The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

An Old Drug with a New Use.

Forums General Melanoma Community An Old Drug with a New Use.

Participant

In 2006 when I was stage IIIB melanoma, I had several surgeries including in my brain, and I did interferon high dose for a week.  In 2005 I had a hysterectomy.  I was put on estradiaol. 

My Oncologist put me on another drug called Megestrol, or Megace.  I thought It was suppose to take care of hot flashes,

but apparently this drug stops tumors from growing, mostly in Breast Cancer Patients, but I was given it and maybe my tumors are not growing because of this drug?

In 2006 when I was stage IIIB melanoma, I had several surgeries including in my brain, and I did interferon high dose for a week.  In 2005 I had a hysterectomy.  I was put on estradiaol. 

My Oncologist put me on another drug called Megestrol, or Megace.  I thought It was suppose to take care of hot flashes,

but apparently this drug stops tumors from growing, mostly in Breast Cancer Patients, but I was given it and maybe my tumors are not growing because of this drug?

I think it would be something to ask about.  Maybe it works with melanoma patients too.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        randallgford
        Participant

That's interesting – our oncologist put my husband on that drug to stimulate

his appetite – he lost alot of weight on radiation.

randallgford
          Participant

randallgford
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

This is synthetic progestin – a hormone – similar to natural progesterone.  If melanoma were hormone related, then it might be of use.  There has been some talk over the years that melanoma could be related to hormones because it occurs in child bearing women.  But there are also other reasons why that might occur.  Not sure if anyone has ever reached a final decision on this.  But if your melanoma isn't hormone related, I doubt it will be any type of cure.  And hormones have their own issues…

Janner
                Participant

This is synthetic progestin – a hormone – similar to natural progesterone.  If melanoma were hormone related, then it might be of use.  There has been some talk over the years that melanoma could be related to hormones because it occurs in child bearing women.  But there are also other reasons why that might occur.  Not sure if anyone has ever reached a final decision on this.  But if your melanoma isn't hormone related, I doubt it will be any type of cure.  And hormones have their own issues…

Janner
                  Participant

Cooper
                    Participant

Just to clear up:  you had brain mets and you were stage IIIb?  You would be stage IV.

Cindy VT
                        Participant

No I did not have brain mets.  I had a slow growing tumor and the neuro-oncology physician said….get it out of there.

The neuro surgeon who did the surgery said if it comes back…radiation therapy would be the next phase.

My mother read tons of information about MM and she has told me that many of the things I experienced were part of this disease.  The tumor?  again who knows.  But thanks for calling me on that.  I am Stage IIIB since 2006 when I had my surgery.  When I spoke to my doctor in 2010 after the fluid in my lungs and heart, he said even if you are NED you are still stage IIIB. 

I wish all the best. 

Cindy VT
                          Participant

No I did not have brain mets.  I had a slow growing tumor and the neuro-oncology physician said….get it out of there.

The neuro surgeon who did the surgery said if it comes back…radiation therapy would be the next phase.

My mother read tons of information about MM and she has told me that many of the things I experienced were part of this disease.  The tumor?  again who knows.  But thanks for calling me on that.  I am Stage IIIB since 2006 when I had my surgery.  When I spoke to my doctor in 2010 after the fluid in my lungs and heart, he said even if you are NED you are still stage IIIB. 

I wish all the best. 

Cindy VT
                            Participant

I wish all the best. 

Cooper
                            Participant

Just to clear up:  you had brain mets and you were stage IIIb?  You would be stage IV.

Cooper
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics