I can only imagine the price tag on this stuff. 

Have any of you here been in this situation?  If so, how did you handle it?  Thank you!  Tomorrow's the Big Day, btw, when Hans will begin treatment.  Call me crazy, but I'm on pins and needles.  Just want to get going with it already, kwim?!

Warmly,

Colleen

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Some studies show the one month high dose is as effective as the 11 month low dose. Why not try the high dose since it is covered and see if he can tolerate it. If not, he has lost nothing.

swissfarm7
            Participant

Yes, he's definitely starting the high dose treatment tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.  Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this particular insurance issue.  Thanks! : )

lhaley
              Participant

You would have to ask this before your husband takes the first dose:    There are many hospitals are participating in a trial of Yervoy vs Interfuron.  In that case which ever drug he gets it would be paid for!  

Linda

swissfarm7
                Participant

To reiterate, he's beginning the interferon treatment tomorrow.  He's not participating in a trial for a variety of reasons.

Thanks,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                  Participant

To reiterate, he's beginning the interferon treatment tomorrow.  He's not participating in a trial for a variety of reasons.

Thanks,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                    Participant

Thanks,

Colleen

lhaley
                      Participant

You would have to ask this before your husband takes the first dose:    There are many hospitals are participating in a trial of Yervoy vs Interfuron.  In that case which ever drug he gets it would be paid for!  

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

Linda

swissfarm7
                          Participant

Yes, he's definitely starting the high dose treatment tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.  Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this particular insurance issue.  Thanks! : )

swissfarm7
                            Participant

MichaelFL
                            Participant

Some studies show the one month high dose is as effective as the 11 month low dose. Why not try the high dose since it is covered and see if he can tolerate it. If not, he has lost nothing.

MichaelFL
                              Participant

Cooper
                                Participant

Yes, there have been some studies showing just the high dose is needed to extend the recurrence time.  Overall survival though isn't effected with either high dose or low dose.  Probably lot of insurance companies will stop covering it cause of the cost.  Thousands of dollars monthly,  I saw $30,000 for the medicine alone not including doctors fees and all the drugs you need to take counteract the side affects.

DebbieH
                                    Participant

I think I've seen others in here contact the maker of the drug and see if they can help.  I would also ask his doctor as they often know other ways around red tape.  When I did interferon the cost of the first month was just over $35,000 and each prescription for the low dose was $3,268 and that was in 2001/2002 but my insurance paid most of it.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that somethng can be worked out for you.

You know Cooper, I'm thinking she didn't need the negative comment about survival rates when her husband is about to start this treatment.  Do you do this when someone starts Yervoy – which right now shows an extended survival of a few months?  Do you realize that all any cancer patient can reasonably expect is delayed recurrence?  We want to delay delay delay until they DO have a treatment that gets rid of it.  So far my delay is over 11 years and I consider the interferon I took a pretty good deal.  Sheesh.

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 11+ years after interferon

DebbieH
                                      Participant

I think I've seen others in here contact the maker of the drug and see if they can help.  I would also ask his doctor as they often know other ways around red tape.  When I did interferon the cost of the first month was just over $35,000 and each prescription for the low dose was $3,268 and that was in 2001/2002 but my insurance paid most of it.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that somethng can be worked out for you.

You know Cooper, I'm thinking she didn't need the negative comment about survival rates when her husband is about to start this treatment.  Do you do this when someone starts Yervoy – which right now shows an extended survival of a few months?  Do you realize that all any cancer patient can reasonably expect is delayed recurrence?  We want to delay delay delay until they DO have a treatment that gets rid of it.  So far my delay is over 11 years and I consider the interferon I took a pretty good deal.  Sheesh.

DebbieH
                                        Participant

JC
                                          Participant

" Do you realize that all any cancer patient can reasonably expect is delayed recurrence?"  I don't know that a comment like that is positive either.  So, a Stage I patient should reasonably expect a recurrence, not a matter of if but when? 

JC
                                            Participant

" Do you realize that all any cancer patient can reasonably expect is delayed recurrence?"  I don't know that a comment like that is positive either.  So, a Stage I patient should reasonably expect a recurrence, not a matter of if but when? 

DebbieH
                                              Participant

We are speaking here of cancer that has spread,  cancer where you need treatment.  If you are stage 1 I would hope you aren't thinking everything here applies to you.  When I was stage 1A this board would have scared the hell out of me. 

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 11+ years after interferon.

swissfarm7
                                                Participant

"We are speaking here of cancer that has spread, cancer where you need treatment.  If you are stage 1 I would hope you aren't thinking everything here applies to you."

Right, and I heard and appreciated your earlier remarks in this context, Debbie.  Thanks! : )

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                  Participant

"We are speaking here of cancer that has spread, cancer where you need treatment.  If you are stage 1 I would hope you aren't thinking everything here applies to you."

Right, and I heard and appreciated your earlier remarks in this context, Debbie.  Thanks! : )

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                    Participant

Warmly,

Colleen

DebbieH
                                                      Participant

We are speaking here of cancer that has spread,  cancer where you need treatment.  If you are stage 1 I would hope you aren't thinking everything here applies to you.  When I was stage 1A this board would have scared the hell out of me. 

DebbieH
                                                        Participant

JC
                                                          Participant

swissfarm7
                                                            Participant

Yikes!  $3268 for each low-dose prescription (10+ years ago) is pretty darn pricey!  I will look into contacting the drug maker and talk more with the doctors and others at the infusion clinic.  Thanks for your response, Debbie.

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                              Participant

Yikes!  $3268 for each low-dose prescription (10+ years ago) is pretty darn pricey!  I will look into contacting the drug maker and talk more with the doctors and others at the infusion clinic.  Thanks for your response, Debbie.

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                Participant

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                  Participant

Cooper, whether or not a lot of insurance companies will stop covering interferon isn't pertinent to my question.   As far as whether the high dose alone is as effective as the full treatment, the reality of course is that we really don't know.  If my husband tolerates the drug reasonably well, he would prefer to run the course if possible.  Thanks for replying. : )

swissfarm7
                                                                    Participant

Cooper, whether or not a lot of insurance companies will stop covering interferon isn't pertinent to my question.   As far as whether the high dose alone is as effective as the full treatment, the reality of course is that we really don't know.  If my husband tolerates the drug reasonably well, he would prefer to run the course if possible.  Thanks for replying. : )

swissfarm7
                                                                      Participant

Cooper
                                                                      Participant

Yes, there have been some studies showing just the high dose is needed to extend the recurrence time.  Overall survival though isn't effected with either high dose or low dose.  Probably lot of insurance companies will stop covering it cause of the cost.  Thousands of dollars monthly,  I saw $30,000 for the medicine alone not including doctors fees and all the drugs you need to take counteract the side affects.

Cooper
                                                                        Participant

Cooper
                                                                          Participant

Cooper
                                                                            Participant

Cooper
                                                                              Participant

piii
                                                                                Participant

I had to fight my insurance and after 4 weeks they agreed to pay but my doctor allowed me to do the self injection at the clinic through their pharmacy for the first 3 weeks to get around my insurance. I don’t know if that is a option but you can ask your doctor.

Just to let you know I did the 4 weeks of high dose and started the 11 months of low dose. I stoped the low dose after 2 months as I felt my quality of life was worth more than the little if any benefit from the low dose.

Just my two cents

Peter

swissfarm7
                                                                                    Participant

I hadn't thought about doing the self-injection at the clinic (at least temporarily); thanks for mentioning this, Peter, and for your input. 

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                      Participant

I hadn't thought about doing the self-injection at the clinic (at least temporarily); thanks for mentioning this, Peter, and for your input. 

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                        Participant

Best to you,

Colleen

piii
                                                                                        Participant

I had to fight my insurance and after 4 weeks they agreed to pay but my doctor allowed me to do the self injection at the clinic through their pharmacy for the first 3 weeks to get around my insurance. I don’t know if that is a option but you can ask your doctor.

Just to let you know I did the 4 weeks of high dose and started the 11 months of low dose. I stoped the low dose after 2 months as I felt my quality of life was worth more than the little if any benefit from the low dose.

Just my two cents

Peter

piii
                                                                                          Participant

Just my two cents

Peter

jmmm
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              I’m not too familiar with interferon (my husband is stage 4), but what about checking with the drug company? We have received assistance directly through the drug company for both Zelboraf and Yervoy. Right now, we only pay 20% for the Zelboraf. You might check with your oncologist…they should have someone in the office who can help you find assistance for the medication.
                                                                                              jmmm
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                I’m not too familiar with interferon (my husband is stage 4), but what about checking with the drug company? We have received assistance directly through the drug company for both Zelboraf and Yervoy. Right now, we only pay 20% for the Zelboraf. You might check with your oncologist…they should have someone in the office who can help you find assistance for the medication.
                                                                                                  swissfarm7
                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks for this suggestion, jmmm.  I am thinking maybe there's more willingness on the part of the drug company to help pay for Zelboraf as it's a newer drug…?  Perhaps not.  I'll look into this.  And yes, I need to talk with the people at the infusion clinic and the oncologists' office as well and see if they have suggestions. 

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks for this suggestion, jmmm.  I am thinking maybe there's more willingness on the part of the drug company to help pay for Zelboraf as it's a newer drug…?  Perhaps not.  I'll look into this.  And yes, I need to talk with the people at the infusion clinic and the oncologists' office as well and see if they have suggestions. 

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                      Participant

Best to you,

Colleen

jmmm
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        POW
                                                                                                        Participant

Oh, Colleen! I am so sorry that you and your family have to go through all this! As if the cancer, the children, the business, the transportation, and the side effects aren't enough to cope with, now you have to worry about having to PAY for the treatment! And so many people lose their homes and their businesses trying to pay for health care in this country, It's not right; it's just not right. I wish I had some really helpful information to give you about fighting your insurance company, but I don't. You just have my deepest respect and sympathy. 

I was reading a travel article the other day and was struck by one sentence: "I’m haunted by the image of Rebecca, a 13-year-old girl, writhing in pain on a clinic bed; her father looking on with as much agony etched on his own face. 'The medicine is there,' he told me, 'but I can’t afford it.'"  Tellingly, the author (a Canadian) was talking about the horrible conditions of life in Ghana. Oh, the shame for us in the States!

POW
                                                                                                          Participant

Oh, Colleen! I am so sorry that you and your family have to go through all this! As if the cancer, the children, the business, the transportation, and the side effects aren't enough to cope with, now you have to worry about having to PAY for the treatment! And so many people lose their homes and their businesses trying to pay for health care in this country, It's not right; it's just not right. I wish I had some really helpful information to give you about fighting your insurance company, but I don't. You just have my deepest respect and sympathy. 

I was reading a travel article the other day and was struck by one sentence: "I’m haunted by the image of Rebecca, a 13-year-old girl, writhing in pain on a clinic bed; her father looking on with as much agony etched on his own face. 'The medicine is there,' he told me, 'but I can’t afford it.'"  Tellingly, the author (a Canadian) was talking about the horrible conditions of life in Ghana. Oh, the shame for us in the States!

POW
                                                                                                            Participant

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you, POW, for empathizing.  Yes, it's a tangled web we Americans weave, this insurance mess.  Nicholas Kristof addresses that very thing in his Sunday column (NY Times) this week. 

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you, POW, for empathizing.  Yes, it's a tangled web we Americans weave, this insurance mess.  Nicholas Kristof addresses that very thing in his Sunday column (NY Times) this week. 

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                    Participant

Best to you,

Colleen

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                    Participant

I don't know if this will help or not as my husband only did the 1 month infusions and decided against the 11 months injections but if nothing else works, go to someone in the hospital that deals with the billing and finances and talk to them about your situation. Sometimes you can get help with stuff just by asking someone. They can often times find programs to help you, give you big discounts, affordable payment plans. You may have to fill out paperwork to get the help but i think it would be worth your time. Hey, even a reasonable payment plan or whatever discount they may give you is better than nothing!

Mandi

Husband stage 3b

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks, Mandi! : )

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                          Participant

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                            Participant

Warmly,

Colleen

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                            Participant

I don't know if this will help or not as my husband only did the 1 month infusions and decided against the 11 months injections but if nothing else works, go to someone in the hospital that deals with the billing and finances and talk to them about your situation. Sometimes you can get help with stuff just by asking someone. They can often times find programs to help you, give you big discounts, affordable payment plans. You may have to fill out paperwork to get the help but i think it would be worth your time. Hey, even a reasonable payment plan or whatever discount they may give you is better than nothing!

Mandi

Husband stage 3b

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                              Participant

Mandi

Husband stage 3b

JC
                                                                                                                                Participant

In 2006, one-quarter of cancer patients reported that they had used up all or most of their savings paying for care; a study last year reported that 2 percent of cancer patients were driven into bankruptcy by their illness and its treatment. One in 10 cancer patients now reports spending more than $18,000 out of pocket on care.

JC
                                                                                                                                  Participant

In 2006, one-quarter of cancer patients reported that they had used up all or most of their savings paying for care; a study last year reported that 2 percent of cancer patients were driven into bankruptcy by their illness and its treatment. One in 10 cancer patients now reports spending more than $18,000 out of pocket on care.

JC
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics